PDA

View Full Version : Satellite TV Question

Willis Michell
06-09-2010, 06:14 PM
We are new to this TV system and have an in motion satellite. The previous owner leased the Receivers so we are unable to use them. We have gotten the run around BIG time from Direct TV about what to do,what to buy,where to buy,etc. Every time we call we get a different answer and feel like flipping a coin! Today's person wants to send us 2 receivers for FREE and have 150 Channels for $34.95 per month providing we have good credit. Anyone have advice for us? This is really frustrating and it seems like it should be pretty simple.

ajducote
06-09-2010, 06:34 PM
A while back Direct TV stopped selling their receivers and started "leasing" them. They say it had something to do with combating pirates. The deal you mentioned sounds reasonable. You can always add channels or get a different package if you don't like what they give you for $34.95, which I would guess is only a teaser price good for a limited time.
If you have Direct TV at home, just add 2 receivers for "home" and put them in the bus.
Some POG members have DISH and seem to be very happy with that. Maybe they will chime in with info on DISH.

Willis Michell
06-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your response..found out we can buy the receivers at Camping World for about $100.00 each. See you are at TGO..we love that place and hope to be there soon for a long weekend.

jack14r
06-09-2010, 08:14 PM
If you have a home receiver and get 150 miles from home you cannot get the local channels.When you sign up for your direct tv make sure that you get the national networks,I want the evening news.I had to provide a registration card to prove that I owned a motorhome,I now have 4 receivers(2 in the coach,1 in the shop,1 at the lake house)that they think are in the coach with the same billing.I guess that when they do not let me own the receivers I will have 3 billings.

Mark3101
06-09-2010, 08:55 PM
We are new to this TV system and have an in motion satellite. The previous owner leased the Receivers so we are unable to use them. We have gotten the run around BIG time from Direct TV about what to do,what to buy,where to buy,etc. Every time we call we get a different answer and feel like flipping a coin! Today's person wants to send us 2 receivers for FREE and have 150 Channels for $34.95 per month providing we have good credit. Anyone have advice for us? This is really frustrating and it seems like it should be pretty simple.

Depending on which in motion system you have, it can get complicated. I have a Tracstar SV360 and have two DirecTV receivers. Since one of the latest firmware updates in the receivers, you can only get programming on the 101 satellite and can NOT get any HD programming period. DirecTV uses Ku and Ka bands and I don't know of any in motion solution to the HD issues. I bought professional model receivers and do own them, but any of the discounted pricing will only get you a leased receiver. I went the pro route for the better cooling in my equipment rack.

If you have the Tracstar dish, you can get Dish network receivers and you can get HD with them. All depends on what you have and what you want.

Donnie_M
06-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Are you sure about Camping World? I just went through this "roller coaster" ride this morning! I have been installing HD DVR's for the last 3 years and have been buying from Best Buy and Costco. 2 weeks ago I sent my parts runner (aka my wife...lol) to get 2 HD DVR's from Costco and we were told they had to send all their receivers back for up grades! Well yesterday I have a customer that needs a receiver. So I told Mr Barnicle to just go to Best Buy and get 2 last night and I would put them in this morning. NOT!! After 3 hours on the phone with EVERY voice prompt I finally found out that Direct TV only sells/leases exclusively! And they will only send out a new receiver to the address on the bill :( After talking to many supervisors, I talked them into coming to my place and "installing" the new receivers as a "new install"! The kicker is, they still won't come till Friday!!! DIRECT TV STINKS!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me, I have a lot more choice and colorful words for these idiots. They told me they stopped "selling the leases" at retail stores due to the fact that the retail stores were not explaining to the consumer that the receiver was "leased" and didn't belong to them!

Donnie_M
06-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Depending on which in motion system you have, it can get complicated. I have a Tracstar SV360 and have two DirecTV receivers. Since one of the latest firmware updates in the receivers, you can only get programming on the 101 satellite and can NOT get any HD programming period. DirecTV uses Ku and Ka bands and I don't know of any in motion solution to the HD issues. I bought professional model receivers and do own them, but any of the discounted pricing will only get you a leased receiver. I went the pro route for the better cooling in my equipment rack.

