PDA

View Full Version : Bus Horns quit

Danss
05-29-2010, 04:09 PM
All of a sudden my horn won't work. Are they air or electric are a combination of both? Are they converter installed or Prevost? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dan

dale farley
05-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Dan,

Most all of them are air horns, and I think they are converter installed. If they are not working, you probably have a blown fuse or bad solenoid. Could have a leaking air line, but odds are against it. They are not very complicated.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
If the car type horn does not blow I think you can rule out the selector switch being moved by accident. If they do blow, move the switch back to air horns.

Otherwise Dale has nailed it. Its a circuit breaker, a solenoid valve or a relay if one was used. Just to be sure it is not your horn button switch to the auto horn to see if it works.

rahangman
05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
I had this same problem not long ago. Upon checking (after helpful hints from Poggers), I found the wires to the air control solenoid in the compartment below the driver had come off. Further thought was that HWH had done some extensive work in the compartment and probably knocked wire connections loose and they finally seperated from the valve. Always good to have the air horns available.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Dan, same thing happened to me a year or so ago. Short, Long, long, long story, Royale has a square dash push button for the horn. Push button stuck midway so you would not notice it. Finally discovered it and a small knife blade dislodged the pretzel crumbs or whatever.

Danss
05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
My horn is in in center of steering wheel and as per Jon an a few others I swapped relays and flipped circuit breaker a few times with no results. After everything else failed I read my Vogue manual and it says a horn solenoid is behind the TV in front. I will get several strong backs and get TV out when we get home and look at it. Thanks

Danss
06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
HORN UPDATE
Cleaned the Horn solenoid as per instructions from customer service at Hadley Horns and horn works great!

gmcbuffalo
06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
What's Hadley have to say about cleaning?
Greg

Danss
06-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Let all air out of system. There is a screw on cap on top which you take off and inside you will see a small rubber tip. Carefully with needle nose pliers pull the tip up and its attached round metal cyclinder ( about an inch long and the size of a round pencil) It has a very small spring inside that comes out of the bottom when you pull the rubber tip out. DON"T LOSE SPRING. With 1500 grit sandpaper clean metal cyclinder of calcium deposits and with a screw driver sand inside of hole clycinder came from. They build up calcium deposits over time and do not work. Call me @ 228-216-3706 if you have questions. Dan