PDA

View Full Version : Fellow owners in KC? Mechanic suggestions?

JohnG
06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just bought a '94 Marathon XL. Drove it home to Kansas City from Dallas yesterday. Narrow lanes in construction zones with barriers on each side scary, and so was meeting trucks on a narrow bridge on a detour! Do you get used to the width after a while? Any driving tips?

I'd like to find a good Prevost mechanic in Kansas City, so if there are any Prevost owners in KC, I'd appreciate any advice on mechanics and shops, as well as meet fellow owners.

Thanks,

John Grissinger

Will Garner
06-19-2010, 07:35 PM
John,

First, here is a BIG WELCOME to POG for you. I can't speak to service in the KC area as I hail from NC.

As for the "narrow" roads in construction areas. First word of advice is slow down. Second, as a rookie I was making the mistake of being too far right in the lane. I was continually being told, "Get Left." Not being a liberal that was somewhat irritating. Third, try not to look down at the road immediately in front of the coach. Try to look further down the road, say 1/4 of a mile, it will result in better lane positioning. Biggest probability of incident is "swapping" mirrors with big rigs. If a big rig is approaching you need to ease to the right to give way and save your mirror. Drive very defensively and make certain to keep an abundance of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Your coach will need many more times the distance to come to a full stop than what you are accustomed to driving.

Now having said that, I have lost stainless to a bollard on the curb side at the entrance to the driveway at the building where I store my coach and a toll booth barrier on the West Virginia Turnpike. I should have used the far right toll booth since that barrier was only on the driver's side. The curbside was totally open. I also lost some stainless on the same trip on an entrance driveway to the Shriner's RV "storage" lot in Oakmont Pennsylvania. They don't permit RV "Campgrounds in Allegheny County - not RV friendly.

Since those incidents in 2007, I have gained a much better perspective on where I can put the coach and where it is best not to venture. It takes practice and unfortunately some stainless will likely become victim to the learning process. So get out there and start practicing.

JohnG
06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Will,

Thanks for the excellent advice! You hit the nail on the head, driving too far right looks normal to me, but I know it's not as I can see in the mirrors and back up camera I'm too far right. Great advice on the toll booths too, I'll look for one with an open side.

I'm keeping it stored in a cave, and they have no RV service, and zoning won't allow me to drive it to my neighborhood to fill up with water. So being a complete newbie, do I need to find an RV campground to fill up with water and dump tanks? Is there a guide you'd recommend?

Thanks, and if you're ever in KC, look me up!

John

michaeldterry
06-19-2010, 08:29 PM
John - welcome to POG! As you new Prevost owner, you've displayed good judgment by joining this group! The information available to you here will prove to be invaluable over time and the friendships you gain will be priceless! Will's driving advice is right on the money. Also, remember that when driving your Prevost, you're basicilly sitting on top of your steer axle (versus your front wheels being out in front of you, like on the traditional cars/trucks you usually drive). Take care to be very aware of this as your approach turns and curves and plan your approach accordingly. As Will alluded - it takes practice to "perfect" your driving skills for these unique vehicles - so get out there and drive safely!

JohnG
06-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks Michael! I appreciate the advice, and I feel like I've joined a great fraternity! John

michaeldterry
06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks Michael! I appreciate the advice, and I feel like I've joined a great fraternity! John

A "great fraternity" is one label for it, I guess! A barely controlled lunatic asylum is another! :D Seriously, you'll find no better, kinder, friendlier, more knowlegable, more caring, or more generous people than POGgers! Jump in where ever/whenever you like and join in the fun/chaos!

When you get a chance, put your coach particulars (model, year, converter, tow vehicle, mileage, etc) into a signature for your posts so that answers to any questions you might ask or issues you raise can be answered for your specific application. If you do that, sometimes the responses will even be truthful and correct! :p If you need "inspiration" to come up with your own signature, just look around at the sigs of other POGgers and steal what you like! LOL!

garyde
06-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Welcome to POG John. Recently, at a FMCA convention in New Mexico, I was given two small round stick on tabs for my dash. The purpose is to give the driver a reference to stay aligned in your lane.

JohnG
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Great idea, thanks!

JohnG
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Good idea, I'll take a picture of the contraption and post it this week!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the asylum John. On certain rare occasions we may even provide correct answers to your questions. Apparently everyone is pretty mellow today because it looks like you have gotten good advice.