If you have the Tracstar dish, you can get Dish network receivers and you can get HD with them. All depends on what you have and what you want.
Mark, you can use a Trac Star for in motion Standard Definition Direct TV (which their new soft ware was e-mailed to me today for the "run lock verify" message you will soon be getting :( ) and a Winegard 5 lnb stationary dish for HD when parked. You should install (if using HD DVR's) 4 AB or ABC switches (depending if you park the coach in a building) to switch between in motion, stationary or external dish and 2 multi-switches. The two 2x4 multi-switches will allow the Trac Star and the external "dual lnb" satellite on your building to "light" up both tuners on 2 HD DVR's and also keep them "on signal" when Direct Tv sends out the up dates so yo will always have signal when you decide to go on a trip and you won't have to call them for a "hit".

Donnie_M
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Also in the latest firmware up grade, the IR (infra red) pulse time for holding down on a button (on the Direct TV remote control) for 2 seconds which made that button "repeat" the command was changed to .5 seconds :( What this does is completely screw up some of the commands from an automated system such as an AMX or Crestron remote system. So, in other words, if some of you with AMX or Crestron control systems start experiencing a "double firing" effect, you will need someone to change the programming to "fire" the IR command for .4 seconds to remedy the problem. Once again Direct TV totally messes up our day :( Did I say I HATE Direct TV???

Willis Michell
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Feeling the pain of Direct TV and think I will watch old Seinfelds instead of this hastle. We called Best Buy and they have NO idea when they will get in new receivers for Direct TV or a price. We also did call 2 different Camping World stores and they say they sell Direct TV receivers,the plain and the HD. This is unreal and I too have a great dislike for Direct TV. It has gotten actually funny when we call because they all give a different story and work for the same company! It gets funnier around Happy Hour! Dish Network was unable to offer any help and Direct is so screwy it is unreal! We have the AMX system so I think we may take up READING instead of TV. Thanks!

Donnie_M
06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Feeling the pain of Direct TV and think I will watch old Seinfelds instead of this hastle. We called Best Buy and they have NO idea when they will get in new receivers for Direct TV or a price. We also did call 2 different Camping World stores and they say they sell Direct TV receivers,the plain and the HD. This is unreal and I too have a great dislike for Direct TV. It has gotten actually funny when we call because they all give a different story and work for the same company! It gets funnier around Happy Hour! Dish Network was unable to offer any help and Direct is so screwy it is unreal! We have the AMX system so I think we may take up READING instead of TV. Thanks!

Are you in the position to just have Direct TV just send them to you? Programming the AMX is not a problem ( if you are in the right part of the country :) ) If you get the HD receivers, you can use an "RF" remote until you get to a qualified programmer. If you go with standard def, you will just have to get up and go to the back to change stations:(

GSwaim
06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Do I dare pipe in here as a DirecTV and Dish Network Dealer? :p Doing a proper RV installation of service, equipment and customer operation and maintenance training is tricky at best. It's time consuming and there are many pitfalls least of which is to think you can call Dish or DirecTV customer support and get any factual RV information. The corporate customer service representatives aren't trained on RV equipment or the policies so you are banking on the luck of the draw when you call them. That's why you get a different answer anytime you call them. Here are some facts and suggestions:

1. If the person that you hire to install, configure and repair your brand of Mobile satellite isn't an authorized dealer for both the type of service (Dish or Direct) and the brand of satellite system you are installing, don't hire them! There are many so-called dealers out there that aren't knowledgeable on the equipment or the service so be careful.

2. All of DirecTV equipment is leased if gotten from any retail outlet and almost all is the same coming from an authorized dealer. You want it this way too. If you were to find a way to pruchase the equipment it would be very expensive and have a 90 day warranty. If it failed after that you would have to purchase it all over again. This would make you want to drop the service and that would also cost you several hundreds of dollars in early termination making you crazy. This is why they lease the equipment to you. If it fails they simply replace it.

3. Both Dish and DirecTV have their advantages and disadvantages. Most RVers (90%)have DirecTV. Neither company can offer you local (ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX) for every place you may stop for the night. Those broadcasts are owned locally and are subject to copywrite laws so you get them only where your account service is. Service address changes can be performed periodically but not once a month. :) Both companies can provide one set of local channels fixed in a particular local market in the Pacific and Eastern time zone on transponders that are broacasted nationwide. These are called Distant Network Services and require special paperwork called a Mobile Vehicle Declaration. Since Dish Network a few years back didn't follow the government’s administrative rules they must use All American Satellite to provide this service instead of Dish Network.

