PDA

View Full Version : Electric Tow Hitch

dsaylrn
07-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Friends

Does anyone have information on where we can buy an electric tow hitch that raises the front end of the toad without using a dolly? Also curious about reliability of such a device.

Our toad is a KiaSoul, front wheel drive and we would like to avoid a dolly, we have a trailer already, but want something easy to use for short overnight trips.

Thanks
Debbie

Jon Wehrenberg
07-31-2010, 07:46 PM
There is nothing easier than a folding tow bar. I have seen a lift as you describe many years ago and it was cumbersome to say the least. I won't go into details but there was a lot more involved than just driving the car onto it and raising it and driving away.

The car had to be secured, lights still had to be connected, the lift had to have safety pins installed, and with the car in place there was no way to access the engine to check fluid levels and belts. The lift I saw was hydraulic and the safety pins were fighting removal. The owner couldn't get them out and as a result couldn't get the car off the lift. I'm sure is such a system is available today that issue has been resolved.