PDA

View Full Version : Flat Towing 2010 Toyota Highlander AWD Limted

lrh
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I am considering a 2010 Toyota Highlander AWD Limited as my next dinghy.

Based on the Remco website, I can flat tow this car if I add a Remco lube pump.

Has anyone successfully flat towed this car with the Remco lube pump?

I would love to hear from someone before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
Killeen

Mark3101
08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I am considering a 2010 Toyota Highlander AWD Limited as my next dinghy.

Based on the Remco website, I can flat tow this car if I add a Remco lube pump.

Has anyone successfully flat towed this car with the Remco lube pump?

I would love to hear from someone before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
Killeen

I had a 2009 Land Cruiser and got rid of it because I could NOT tow it 4 down without modification. I checked with the dealer about modifications and was told Toyota would not stand behind the warranty so I traded it for a 2010 Tahoe that can be towed 4 down without modification. I would check the warranty out before doing what you propose. Either that, or look at vehicles that can be towed without modification. My Tahoe tows like a dream and it takes only about 15 seconds to get the transfer case into neutral and less back out of neutral.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-01-2010, 01:42 PM
While theoretically is is possible to tow just about any vehicle because of all the modifications available in the market place ranging from pumps to driveshaft disconnects there are so many good vehicles that require no modifications it seems to make sense to go that route.

I don't know how others feel but I treat hooking up the toad as seriously as pre-flighting a plane. Even with a vehicle that requires no modifications hooking up a toad has many steps. We not only have to hook up chains or cables, the tow bar, the electric cord, release the brake (see signature), put the transmission / transfer case in the proper gear or position, make sure the key is in the right position, etc. we also usually have to deal with some type of braking unit. Adding an aftermarket modification generally adds at least one more step to the process, and if that step is omitted it typically has a cost of significant proportions.

Mark is right about his toad and the time it takes, and according to FMCA there are some toads that are even easier to ready for towin

GDeen
08-01-2010, 03:25 PM
We have towed the Lexus GX now to Montana and Back, Cali and back, and Maine and back, with many other trips in between. Although it is not supposed to be towable, it does have a manual transfer case. So far so good, and not a peep out of Lexus during service about the tow hookup. I am sure if we showed up with a trashed tranny they would have something to say, but you have to make that decision as to risk tolerance. Also, perhaps the equivalent 4 Runner would work if you want a Toyota product.

Another of the many things Steve Bennett taught me was to avoid visiting with folks while setting up the toad and hooking it up. A missed step or poor connection could be disasterous, so I focus on the task, and if I can't due to other distractions, just wait until I can. Usually one of the last things done before leaving, and it can be hot and I can be anxious to get going, so I make myself slow down and focus.

Woody
08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
While theoretically is is possible to tow just about any vehicle because of all the modifications available in the market place ranging from pumps to driveshaft disconnects there are so many good vehicles that require no modifications it seems to make sense to go that route.

I don't know how others feel but I treat hooking up the toad as seriously as pre-flighting a plane. Even with a vehicle that requires no modifications hooking up a toad has many steps. We not only have to hook up chains or cables, the tow bar, the electric cord, release the brake (see signature), put the transmission / transfer case in the proper gear or position, make sure the key is in the right position, etc. we also usually have to deal with some type of braking unit. Adding an aftermarket modification generally adds at least one more step to the process, and if that step is omitted it typically has a cost of significant proportions.

Mark is right about his toad and the time it takes, and according to FMCA there are some toads that are even easier to ready for towin

Jon

Come on now, mine is the easiest - all I have to do is drag my 300# car dolly over, hook it up, pull out the ramps, drive the Allante up on it, attach the chassis chains and install the tire straps and retract the ramps. This only take 10 minutes or so and gets all systems working before breakfast. What more could you want? My Saturn works like yours but what fun is that.

Pete
08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Tad, you missed a couple of steps......(1) Find something to kneel down on to keep from getting your knees muddy/wet. (2) Change your shirt before driving away because the sleeves are now muddy/wet, or greasy. I used a tow dolly for several years. OR, you can have the wife hook up the car on the tow dolly and not have to add the two steps.

lrh
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to find something that is simpler to tow.

Killeen