PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Lexus GX 470 as Toad?

hobobimmer
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Howdy POG. We have a friend who is setting up a tow car. They have a 2005 Lexus GX470. The dealer says it can't be towed without building up heat in the transmission and the manual does not address the issue at all. Does anyone know if it can be towed 4 wheels down, or if it needs a drive shaft disconnect? If it can be towed, does anyone know the procedure you use to configure the car for towing? Thanks for your ideas. They are new POG members, but have not gotten comfortable posting yet. Someday we will quit being codependent and let them post their own questions. :o

Deb and Eric

edsaylor
06-17-2010, 10:02 AM
No Lexus can be towed 4 wheels down from the factory. You can check with Remco.com to see if they have a modifaction available for this vehicle.

rahangman
06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
All Lexus Dealers & Techs will tell you that a Lexus SUV cannot be towed 4 down. Give a note to Coloradobus. He has towed his LX470 for many many miles. I had considered towing ours as it is the same year/model as Jim's, but elected to go with a 99 Jeep GC. Jim will say, put the Drive Selector in N and the Gear shift in Park. Try it on a hill, but make sure you are holding onto the brake (pedal or hand) as it will roll free. As to a "heat" factor, I cannot say, as I have not towed mine. This said, I had 2 different Service Mgr's at Lexus tell us that the primary reasons Lexus says no, is (1) Lexus does not want an image of their vehicles being towed (even behind a beautiful Prevost?) and (2) it would lead liability issues if they authorized it and someone would not do it correctly and cause damage. It seems odd to have a transmission in Park to tow, but with the Drive Selector in Neutral it will work. Basically it is the same configuration as our Jeep GC.

GDeen
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM
After discussing with Coloradobus as Rodger suggests above, we set up our 05 (maybe 06) GX470 for towing. Blue Ox makes the base plate. We have towed it now ~ 15k miles with no problems thus far. Procedure I use:

1.) With engine running, shift transmission into neutral
2.) shift transfer case into neutral
3.) turn off key (will go to accessory)
4.) shift transmission to park
5.) turn key off remainder of way (or it will drain the battery)

One key point is to insure that your steering is not locked. Some year models the steering will lock when you turn the key fully off. Ours does not. If yours does, you might try the valet key as it is my understanding that it will work without locking the front wheels.