PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Boat Owner, Looking for a Bus

johnbrowder
07-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I have been arounds boats all my life, small boats, big boats, fast boats and slow boats. In recent years my boating was on a widebody Hatteras 58 MY. It was a joint venture with my father and brother. It was a shared asset with all the complications that entails. My wife and I bought our first Prevost toward the end of this boat partnership, perhaps needing our own "space". We liked the bus and the lifestyle, but our daughter had gotten too old to enjoy anything about the bus.

So I had a great idea: Let's sell the bus and get a cruising boat all our own. The theory was sound. I am mostly retired, and in good enough health to hit the waterways, maybe even do the great loop. So, out goes the bus and in comes a beautiful slightly used Grand Banks Europa 47. However, it did not take long to realize that for us the flexibility of bus travel has greater appeal to us than the water-borne equivalent. The speed/distance proposition alone was a deal killer for us. When you get where you are going, you lack ground transportation.

I do not regret buying the boat, it was an option I had to explore.

Now the boat is listed with a broker, and I am starting the search for the right bus. Our first bus was a 2001 Royale. We loved it, and we learned a lot. This time around I think I want a Liberty. Bus air is attractive to me and I am impressed with many of their well=thought-out systems. I am ambivalent about slides, I see both sides of the arguments. I think it will be more about the bus that speaks to us and the big picture.

I relate this story partly to vent, partly to come clean and introduce myself to POG members, and lastly to see if there might be an XLII Liberty owner that wants to scratch the boating itch.

My boat can be seen here:
http://web.me.com/jbrowder/Grand_Banks_For_Sale/Home.html

I look forward to rejoining this group as an active member, and getting to know many POG members.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-09-2010, 02:58 PM
OK, John, maybe this time we can help you get it right.

What you need to decide will be slides or no slides, Classic or Elegant Lady. I see on the other thread you are sticking with the XLII so that decision is out of the way.

While I cannot say there is a world of difference between a Classic and an Elegant Lady there are a few that may tip the scales. The house has 3 batteries for the Classic, four for the Lady. I don't think the generator will auto-start with either when the batteries are fresh, but as they age I doubt if you can dry camp through the night without the generator starting. That extra 33% helps.

Apart from the polished copper, the waste side of the Lady seems to me that it's easier to use than the plumbing set up on the Classic. Not a show stopper, but there is a difference and after a while I would be modifying the plumbing on the Classic to make it more user friendly.

The Lady has a lot of features I laughed at originally because they are over the top such as air pocket doors, lights in every cabinet, and switches galore every where you look so you never have to walk far or stretch to turn on a macerator or light a light or dump a tank. But I can say after a while I have learned to appreciate these little goodies, even though I know they add to the future maintenance and repairs. I do like the 24 volt lighting because for old eyes reading in bright lights is much easier.

But there are advantages to the Classic. From a purely objective perspective the electrical system is simple, easy to maintain and best of all about as trouble free as you can make it. Unlike the Lady which uses PLCs to drive relays, the Classic uses a switch to turn on the lights. That's as simple as it gets.

Eliminating potential problems like air pocket doors is sure to be an advantage of the Classic.

I am certain if the Liberty people are alert you will be getting a call because they have some coaches in their inventory. They can do a better job of explaining your options. Slides???? Not my cup of tea.

johnbrowder
07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I am an XLII fan. While there is no question the XL is a very reliable and well worked out machine (kind of reminds me of the last of the air-cooled 911's), I really prefer the look and ride of the later chassis. My Royale was an '01, and I have no issue with an early XLII. But it does seem like the '03 and newer Libertys to my eye are more pleasing their decor, and certainly the AV systems require less updating.

My last bus Had no slides and I never missed them. However, I can imagine enjoying the extra space. Liberty also seems to do a good job of keeping the flow somewhat open with the slides in. So 0, 1, or even 2, I can go either way.

Most of the buses I have looked at are Elegant Ladys, though the Classics I have seen would suit me fine. I acknowledge the benefit of a simpler set up, but also the cool/fun factor of more gadgets.

Liberty has more than one coach in Stuart that would suit me fine, and there is a privately-owned bus in FL I liked very much. All I need is a boat buyer!

truk4u
07-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Welcome aboard John, or should I say welcome back.. You are a lucky guy, the bus Guru lives in Knoxville and you will soon know the secret Liberty handshake, but caution, he's into Lennon Sisters music and has a much desired collection of Lawrence Welk shows on VHS that he had converted from 8 mm.

My Liberty is an old one, but I like the simplicity of the Classic vs the Elegant. It's all about the bells & whistles and since your a previous Prevost owner, your ahead of the curve.

Good luck on the Trawler sale, what a beautiful boat and no salt water running through the risers.:o

Toy Box
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
John, you might contact Mr. Chris Hall at Bluewater Yacht sales in Hampton, Va. He deals in large sportfish yachts and Grand Banks trawlers. I think he may still have his 2007 H model Liberty for sale. Last week I know it was in St. Lucie, Fl. Hope this helps.??

GDeen
07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I am not much of a boat guy - when I was a kid, my dad bought a 36' Lancer sailboat. All I remember about trips to the lake was cleaning the hull and oiling the teak - didn't seem like we had much time left for sailing. That said, that is one beautiful boat you have for sale there though.

Good luck on your quest. Another idea might be Steve Bennett of California Coach. He has a couple of nice looking Liberties in his inventory, and being on the left coast, may know of folks in the market for a boat as well.

johnbrowder
07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks so far. Email sent to Chris, and Steve Bennett and Ken Robertson both are aware of my quest.

hobobimmer
07-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi John and Janene. So glad to see you posting on the POG forum. Sign up for Kerrville Rally. You will find something by then.... Deb and Eric