PDA

View Full Version : 24V Alternator

Jamie Bradford
07-02-2010, 06:35 PM
My 24v alternator has frozen up , the flywheel will not turn. This caused me to lose 2 belts.

I am told I will need a new one. Any ideas where to look and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks

Jamie

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-02-2010, 06:55 PM
My 24v alternator has frozen up , the flywheel will not turn. This caused me to lose 2 belts.

I am told I will need a new one. Any ideas where to look and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks

Jamie

Look here, the price is about as reasonable as it gets. Call for price.

http://www.elreg.com/

JIM

Prevost.Rick
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
is this the engine mounted or the frame mounted,it makes a difference on the reinstall

Jamie Bradford
07-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Here is a pic Rick.

Thanks

truk4u
07-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I'll jump in here for Jamie. Rick, it's the frame mounted 24 volt chassis alternator that sits under the CC OTR and runs off the same dual belt. The big engine mounted alternator is his 12 volt. Here's a pic..

Jamie - Did I do good, I want Dear to be happy!!!:D You may be able to get it rebuilt if your at home with any heavy truck alternator place near by.

Jamie Bradford
07-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Tom

Thanks for the input. We are in Michigan and I am going to try Tuesday to see if I can find anyone up here to rebuilt it. If not , I guess I will have to look for a new/refurbished one or see if it can be sent off somewhere??

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie Bradford
07-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I found someone up here who can rebuild it. Has anyone taken this off before?? Is there anything "special" that I should know???

Thanks

Jamie

dreamchasers
07-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Jamie,

I have removed mine to rebuild and replace both main bearings. I shut off 12 and 24 volt power at the Prevost switches in the battery compartment. I do not recall anything special that I did. Be sure and isolate the cables that you remove so that you avoid any major arcs. I removed the case that the alternator is mounted in at the same time. I wanted to repaint it. The alternator has to be slipped out of the case towards the front of the coach. I had a local vehicle electric repair facility be build it.

When I replaced the Country Coach bus air compressor, I reached down and spun the pulley and my bearing were rough. They little check prompted the rebuilt.

Sorry, I took no pictures.

Good Luck,

Hector

Hector

JIM KELLER
07-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Jamie, That is basically a GM alternator wound for 24 volts. It should not be hard to find or rebuild. Like Hector said tape or protect the wire ends. The large adjistment shaft makes it easy to tighten the belts when completed. Get it out of your way to remove the alternator.

truk4u
07-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Jamie,

Assuming your going to put new belts back on, it's much easier if you remove the idler pulley on your bus.

Jamie Bradford
07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Tom

You had 93's on it . A guy up here with a similar coach ( 2000 CC ) has 94's on his? Is there a reason to have either or??

Thanks

Jamie

Prevost.Rick
07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
when reinstalling watch not to over tighten belt because of the frame mounted bracket the engine moves seperately,these alt.s seem to fail in the bearing area alot,without a auto tensioner they get the abuse.

bluevost
07-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Jamie,

I had a 24 V alternator replaced in Bluevost just weeks ago in Eugene, OR. It was not easy to find. I was told Delco Remy doesn't make them anymore, and the newer semi's on the highway run a smaller alternator. I wanted a factory re-man, so that I would at least have some recourse, and it had to be overnighted from Reno, NV. It was a few hundre dollars, don't remember exactly. The yo-yo that took my pulley off the old one busted it, and the pulley was harder to find than the alternator. They paid for the pulley. All is good now.

Ken

truk4u
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Jamie,

Grab a beer and read this thread: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?2506-CC-Owners-Bus-Air-BX93-Belts&highlight=belt

The 94's didn't work on your bus because they were too long. The adjuster was almost at it's maximum adjustment with the 93's. Don't use the BX belts, they have teeth and shouldn't be used with the idler pulley.

Denny
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I too was having a belt problem and replaced them with 2/B93 and so far so good in over 10,000 miles. I also put on the triple molded belt (don't have number handy) on the other side and it too is working fine. Purchased mine from Orren. As previously mentioned, remove the idler pulley to install the belts.

JIM KELLER
07-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Jamie, I Googled 24 volt Delco Alternator. I think yours is the 3rd one down. $ 113.95 plus 7.95 shipping. New.

JIM KELLER
07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Jamie, Above information is not even close. Went home and compared numbers on my alternator with Roger Foster's alternator and I now have information that might be helpful. The model # is 19010000. They are a series # 26-S1, 75 amps, 24 volt, neg ground. Used mostly on Caterpillar engines and around $ 300. Several sources available on the internet.