PDA

View Full Version : cruise air

sticks
07-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Just got back from Sturgis, and while there , seems like the front cruise air unit was louder than usual. Where do I start. Where/how do I check filter to clean? Any other routine maintenance issues? All was "done" by Liberty 9 months ago. Outside temps were 87-90 and front unit was on high all day to maintain 74 temp. Black shades down, side shades down, coach shades all down. Anything else I need to do? Going to horse show in Tulsa in August. Always 105 in the shade that time of year. I'm all ears!

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Sticks,

I guess you also have the optional black solar shades that come with the Liberty. If you put them down with the sun beating through the windshield they will heat up the front interior better than a thermonuclear explosion. Why they aren't white I will never know.

I have found the best way in the absence of white privacy shades in the front to take the load off the Cruise Air front unit is to use one of the windshield screens that snap on the front. They do a good job of minimizing the solar heating effect, and you can still see outside. They are a pain to put in place but if we are sitting somewhere for a couple of days it is worth the effort.

I think all AC units, roof or Cruise Airs have the sound level of a 747 when the fans are on high speed.

The filter for the front unit in my coach is accessed behind the panel that conceals the evaporator unit. I am not familiar with how Liberty located the filters on the H3 interiors.

jack14r
07-11-2010, 09:22 PM
With your coach being 5 years old I would clean all of the condensers as well as the interior filters.I have owned 2 Liberty's and on both of them the cruise airs were not charged with the correct amount of freon,one was so overcharged that it would go to HI-PS within 5 minutes of being turned on.The performance of cruise airs is directly related to the freon charge.Too much or too little will hurt performance,Johnny at AAP told me that he charges them by the book and then adjust the freon until the suction side feels beer cold.You can actually use a IR thermometer and adjust the freon for the lowest temp at the suction side.I just left Lexington,Ky and 2 days were 94-96,and without shade I could maintain 68 inside with the front and rear fans in the 3rd position and the port and starboard fans in the 2nd position,this reduces the fan noise dramatically.Most techs are not patient enough to properly adjust the freon in a cruiseair,but it will make a huge difference.

GDeen
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Sticks,

One thing I learned with mine is the front tends to blow cold air towards the middle or salon unit and shut it down as it reaches it's set temp. The salon or middle cruiseair, or in your case, 2 salon cruiseairs I believe, provide quite a bit of cooling to the font area as they blow air that direction. When the front continually runs trying to cool off that naturally hotter area, it keeps the salon airs idling along, which in turn provides no cold air back towards the front. I know it sounds backasswards, but it helps a lot in my bus. Try setting your salon thermostat a few degrees lower than the front and see if that helps.

The front is the hottest part of the coach due to the greenhouse effect as you know. I also have the snap on sunscreens and drop the privacy shades when it is really hot to help as well.

sticks
07-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks Gordon, I'll give it a try. I do remember the salon units poking along all the time . If it really gets hot in Tulsa ( always is ) I'll break down and get out the outside sun shades. Come to think of it, I have a large reflective " metallic" screen I used across the front of my previous Travel Supreme. I think I'll cut this into three sections to match up with the two front windows and drivers side window. Placing these behind the power shades might work just as well as the outside snap on screens and be easier to put up and take down. Ya I'm like my horses, I like to find the easier way to get around the show pen.

gmcbuffalo
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
One of the problems with the inside shades is the heats is already inside by the time it hits them.

Prevost.Rick
07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
when looking at the entire system,the most overlooked place is the evap. area(the area where the cold air comes out)the return air that is recirulated is sometime (each converter is different)dumped back in say the front overhead and not sealed off to the superheated air behind the cab,the return air needs to be blocked off so the air that is cooled goes directly back to the coil,when this is,nt done the ac takes in hot air,so say the ac should be 20 degree difference,if it has to deal with 120 degree air it may only be 10,the color your coach is can be the difference ,touch the different color while in the sun or use a temp sensor,be careful u can burn yourself,blacks deep purples,greens will make a big difference,the windows can get hot the fiberglass also,if your ceiling gets dirty where your air comes out, your return is,nt sealed it also sucks dust from behind the cab.just something to think about