PDA

View Full Version : Maritimes Provinces Travel?

dreamchasers
06-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Lee and I are planning an extensive trip for our summer travels. After traveling trough various cities along the way (Nashville, Washington DC, Bar Harbor, etc). We are scheduled to leave Maine the middle of August for a month long trip through the Canadian Maritime Provinces. We live in Texas, so just getting to Maine is a long trip just to get to the starting point. On this trip, I decided to use a Rv travel tour group, Tracks to Adventure. I have never used this service before, so after the trip, I will have real world experiences to report. Most of the people I have asked about Tracks have negative comments, but when asked if they had ever travels on a structured caravan, the statement was always no. So we will see. Their are 22 travelers scheduled for this trip, the Viking Canadian Marintime Tour.

My question for the group is does any POGGERS have experience traveling in the Marintimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador)? Any information or web site information would be appreciated.

We have already traveled to Alaska several years ago and throughly enjoyed the entire experience. The trip Tuga and Ken are on is definitely a lifetime, journey experience. The destination is great, but the journey is the most memorable for us.

Any help on Maritimes travel information is appreciated.

Hector

Jim Skiff
06-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Hector,

You make darn sure you drop in and call when in Maine!

Jim

Kenneth Brewer
06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
In '95 we traveled through NB, NS, and PEI by ferry then. Now there is an eleven mile bridge to PEI, I understand. We had no problems that bear on this discussion, except that the campgrounds in Canada tend to be smaller and much tighter. We were in a 35' coach then, and had to use 30 amp service often. This was a long time ago, of course, and since you are traveling in a group I wouldn't think there is anything to worry about if they have done this particular tour before. Newfoundland had only one road fit for your coach to travel on that circles the island, but we did not visit there, so I have no real information on it. Be prepared for mosquitoes and other flying pests in any case. But the roads we traveled were good and the landscapes outstanding. You will need your passport these days crossing the border.

Have a great adventure.

GDeen
06-27-2010, 04:50 PM
During my last overnight at Prevost FW Resort, I met a nice fellow from College Station who is driving a late model double slide Marathon XLII. He and his wife have done group travels extensively throughout Canada, the area you speak of Hector, Alaska, lower 48, and Mexico (Copper Canyon on a flat rail car). Anyway, he said they love doing the trips with the organized tour groups. Wagonmaster and sweeper to check up on everyone during the travel day, all arrangements taken care of, roadside assistance if needed immediately available, on and on. Most interesting part to me was that they discourage caravaning and encourage everyone to do their own thing from point to point. He said aside from following the Aggie football team around, they do all their travel now by these tour groups. Forgot how my 100's of thousands of miles he has wheeling a Prevost around, but he sure was sold on the concept.

Woody
06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
The Atlantic coast of NS has some incredible ocean front Provincial Parks where you can have your bow literally on the water, if you choose. We have done many with 40' but you might be cautious with 45. NS and PEI are great.