PDA

View Full Version : Detroit vs Volvo can you still order a detroit engine in a new coach

Gary Carmichael
06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Was just wondering whether Detroit engines will be phased out or are they going to be made available They are great engines and run forever with proper service, any one know the answer to this question? Gary Carmichael

GDeen
06-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Knowing what I have seen done to the 8V's and now s60's in oilfield service, I agree. They are extremely durable engines. Nothing will convince you more than watching a roughneck drive up on a daylight rig in 20 deg weather first thing in the morning, squirt a little ether in the airbox, fire it off and run full throttle to get her warmed up. Day after day....

jack14r
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
I understand that there will not be any more Detroit Diesels in Prevost.The H3 has already been converted and they are being shipped with Volvo engines.The XLII changes in several ways,it will be like an entertainer coach with the stainless only up to the top of the bays,also the wheelbase will be the same as the entertainer coaches,also there will be one additional bay in the XLII.Go to the Prevost car website for more info.This is what I have heard,you know how factual this info might be.

Kenneth Brewer
06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
The Prevostcar.com website was still listing the (2007) Detroit diesel a minute ago. If they are shipping Volvo engines now there doesn't seem to be any mention of it where the specs and brochures are downloadable yet that I saw. I do know that Volvo continues to have rather frequent problems on the higher horsepower diesels that include troublesome or failure-prone injectors (being handled as a warranty item 100%, I am told) and turbo problems (don't know what exactly). Maybe I am going to the wrong Prevost website, but that would their problem as well, I would think.

jack14r
06-13-2010, 09:16 PM
On the left side of the Prevost Car website under news it states that all coaches will be manufactured with the Volvo D 13 engine

Kenneth Brewer
06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Well...................if they are going to hide it like that, it's not my fault.

Kenneth Brewer
06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice article a year old: www.busmag.com/PDF/VolvoD13.pdf

jack14r
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
It looks like that change at Prevost might be like change in Washington.

dmatz
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
According to the sponge summer marathon news letter XLII will change to the entainer coach model after the 2011 production. A local charter company with 52 prevost the 4 new H models with volvo have been recalled to replace injectors. They are not happy about it. I also learned a charter company in Canada just canceled a 150 coach order going to use MCI. It won't take to long for that to put. Series 60's back in or at least an option.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2010, 06:20 AM
The S-60 decision was not made by Prevost, but by Daimler-Benz who will not sell their engines to any one except their own companies, such as Freightliner.

Cat has also stopped producing engines for on-road applications making Cummins the only real alternative to the S-60.

Anybody ever use the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

jack14r
06-14-2010, 08:33 AM
In these economic times I find it unusual that Daimler-Benz can sell all of their production internally,I know first hand that the newer series 60 engines are not perfect,I have made several trips to my local DD service center for them to find that the V-pod was defective.With Volvo's resources I am sure that the D13 will be a great engine and it could get better fuel mileage than the S60.

Gary Carmichael
06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Hmm, maybe the coaches with series 60 will be at a premium if no more are available? Gary

travelite
06-14-2010, 11:11 AM
If Daimler-Benz decided to sell to Prevost, it would be the DD13, DD15, or DD16. As far as I can tell, these are the engines that will meet the EPA 2010 emission guidelines. DD will be using it's Blue-Tec technology which includes a DPF (diesel particulate filter), urea injection, and a catalytic converter (SCR - Selective Catalyst Reduction). The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) which was used on the Series 60 will be abandoned. It's the EPA guidelines that are ending the rein of the Series 60 in the trucking industry. An interesting tidbit of engineering on the DD15: it has a second turbocharger that spins a shaft which returns horsepower directly to the crankshaft via a viscous coupling. This second turbo doesn't increase boost to the intake manifold, it simply scavenges exhaust energy and returns hp. It develops something like 40hp.

jack14r
06-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I bet that Prevost would like to use the DD15 or 16 but i think that they are too tall to fit.This has been the problem with a replacement for the S60.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
At this point I am not sure the S-60 would be as good as or better than the Volvo. There are a number of extremely unhappy Freightliner owners and drivers that have experienced very low mileage along with substantial down time due to problems with their engines.

The mileages reported are in the 3.5 to 4.0 range which probably means 5.0 or less in the bus applications. Additionally they have had loss of power so at this stage in the development of the engines which meet the current standards it might appear all manufacturers of engines are experiencing issues.

There are a number of forums for truckers and some are manufacturer specific, with the same type complaints across the board.

travelite
06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Jon,

I agree. The emission controls on the S-60 are robbing hp, elevating operating temps, and robbing mileage. DD really needed to start with a clean sheet, which is what they did with the DD13, 15, 16 series. The best of the S-60's were the pre-egr engines, which ended in '02.

Richard J Warren
06-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Williams Detroit , Grand Rapids Mi. mentioned that was not the problem selling to competitors.