4. HD programming really requires an open faced multi-satellite mobile satellite system to be dependable and easy to use. DishNet HD can be gotten under a dome but the list of restrictions makes me wonder if its worth the effort and I'm a dealer for every brand of mobile satellite company in existence. Only two companies build an HD open face system: MotoSat & Winegard. Like the service providers each of these systems have their advantages and disadvantages so do your research before deciding which is right for you.

5. Digital Video Recorders (DVR) can be used in RVs even wothout a phone line. This makes for a very nice setup since we are free to go do what we want when we want and watch our favorite shows when we come back.

This list could go on forever. My goal wasn't to make everyone here knowledgable enough to become an installer. I only am trying to help you avoid some of the major pitfalls. I will be at the POG rally in Kerrville this fall and would delighted to give a seminar to all the fellow Prevost folks on the particualrs of satellite TV.

Kenneth Brewer
06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I would be interested, for one. Thanks.

Mark3101
06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Mark, you can use a Trac Star for in motion Standard Definition Direct TV (which their new soft ware was e-mailed to me today for the "run lock verify" message you will soon be getting :( ) and a Winegard 5 lnb stationary dish for HD when parked. You should install (if using HD DVR's) 4 AB or ABC switches (depending if you park the coach in a building) to switch between in motion, stationary or external dish and 2 multi-switches. The two 2x4 multi-switches will allow the Trac Star and the external "dual lnb" satellite on your building to "light" up both tuners on 2 HD DVR's and also keep them "on signal" when Direct Tv sends out the up dates so yo will always have signal when you decide to go on a trip and you won't have to call them for a "hit".

I guess I don't want to mess with setting up another dish for HD. We are getting by very well with just the SD stuff and only using the 101 satellite. After I found out about the receiver firmware issues from tracstar, it was easy to get them both setup right. I don't have to call often for a hit, and you can do it online so it isn't too bad even if you have to do it.

Mark3101
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Also in the latest firmware up grade, the IR (infra red) pulse time for holding down on a button (on the Direct TV remote control) for 2 seconds which made that button "repeat" the command was changed to .5 seconds :( What this does is completely screw up some of the commands from an automated system such as an AMX or Crestron remote system. So, in other words, if some of you with AMX or Crestron control systems start experiencing a "double firing" effect, you will need someone to change the programming to "fire" the IR command for .4 seconds to remedy the problem. Once again Direct TV totally messes up our day :( Did I say I HATE Direct TV???

I will have to test that this weekend as we are going for a short trip down to Minneapolis for a couple of days. I have not had an issue ..yet..but with all the firmware updates, who know when it will hit me. At least I have a fairly close by Crestron dealer who is very good if I do need some changes. I have a love/hate relationship with DirecTV and have had for years. They do seem to try to make it difficult!

Willis Michell
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
GSwaim: Thank you for your input. I get my coach worked on @ CoachWorx in Clew Fl. Bennie can set up my receiver and do needed programming. Who do I call to lease a receiver. When I purchased my coach used, it came set up with in motion satellite which the previous owner put in. His receivers were leased and now I need receivers to lease. When I call Direct TV (about 10 times now) I have gotten 10 different answers as to what to do. Any ideas? I just want basic TV nothing special.

jelmore
06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Neither company can offer you local (ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX) for every place you may stop for the night. Those broadcasts are owned locally and are subject to copywrite laws so you get them only where your account service is. Service address changes can be performed periodically but not once a month.

Gary, not quite right on those locals. We switched to Dish Network for two reasons: HD on our KVH antenna ... and local channels. With Dish, you can call in a new service address and they will authorize your card to receive those channels. You can do this any time, even daily. The price for the locals are included in the basic programming package. Takes about 15 minutes and they show up in your on-screen guide. In most markets, all network broadcasts are HD.

