PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

george frudakis
07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I am just about to close the deal on my new bus. It's what i been looking for and can't wait.
Need POG help on what the best satellite system, in motion, to get and what the best tow car that docent need to disconcerting everything just to tow. I do not want to have to stop and run the car thought the gears to avoid any trouble. When i close next week i will post a picture on my profile with a big smile.
I can.t wait to play with my lady, liberty lady that is.

ajducote
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
George,

I have had real good luck towing 4 wheel drive Jeeps. Most of them can be towed by placing the transfer case in neutral. BUT, check the owners manual, there is at least 1 model of the transfer case that does not allow towing 4 down.

I have towed 2 different Wranglers, a Cherokee and a Commander. They all tow great.

garyde
07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi George. Motorhome magazine publishes a booklet every year on Dingy towing. All the cars that can be towed. http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?id=2456173
I have the KVH satelite with two tuners. Works fine.

george frudakis
07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks Andre
I am look at a jeep on the internet now. The 2010 need to have the battery disconnected before you tow to save the battery. What a hassle. I my get one and have a battery disconnect install Any suggestion on dish?

george frudakis
07-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks Gary will look into that

ajducote
07-22-2010, 10:27 PM
George,

Read this thread. I hae a 2010 4 door Wrangler and the owners manual was wrong about the battery disconnect and the key. Details in this thread.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?4346-2010-Jeep-Wrangler-4-door&p=61866&highlight=

HarborBus
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
George, I have towed the 1998 Grand Cherokee and presently the 2005 Grand Cherokee. The Jeeps are easy to set up for towing and there isn't any of the running the engine after 200-500 miles. I currently have the KVH in motion satellite for Direct TV, but when it craps out I'll get the TracStar 360. In my opinion the TracStar is the best in motion dome on the market.

Jeff Bayley
07-23-2010, 02:32 AM
George- I see we are neighbors. I live in Bradenton. I guess I'll be the first to put my plug in on the satellite. After just having a new system put on my bus, I will say that I'm now a firm believer in picking out the right technician first, and then he will help you pick the right system for what your budget is and what you need. Someone with sloppy inventory is going to sell you what they have on hand. The quality of the cable runs and the connectors and all sorts of things you'd never know the difference on with any number of techs that will put something on the roof that works. Rather than recount it, you can just read what I wrote here: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?3711-Silverleaf-Electronics&p=65911&highlight=#post65911

He's in TN and that's 700 miles from you but that's a good break in run for your bus and to get out of the hottest part of summer also. We're up bumping around the midwest trying to skip as much of the heat as we can. I'm going back to Gary to get a system installed to amp up my cellular service on the bus and also amp up my wireless internet cards. Less money than I thought which is a nice change. So I know Gary is only in TN (in the shot term schedule at least) from Sept. 28th - August 12th and after that he's on the road doing mobile installations nationwide and RV shows,etc. Good luck and maybe we can meet in Florida.

george frudakis
07-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks jeff for the input. Please, when you get home get a hold of me and let talk. I will take you advise on the install and would love to talk. If there is anything you need done here at home just let me know i will be more then glad to do so. Happy trails By the way love your photo, no not scar face

sticks
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I much prefer KVH and have two receivers. WAY better than my previous Kingdome system. My Kingdome could get 4+ befuddled just backing out of the bus barn or worse yet, sitting at a truck stop island fueling up. I've pulled jeep wranglers ( my current choice ) and jeep Cherokees, and Commanders without a problem. Jeeps , by far, are the most common toad on the roads.

george frudakis
07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for info sticks. Does you system come in high def? I agree, i am thinking of a jeep but looked at a gmc 4 wheeler today just to compare. What type of tow bar do you have or recommend?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
George, glad you are so excited about and have found the RIGHT bus for you. You will have many many miles of happy traveling.

I tow an 08 Hummer, the H3X Alpha, which is the small Hummer, but has the V8 Engine. I love it and it is very easy to tow.... Just push two buttons on the dash, hook up to the bus, and away you go.

I use the Blue Ox Aventa 10,000lb rated tow bar and plates made for the Hummer. Easy to hook up, and you barely see the plates on the Hummer, when I am unhooked.

The ONLY draw back I found in towing the Hummer, if you want auxilary braking when hooked up to the bus, there is ONLY ONE Internal Air ( No Box on the Floor ) Brake System. The Air Force One unit. Little more expensive, but I like it and it is a very clean installation.

Now for the Satellite system, I went with the TracStar SV360, and Dish Network for the HD service provider. If you have HD TV's in the bus, or like HD viewing, Dish network is the only way to go. Read the posts previously discussed for all the information.

Good Luck

Gary S.

george frudakis
07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Gary, i believe that blue ox aventa is what i am going to get and will check out the auxiliary braking hook up. I want to see what was on the bus before if anything. I believe the prior owner really never drove the bus much just parked her. That was evident by the low miles and high generator hours. Tracstar SV360 is a play because i want HD. I will have to purchase HDTV's. I think i am leaning toward a jeep for the reason it is small, good gas mileage and 4 doors, but thanks for your thoughts. Hope to see you on the road.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
George, Just remember to get HD thru the TracStar SV360 satellite dish, you have to go with Dish Network. And HD viewing is not capable while in motion, or driving the bus. The HD signal is too focused. Once you park, the satellite locks on and is great.

