PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite

hillndale
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know if you can you drive the bus all the way into the park? And is there a place to park it for the day when hiking?

PS: we would be heading in from the east coming from Las Vegas.

LA-HODAG
06-14-2010, 03:09 PM
It is not possible to take your bus into the park from the North off highway 120, which seems the most logical route from Vegas. Big Oak Road from highway 120 to the park entrance is too steep and narrow and the turns are too sharp. Even highway 120 is challenging. We stayed in a private campground off 120 east of Groveland. When I did that drive from the west in my 40 footer I was over the centerline with the middle of the bus on lots of turns. Requires a good co-piolt to check the road ahead of your position.

I have not done it, but it looks like you can enter the park from the southwest on highway 140 with a 45' bus. check here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/busmap-d10.pdf
Not sure whether you will find parking in the park, however. I did see shorter motorhomes in the park, but only class c's.

p.s. When I was in the Eastern Sierras over Memorial Day, the Tioga pass on highway 120 was still closed due to snow.

Good luck. Please report back with your experience if you do take the bus into the park

Bryan

hillndale
06-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks alot for the info. After looking into it, we're actually thinking of hitting Yosemite on another trip in a year or two and instead spending more time out by Big Sur b/c we don't have a tow car (and also concerned about the traffic in Yosemite).