GSwaim
06-12-2010, 08:03 AM
HD under dome with Dish Network is possible but there are many issues with this setup causing you to do timely mantenance and configuration. This is due to Dish Network having two different sets of satellites depending on your location (East or West). An owner must load keys for east or west coast satellites and program thier satellite system to point to the right satellites. Then there has to be multiple Check Switch test performed on the receiver to get the auto toggle feature to work for the master receiver. Oh BTW, this configuration is also limited to one receier tuner since there is the problem with two receivers or the dual receiver PVR causing conflicts with the system when one tuner wants a different satellite than the other. Overall I find most people end up giving up with all of this because of the lack of dependability and heavy maintenenace.

I'm a satelltie dealer for all brands of mobile satellites and both Dish & DirecTV. I get both services for free and have all the equipment to recofigure the system when needed and I won't even put up with the hassle of using Dish Network HD under a dome. Just my two cents.

Dish Network's policy on locals doesn't include changing your service address each night you stop. That doesn't mean you can't do it but don't be surprised if you call and they say we can't change your address again when they see you have changed it everytime you move to a new location. Personally, I would hate to purchase a mobile satellite system with full intent of getting locals everywhere I go as well as satellite programming, then find I have to do manintenence on my system to make it work before watching TV tonight and then get "I can't change your local service address" when I call Dish Network.

Jim, has your KVH been dependable with this setup?

jelmore
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Jim, has your KVH been dependable with this setup?

Dependable? Dependably difficult. But I wanted my HD!!! I learned way more than I ever wanted to learn about Dish Network and KVH. I agree most owners (all but me?) would never put up with it and would take easy standard definition over difficult HD. I found patience worked well. Since Dish changed their HD technology on their 129 satellite a year ago, in-motion tracking from that satellite stopped working. And, when stationery, the KVH would drift when tuned to weaker transponders on 129 that carry HD locals on a spot beam. For HD content, we would get 129 tuned in and then turn off the antenna. Then, either receiver could watch any HD channel including locals. When in-motion, there was never any problem watching standard definition programming on 110 or 119. It tracked flawlessly. KVH introduced a software patch that addresses many (some?) of those 129 issues. They have also introduced a switch that allows your choice of receivers to be the primary receiver. We never did either of those and got by.

I was (embarassingly) showing the new owner how to work the Dish setup and his eyes glazed over. I pretty sure he will switch to Direct TV because it's easy. He was told that his DirectTV HD receivers were compatible with the KVH R5, but according to KVH he won't be able to get HD signals.

I guess I preferred difficult HD over easy SD. But for the casual user taking occasional trips, I'm sure easy is the best path.

And, we never had any issues changing locals, even on a daily basis. That said, usually the only time we did that was when we were outside the broadcast range of the local channels. When were within range, we used the roof antenna to watch locals. Amazing that HD looks so good over the air.

ajducote
06-12-2010, 09:56 AM
This is the solution I decided to use. It is not a perfect solution, but works for me. See this thread:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?4148-TracStar-SV-360/page3

I use the MotoSat SL5 98% of the time for HD, but I can switch to the in motion KVH for SD with an A/B switch if I decide I need to use it.

I would be a lot easier and a lot nicer if 1 dish did everything, but that just does not seem possible.

michaeldterry
06-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I guess I don't want to mess with setting up another dish for HD. We are getting by very well with just the SD stuff and only using the 101 satellite. After I found out about the receiver firmware issues from tracstar, it was easy to get them both setup right. I don't have to call often for a hit, and you can do it online so it isn't too bad even if you have to do it.

I agree with Mark! My wife loves her HD at home, but we get by just fine with SD in the bus. I may be one of the last dinosaurs, but I'm just not a discerning enough TV viewer to really appreciate the HD difference to the extent that most seem to! I don't know how we did it, but we got DirecTV to set our service so that we get our local (home) channels no matter where we go in the bus. The only thing I would like to change (but I'm too cheap) is to be able to use an RF remote to change channels from anywhere in the bus. To use an RF remote, I'd have to upgrade to an HD receiver or DVR - which is an additional monthly charge (I think about ten bucks). Because I have the standard receiver instead of the HD receiver, the RF remote is not compatible. So when we're rolling down the road and Vita is watching her judge shows on the front TV, she has to go to the rear salon to change channels. Man, life can be hard for us frugal guys (cheapskates)! :p

truk4u
06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Michael,

How can you get the locals when the spot beam is only good within approximately 100 miles of Atlanta? I used to be able to do that years ago, but have been told by Direct it's not possible anymore.

michaeldterry
06-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Michael,

How can you get the locals when the spot beam is only good within approximately 100 miles of Atlanta? I used to be able to do that years ago, but have been told by Direct it's not possible anymore.