Direct TV Service will not provide HD signals thru at least the TracStar SV360. It is the service provider that allows this HD capability.

Gary S.

GSwaim
07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
George,

Congrat on the new bus! If you haven't figured out your HD DirecTV problems let me set the record straight. Over two years ago DirecTV changed the technology with their HD satellites that prevented any brand of dome to receive the signal. That forced the satellite manufacturers to design and build an automatic open faced satelltie system. Two companies have met the challenge, Winegard and MotoSat. They both have strengths and weaknesses some of which is that Winegard has less warranty but is less money initially to purchase. additionally, Winegard won't be convert easily From DirecTV to Dish Network if you switch your subscrition from DirecTV to DishNetwork in the future. MotoSat has a higher initial cost but seems to have a better reputation for service after the initial purchase. The biggest down side to the Winegard for a bus is that a special bracket must be made to install it on a round roof whereas MotoSat comes with a flexible mounting plate that bolts stright onto the prevost buses. I carry both system so I'm just stating the facts here not my preference.

Bottom line, the HD reception you get from the TracStar, a great inmotion system, is not going to be dependable due to the need of mutiple satellites to receive HD. Dish Network on a dome system is so finicky that it isn't worth the effort.

The most common setup is to have the tracstar be your inmotion SD option and the open faced HD satellite be the stationary HD system with a switch to go between the two satelltie systems. If you don't have a need to record or use the satellite going down the road then a cleaner installation is to remove the TracStar and trade it in against the automatic open faced HD system. Give me a call if you have questions. (619) 300-3114

johnbrowder
07-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Gary,
I had just such a dome/open face set up on my Royale. It worked, but I found switching between the two antennas required me to go through the sat setup process on the DVR to get the receiver to recognize the right channels. Was I doing something wrong?

Also, on my bus I used two A/B coax switches under the bed to switch between toe two dishes. On my boat I now use two Niles automatic switches to switch between my onboard dome and dockside 5-LNB open antenna. When I power up the dome, the Niles automatically switches to that antenna. The Niles switches are hard to find, and I wonder id you know of another automatic coax switch, maybe even a three way? I am currently shopping for a later model XLII, and I anticipate having both the dome and open antenna on board, and a third open antenna on the garage so the DVR would work indoors. Do you know of something other than Niles?

Thanks

sticks
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Sorry for late response, out of town without laptop. I have a Blue Ox with no problems. Don't think auxiliary brake system necessary . Coach ( and it's brakes) doesn't even know it's back there.

aggies09
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
TracStar
Blue Ox
Jeep (mine is a Liberty)

I asked all of these same questions two years ago when I bought my first coach, Elegant Lady, and this group was very helpful in assisting me with the decision process. I have found that the above combination has worked flawlessly for me.

Larry W
07-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Because of my experience last summer I will never tow a toad without auxiliary braking. We exited I-70 close to Denver. When we turned under the interstate we heard a strange noise. The rear camera showed our jeep at the ends of the safety cables. The pin in the receiver had disappeared allowing the tow bar to pull out of the reciever. The auxiliary brake set the brakes on the jeep so it did not smash into the back of the bus. Two thoughts. Make sure your breakaway cable is shorter than your safety cables, consider the receiver pin. I now use a grade 8 bolt with a self locking nut.

carguy
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I have towed many different types The lincoln mkx suv or the ford edge can be towed all four down just place in newtrel and turn the key back to the second click and you are ready

george frudakis
07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks to all who have responded. I am thinking of the jeep liberty. I look and drove the jeep wangler and did not like the ride or arm rest. The liberty drove better and had more power, but the the consumer report rates the liberty very low that why i am going to look at ford. As for satellite i am set on TracStar . For tow bar set with blue ox. Now just get my lady set up and on my way to kerrville. I love this site for the information and comrade.

Loc
07-30-2010, 11:14 AM
George,

On the satellite front I have had a Winegard, Motosat (both not in motion), King Dome, KVH, and Tracstar (all in motion). The Tracstar is by far the best of the all based on my experience. On the tow car front we haved tow a Jeep Wrangler, Chevrolet Tahoe and a Ford F-350 Super Duty pickup. The Tahoe is the best tow vehicle of the three. It is 4WD and has an M&G brake system. Put the transfer case in neutral, hookup the tow bar, lights and brake air line, take the key out (no steering wheel lock) and go. The Tahoe has room for 6 adults and is comfortable for a long side trip. I have used the Blue Ox Aventa and the Roadmaster Blackhawk II towbars. I like the Blackhawk II best of the tow bars. I bent the arms on two Aventa's towing the Wrangler.

jack14r
07-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Loc,I agree,I have a Chevy 4WD 4 door pickup with a roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar also a Saturn Vue and both have the M&G brake system,easy to hook up and simple to tow.