PDA

View Full Version : Air Dryers

gmcbuffalo
06-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I have an AD-2 dryer on my 1991 XL, when I went to get a new cartridge for it the clerks rolled there eyes, "OLD". Only one in stock, and it had a core charge. Has anyone changed over to the spin on type, if so which one?
GregM

Jerry Winchester
06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Greg,

I have the new(er) WABCO one but I didn't change it from an old one. It can't be too hard to swap it out. Other than the fact that mine is located in no man's land.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I think Greg's is located on the passenger side frame between the tag and drive axles. I think the one Jerry refers to is up high ahead of the drive axle and is very difficult to get good leverage on to change the cartridge because of its position.

I suspect Greg could just get a whole new assembly and position it where his current one is and be in a much better position for cartridge replacement. He may have to make a bracket or two to secure it to the frame but that should not be difficult. I also have the WABCO with spin on cartridge and prefer it to the type Greg has due to ease of maintenance.

truk4u
06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Greg,

I just did my AD-2 in March and there was no core charge at Prevost. So switching to a spin on may make sense and the cartridge is much cheaper to change out.

gmcbuffalo
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Did the job to today and I think it may have been the original one, due to the amount of grease, not fun. Having to remove the control air line, Outlet line after loosening to allow air pressure to leak to out, then crack the check valve to insure air pressure is zero. I must say I was ready at any time for it fly off. Changing the cartridge was the easiest part of it.

Did find a few zerqs that looked like they have been missed in the past. I saw a lot of grease around the area, and when I was lubing the zerqs on the driveline I found one that bearing wouldn't close, so it has just been throwing grease around.

Once again do it yourself and know it is done.
GregM