Tom - I don't know how! All I can tell you is that I was watching the WXIA-TV newscast from Bella Terra in Gulf Shores. AL last September and also remember watching the Atlanata channels from Cherokee, NC a couple of months ago!

Donnie_M
06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree with Mark! My wife loves her HD at home, but we get by just fine with SD in the bus. I may be one of the last dinosaurs, but I'm just not a discerning enough TV viewer to really appreciate the HD difference to the extent that most seem to! I don't know how we did it, but we got DirecTV to set our service so that we get our local (home) channels no matter where we go in the bus. The only thing I would like to change (but I'm too cheap) is to be able to use an RF remote to change channels from anywhere in the bus. To use an RF remote, I'd have to upgrade to an HD receiver or DVR - which is an additional monthly charge (I think about ten bucks). Because I have the standard receiver instead of the HD receiver, the RF remote is not compatible. So when we're rolling down the road and Vita is watching her judge shows on the front TV, she has to go to the rear salon to change channels. Man, life can be hard for us frugal guys (cheapskates)! :pInstall a IR repeating system such as http://www.iautomate.com/products/IR%252d350-Home-Theater-Infrared-Repeater-Kit.html there are several different brands that achieve the same result. I have not had good luck with the rf to ir systems, plus if you are at a rally, someone else can change your stations. The IR repeating system will also allow you to install only one Blu Ray (or other DVD players) and control it from the other areas including the bay. This is the one we use http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20262 on non AMX coaches. Don't be intimidated about running wires front to rear, you can use Prevost spares and also be very creative on wire runs...lol

It's very important to purchase the right IR repeating system depending on whether or not you have LCD, Plasma and fluorescent lighting. All these component put out light frequencies which interfere with IR repeating devises.

Willis Michell
06-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Michael,Boy did you luck out with the Direct TV guy. I wonder if he can come to Florida? Still have not had any resolution with this and still getting the royal run around from Direct TV. Willis

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I purchased an IR to UHF kit from Dish Network, haven't installed it yet.

After reading all this I sure hope it works!!!

JIM

Bill1170
06-13-2010, 06:07 PM
We have direct TV with the sound coming from the bose system, this causes us to use the bose remote for sound control and tv remote for tv control. Any solutions?
Bill

Larry W
06-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Michael
Our Royale has Sat. reciever, dvd in the rear of the coach. It had Channel Plus RF and modulator when we bought it. I have just updated the Channel Plus stuff. Am using CP DA 550 BID RF distribtion amp to control the Sat and DVD. It uses the existing coax. Also have a channel plus modulator. The modulator allows me to set each the Sat. R. and dvd to a certain channel. Use 55 for Sat. R and 63 for DVD. To watch Sat. TV tune to 55 and use the remote to change channels. Also allows us to turn the Sat. R on and off from the couch. No running front to back to control every thing without moving.

Donnie_M
06-14-2010, 08:21 AM
We have direct TV with the sound coming from the bose system, this causes us to use the bose remote for sound control and tv remote for tv control. Any solutions?
Bill

For the Bose, if it is the older RF only model, use a IR to RF Bose matchbox. http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/C-1024A/Control_Converter/5/1 It's a little pricey, but it works! With this unit you can get a programmable universal remote, we prefer the MX850 for the ease of programming and it's user friendly. You can find the IR codes at Remote Central .com.

michaeldterry
06-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Install a IR repeating system such as http://www.iautomate.com/products/IR%252d350-Home-Theater-Infrared-Repeater-Kit.html there are several different brands that achieve the same result. I have not had good luck with the rf to ir systems, plus if you are at a rally, someone else can change your stations. The IR repeating system will also allow you to install only one Blu Ray (or other DVD players) and control it from the other areas including the bay. This is the one we use http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20262 on non AMX coaches. Don't be intimidated about running wires front to rear, you can use Prevost spares and also be very creative on wire runs...lol

It's very important to purchase the right IR repeating system depending on whether or not you have LCD, Plasma and fluorescent lighting. All these component put out light frequencies which interfere with IR repeating devises.

