PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Internet with VPN ???

ajducote
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
This is mostly directed at Gary Swaim but anyone who has 1st hand experience, please chime in.

I am wondering if anyone is using Motosat system to connect to the internet and using VPN? From all the research I have done it seems like it is either slow or impractical to do. The wife and I use 3 different computers that must use VPN to connect to our work sites. We currently use Wi-Fi and/or data cards with a MBR1000. It would be nice to be able to park anywhere and use a Satellite without worrying about cell coverage or campground WiFi.

Is there any combination of sat dish and service provider that allows a VPN connection with decent speed?

Thanks

GSwaim
06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Andre,

Using a VPN through Satellite internet service isn't reccommended and painful if you try. The main reason is long ping times. Since there is a 50,000 mile trip your data must take on satellite service, it takes time even at the speed of light. Most VPN protocols won't allow that much time to authenticate due to security. Secondly, if you get a VPN to connect, the speed at which it operates is so slow most say they can't take it. I would suggest VPN across cellular G3/G4 service for bst mobile results.

ajducote
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Gary,

Thanks for the the info. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion after all my research, I just wanted to make sure I had not missed something. I was kinda hoping there was some "New" gadget that would make VPN work over satellite.

I guess I will stick with my data cards and WiFI.

Ray Davis
06-05-2010, 02:26 AM
I used to have a MotoSAT f1 and ran a hardware VPN connected to pixar and it worked great. Even had Pixar voip phone in on same router. I used a Sonicwall box and was very happy. I did have a higher priced faster service however.

GSwaim
06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I have seen special hardware to compress the data stream work but haven't seen a dependable solution for the long term that is fairly reasonable in price per month. Spending $120 per month for satellite VPN with special hardware would net you a X2 dual WAN cellular system with two different Cell systems feading your Local area network. Same $120/month and doesn't take all that expensive equipment to make it work.

Then you must figure that when G4 is the standard it will run like having two G3 cards bonded together.