I cannot help you on the mechanic issue, but I can caution you. First, you are dealing with areas requiring specific expertise. Plan on Detroit for the engine, Allison for the transmission, and if not a Prevost shop for the chassis, at least make certain you take it to folks who are used to working on buses,

Then you have the house. That's everything else in the inside and in the bays. You now drive a big fancy bus and you might as well walk in a service facility wearing a sign that says I drive a Prevost, therefore take advantage of me. The truth is you can find a lot of guidance on POG, either by accessing the countless articles, or asking questions and that information will leave you in a very good position when managing your service requirements.

As to driving the coach, I want to echo the advice that suggests you avoid looking close to the coach or at the sides. Over time by looking a distance ahead you will intuitively know where sides of the coach are and you can literally place the coach anywhere on a lane within inches if you choose. But until you possess that sense of where the coach is in a lane, or between concrete barriers, slow down until you are comfortable. Don't let anyone intimidate you into going faster than you feel is safe.

JohnG
06-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks Jon, I sent you a private message, regarding a mechanic reference.

Prevost.Rick
06-21-2010, 07:40 AM
hello john this is rick may i was the east coast service mang for marathon at the time your bus was made i now have my own shop in fl,even if you never make it to fl ,i,ll help you with any tech advice,if we can find a mechanical guy you trust there in kc ,and the help you,ll get on pog ,we,ll get you up and running,813-833-2284

Jon Wehrenberg
06-21-2010, 07:48 AM
John,

Rick is certainly one of the good guys, possesses a wealth of experience, and has been to many POG rallies and helped many members. If I were in your shoes I would make an effort to visit with him and the other folks at Coach Worx.

I did not get the PM.

JohnG
06-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks Rick!

JohnG
06-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks John

BoaterAl
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi John, I live in South KC and also own a Marathon. I see you are storing in the caves, not good, but will work for a while. Give me a cell number on the private message section. I can probably help you with better storage, indoor, 60 ft private stalls, electric, water, dump. Only available to diesel pushers.
AL
05 Marathon XL II 2/S

JohnG
06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks Al, sent you a pvt message. John

JohnG
06-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Al, I checked my sent messages, so maybe it didn't go. My cell's 816 506 6883. Thanks, John

Steve Mitchell
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
John,
One of my customers (Ray Worth) Worth Harley Davidson in KC has owned several Prevost Conversions over the years. He's a nice guy and I'm sure you can call one of his Harley stores there in town and reach him. He can advise you as to who he uses for his Prevost technician.

Another contact a little further south (Tulsa/Joplin area) would be Chuck Bently. Chuck was service manager and R & D for Vogue and later Vogue by Featherlite in Pryor, OK. He's moved on now, but can be reached at 417-437-8060.

Good Luck,
Steve
Parliament

JohnG
06-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks Steve, I have some mutual friends with Ray from the flying community, I'll give him a call. John

jj628
06-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Just picked up my "new camper" yesterday. 1993 H340 VIP, Liberty Elegant Lady, 500 hp 8v92. 108,000 miles. It is so cool-- plastic bug screen, racks for bikes, and something that says" Sheep Pen Here" :-). We've had an American Eagle for the past 8 years so the driving isn't much different but the systems will take some time. Look forward to moving from an unconscious incompetent ( don't know what I don't know) to a concsious incompetent ( know exactly what I don't know). I live in southern Missouri and plan to get with Chuck Bently asap. I've known him over the years after he left Vogue and he is a first class guy.
POG has been a tremendous help to me beginng this learning process.

JohnG
06-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Bike racks! Any idea where you get those??

jj628
06-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Don't have a clue as to where to get a bike rack.

BoaterAl
06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
John, my fault here as we left town for a couple of days. My wife still works (2 more years) and we were entertaining customers out of town. Those customers just keep getting in the way of driving the bus . Flying from MT. were suppose to be back early on Sat morning and then there is a maintenance problem, then a fuel transfer issue to balance the plane, then lighting, which as you know the plane must be inspected. See here again the bus has only 1 of the three problems. Missing the connection in MSP we were home at 12:30 AM. Long day.
I'll give you a call right after dinner.
AL
05 Marathon XLII w/ clear shield

JohnG
07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Al,

Please put me on your waiting list, cave not good.

Thanks,

John