Donnie - thanks for the tip! We'll be checking into an IR repeating system!

Donnie_M
06-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Donnie - thanks for the tip! We'll be checking into an IR repeating system!

Check around real close in your coach, it may have a Niles system in it that someone just disconnected. Your year usually had a Niles in it.

Bill1170
06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks Donnie, sounds like a simple enough solution.
Bill

BenC
06-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Willis, there are several on-line retailers who say they have D12 receivers in stock, just make sure in the Q and A sections that the receivers come with cards. They will be considered leased when we get to the activation stage with DirecTV, but that will be the case no matter when the receiver comes from. Give me a call after you have a chance to check these out. Start with Amazon.com and let me know what you decide to do. Thanks.
Ben

Donnie_M
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Willis, there are several on-line retailers who say they have D12 receivers in stock, just make sure in the Q and A sections that the receivers come with cards. They will be considered leased when we get to the activation stage with DirecTV, but that will be the case no matter when the receiver comes from. Give me a call after you have a chance to check these out. Start with Amazon.com and let me know what you decide to do. Thanks.
Ben
Ben, make sure if has AMX, he gets the d12-100! D12 200 and 300 are completely unstable with AMX.

michaeldterry
06-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Check around real close in your coach, it may have a Niles system in it that someone just disconnected. Your year usually had a Niles in it.

A Niles system? I'm not familiar with that. Explain please?

Donnie_M
06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
This is Niles... http://www.nilesaudio.com/ Back then we used Niles ir repeating systems in some coaches.

Ray Davis
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
So, DirecTV just sent me a note that they would like to give me a new receiver for free. I am running an old RCA (I think, I'd have to go to the bus to be sure). I am concerned, however, I think my unit is one of the old kind that "helped" the in-motion disk find the satellite. According to my sales documents I have a KVH in-motion satellite. Unlike my previous bus, where I had a control panel with buttons, the best I have here is an on-off switch.

So, given my very vague description do you think it wise to get the free new box? Is there a possibility I would need additional hardware to help "point" the in motion antenna?

Thanks,
Ray

BenC
06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Actually, all KVH dishes required the satellite receiver's "help" to supply the 13 or 18 volts to the LNB to select the polarization of transponders to receive signal from. Since KVH dishes did not (and still don't unless you buy their most expensive model) have a built-in IRD (satellite receiver) to supply power to the LNB, their internal rf board will not detect a satellite signal strength to know it is on a satellite without an attached receiver. It does not matter which receiver, however. The dishes of your vintage did not require a low speed data port for feedback to know when it was on a satellite. Older dishes, however, from KVH, and Datron and early Motosats were the systems that remain problematic as to the upgrading/changing of satellite receivers. If in doubt, look at the back of your receiver and make sure you only have coax and maybe some RCA cables attached. The low speed data cable is a 9-pin serial cable. As long as you don't have one of those attached to the receiver, you should be in good shape if you chose to get a new receiver. Hope this helps.

Ray Davis
06-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks Ben, I'll crawl back behind that closet. I don't remember seeing the data port in use, so if I can get a new receiver out of the deal, I just might go for it. Of course, with my luck, the dimensions will be all wrong, requiring major updates to my equipment rack :)

michaeldterry
06-15-2010, 03:36 PM
This is Niles... http://www.nilesaudio.com/ Back then we used Niles ir repeating systems in some coaches.

Where do you suggest I begin the search in my bus to see if there was one installed and later disconnected?

gmcbuffalo
06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Ray I have an old Datron and I got a simple DirectV box and It works in motion OK. I would get the new box and if it works keep it if not send it back.
Greg

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I know I am living in the dark ages, a fact verified by my complete lack of understanding most of these posts.

When we had "Classy Chassis" our first bus our TV options were to use the roof antenna to get local. If you did not raise the antenna too high you could receive nearby stations while moving. I guess that was the original in-motion TV. Our second option was to hook up to cable at a campsite.

After screwing with a KVH that was on the bus for far longer than we should have, we finally put a Trac-Star on our current bus, had a local dealer activate the Direct TV and the things has worked without issue ever since. The TV is one of those big old boxes with a glass picture tube but it works. As long as we can get our XM music for rolling down the highway and a few of our favorite Dierct TV channels when parked life is good. From reading the posts I know screwing with what we have appears to create nothing but problems so any plans I may have had to get a newer TV have just been postponed until the current TV dies.

I don't know how it works or why it works, but our current installation doesn't require me to point the remote at anything. Just push a button and it works. I like that because that way we don't need the satellite receiver anywhere in sight. More magic that I don't want to give up. You know we are crossing an invisible line when the electronics become more complex and important than the bus carrying them. Planes have gotten that way also.

A brain dump from a Neanderthal.

truk4u
06-16-2010, 08:46 AM
It's OK Jon!:p

Jon Wehrenberg
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I knew that was coming. Don't you have some sheep to shear or whatever you do to them?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Ray, what you said is all true.

When I switched to a New Direct TV box, I had to replace my ( Datron ? ) satellite dish, with a New TracStar 360 and the cabinet had to be redone to make what was going on inside the cabinet fit properly with the newsurround sound and DVD players.

The satellite boxes will always be a different size than what you have space for.

I now have HD , Dish network and love it. All though we haven't been in the bus but once since the first of the year. Work, house remodel and stuff like that !

Gary S.

GSwaim
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Hey Gary,

How has your TracStar been with auto toggle between the Dish Network satellites? I found this to be a bit clunky and troublesome. do yo uhave a single VIP 211 Dish Network reciever?

scott13
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Donnie, The last time out I couldn't get either reciever to pick up a signal. Would these updates you're talking about have anything to do with that? I called Direct T.V. and the guy had me do that thing with yellow button holding it down for two seconds. It didn't do any good, the tech put me on hold and then hung up after about ten min. I never got it working guess I'll try again this weekend. Scott

GSwaim
07-02-2010, 07:18 AM
When it comes to troubleshooting satellite signal problems, it's helpful to understand you are working on two separate systems. Your mobile satellite system and your DirecTV satellite system. If you half split the problem you then can troubleshoot the right system. So what is half splitting? With a good signal meter like a birddog, check to see if the input coax running from the mobile satellite system to your DirecTV satellite receiver is indeed got the correct signal on it. If the answer is yes then the problem lies in the DirecTV receiver system, if no signal is present don’t bother to call DirecTV you have a cabling or mobile satellite problem. Now that you know which system has the problem you can start to troubleshoot the right system.

DirecTV receivers can show no signal if the receiver configuration is incorrect. For example, if you have a dome satellite system but have selected #4 (KA/KU SL5) in the receiver setup for dish type, your receiver will show no signal. If you sellect SWM instead of Multiswitch, then again the receiever will show no signal. Hint, for all dome style mobile satellite systems, use selection # 1 - round 18” unless you are trying to make the dome autotoggle between two or three satellites. Bottom line, make sure you have the correct dish selection and switch type for DirecTV receivers. Another issue I see very often is the DirecTV receiver becomes confused when it loses power during a generator to shore or inverter ppwer switch. The red reset button behind the righthand little door on the face of the DirecTV receiver fixes almost 90% of these isues. Momentarily pressing the red reset button will make a DirecTV receiver go from a no signal message to watching TV in about four minutes.

scott13
07-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I guess what I don't understand is that you can start it up and have a perfect signal. Put the bus away, get it out a week later and it shows no signal. That's what drives me crazy. I wish you could just hookup to a thousand mile long cable and have it over with!

Neal&Carla
07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
After we have not used our bus Direct TV for a while (more than a week or so) we frequently do not have a signal. A call to Direct TV take care of it in short time.
Neal

GDeen
07-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I sometimes have to start the trouble shoot process for my KVH to pick up the satellite...annoying but always works in pretty short order.

As to direct tv, sometimes it will throw a code saying contact customer service, and show a problem identifier number on the screen. Usually a 2 minute run through their automatated tech service will cure the issue. Mine is more random that Neal's...

Danss
07-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I have Direct tv in my home and on the Bus. Due to not having a phone line attached to the bus reciever everytime I do not use the bus for several weeks I have to call in to Direct tv to reset bus reciever. Here is the good news as there is a special number to call 800-769-4635 and you do not have to go thru any prompts and it is always answered promtply!!! This is there Special projects group and seem to know more than the regular folks!! Give it a try. Dan

michaeldterry
07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
After we have not used our bus Direct TV for a while (more than a week or so) we frequently do not have a signal. A call to Direct TV take care of it in short time.
Neal

You can also do this yourself online (Reset/resend authorization). Start at the following link: https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login/login.jsp?_requestid=3701952, then login with your e-mail address and DirecTV password. Then click on "Help" then "Tools" and then "Refresh your receiver". Select the receiver(s) you want to refresh and within a couple of minutes you should be back in business!

GSwaim
07-05-2010, 11:26 AM
If anyone is interested, both DirecTV and Dish Network use a netwrok style configuration for all the satellite receivers. Both companies have a automatic refresh network protocol in place that goes out and checks all activated receivers on the network eery 3 weeks or so. If the receiver isn't seen it is dropped from the current receiver database in the netwrok. So if you haven't left your receiver connected to a satellite dish that is pointed to the satellite for 3 weeks or more that receiver is dropped from the network. Once you reconnect it to the satellite the receiver has to be re-authorized again to make it active in the network again. This can be done online, by phone or by an authorized technician like myself. The secret to never having to re-authorize a satellite recever is to leave it up on a satellite connection even when not in use. When you park the bus in the barn, connect the receivers to a fixed satellite on the barn and you will never have to reauthorize them again. Hope this helps all of POG that are frustrated with re-authorization.

Larry W
07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Good reason to use the bus at least every two weeks

flloyd
07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
If anyone is interested, both DirecTV and Dish Network use a netwrok style configuration for all the satellite receivers. Both companies have a automatic refresh network protocol in place that goes out and checks all activated receivers on the network eery 3 weeks or so. If the receiver isn't seen it is dropped from the current receiver database in the netwrok. So if you haven't left your receiver connected to a satellite dish that is pointed to the satellite for 3 weeks or more that receiver is dropped from the network. Once you reconnect it to the satellite the receiver has to be re-authorized again to make it active in the network again. This can be done online, by phone or by an authorized technician like myself. The secret to never having to re-authorize a satellite recever is to leave it up on a satellite connection even when not in use. When you park the bus in the barn, connect the receivers to a fixed satellite on the barn and you will never have to reauthorize them again. Hope this helps all of POG that are frustrated with re-authorization.

I think you should be a bit more clear about this. "Being Seen" doesn't mean being seen by the satellite in the sky because the satellite receivers don't transmit, they only receive. As I understand it, the satellite companies send out a code and each receiver must phone home (either by internet or by telephone) to respond to the 'ping'. Just leaving a dish parked out in a field with no telephone or internet connection would not notify the head end that the unit was still listening as a network participant. At some point, the thing has to phone home to justify its existence.

Please do enlighten me if I'm wrong, of if perhaps there is more to the story.

-fred

mike kerley
07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Fred, The software in the receiver is expecting to see the signal from the birds and when it does not (for an extended period set by DirectTV) it drops off the network. It does not talk to the network, just receives from it. We have a unit used in our outdoor area that has not "called home" for over three years. Its one of the older TIVO units, still works fine, just displays the "call home" message when we use the DVR features.

flloyd
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Fred, The software in the receiver is expecting to see the signal from the birds and when it does not (for an extended period set by DirectTV) it drops off the network. It does not talk to the network, just receives from it. We have a unit used in our outdoor area that has not "called home" for over three years. Its one of the older TIVO units, still works fine, just displays the "call home" message when we use the DVR features.

Thanks, that makes sense. I was just taking issue with the comment that "If the receiver isn't seen it will be dropped from the network database". Perhaps I'm just being nit-picky with semantics. Good info all.

-fred

Willis Michell
07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Perhaps they could get this process just a little MORE complicated...

GSwaim
07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Actually it's pretty simple, just use what you have every couple of weeks and nothing will need to be done with the receivers. Park and forget it for a month and you will have to have a reauthorization. Ain't that complicated

As to the electron chasing, what I've expereinced most think they want to know all of the details but somewhere somewhere in the middle of the discussion I get the glassy eyed, I'm sorry I asked look that tells me they really didn't want to know. That's why I try to keep it simple. Sorry to those folks wanting to get into the minutia of how the receivers work.