PDA

View Full Version : POG logo design question

aggies09
05-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I was out and about this morning and pulled up behind a vehicle at a stop light that had a sticker that looked eerily similar to the white oval POG sticker. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it was a PSU sticker (Penn State University). I was curious if Skiffer or someone else was influenced by that design or if that was strictly coincidence? Any thoughts?

Loc
05-29-2010, 01:50 PM
The story that I have heard from Jeff Raymond was that it was Easter four years ago while Skiff was hiding Easter Eggs for his children that he had an "ah ha" moment. He thought about the need to be able to identify POG members worldwide (besides the current secret handshake). Naturally hiding Easter eggs made him think of the egg shaped design for a potential way to identify POGgers. He did extensive research with the US Patent Office and the US Department of Commerce Trademark and Copyright divisions to determine if there was the potential for litigation if such a design was used. He then commissioned world renown graphic artist Pablo McTavish to create a one of a kind design which rumor has was fashioned after the world famous Faberge jewel encrusted eggs. The first prototypes actually had jewels encrusted on the stickers but the jewels proved too expensive and were quickly replaced with LED lights. The initial prototypes proved to be difficult to install and were modified to the current black and white bumper stickers. I am not sure that I buy Jeff's story, but wanted to pass it on.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Loc,

I can use a little of that stuff you are spreading for my tomatoes. Do you deliver?

aggies09
05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I am just glad and appreciative that a public servant such as Loc has the time to thoroughly answer such riveting issues and concerns that are so relevant to the common POGger.

Faberge was a nice touch.

Jim Skiff
05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Tony,

I guess I agree with your post...But I have no idea how Loc got past our screeners.

Jim

garyde
05-30-2010, 12:29 AM
There is a thread on the POG sticker a few years back prior to our Branson Missouri Rally. I believe we were all thinking 'wouldn't it be nice to have a sticker' and then someone said 'yea, that might be nice'. And then we all agreed to copy someone else's sticker.

rfoster
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Gary: Your answer regarding the design of the POG logo is NOT politically correct. I think it is quite clear that Loc is being influenced by his enviourment, as in govment bureaucrats. He needs to get his "A" out of govment work and get a real job.

aggies09
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
That appears to be an affirmation of my assumption.........

Skiff are you a PSU grad/fan? Just curious as to the origin of the influence.

Loc
05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Gary,

As the "First POG sticker to be Spotted on a Bus Award" recipient you may have the more accurate version of the POG sticker genesis. I was just relaying a cherished folklore story told to me by Raymond around a campfire.

Jim,

Do you mean Truk when you say the "screeners"? I think that answers the question.

Roger,

Are you hiring?

Jon Wehrenberg
05-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Loc got past the screeners because you have been hiring moonlighting TSA employees. If you want to keep posts of that nature from this forum you need to hire a few North Korean censors.

truk4u
05-30-2010, 05:15 PM
The Screener was much to busy catching a 100 + pound, 6 foot Tarpon using light tackle and 60 lb test line off Boca Grand to worry about the Government Employee's dribble!:p

Jim Skiff
05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Tom,

I ....or should I say we would like to believe you, but from the pictures you provided I don't see a hundred pound tarpon. I don't know if anyone told you but when you catch a fish it actually comes out of the water into the boat or onto the shore. Light tackle? Maybe for marlin. Come on Tom, we've all snagged the bottom hoping it was a real bite or ........nibble. The date and time stamps on the images are good for effect though.

JPJ

truk4u
05-30-2010, 10:18 PM
That was harsh, real harsh....

Jim Skiff
05-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Tom,
I'm sorry, I thought the top photo was supposed to be a fish, upon closer inspection I can clearly see that it is a photo of your windbreaker that blew off the deck and is starting to sink. :D

parksincpp
06-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Let's get back to the bedazeled POG sticker, where can I get one of those?

MangoMike
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
The story that I have heard from Jeff Raymond was that it was Easter four years ago while Skiff was hiding Easter Eggs for his children that he had an "ah ha" moment. He thought about the need to be able to identify POG members worldwide (besides the current secret handshake). Naturally hiding Easter eggs made him think of the egg shaped design for a potential way to identify POGgers. He did extensive research with the US Patent Office and the US Department of Commerce Trademark and Copyright divisions to determine if there was the potential for litigation if such a design was used. He then commissioned world renown graphic artist Pablo McTavish to create a one of a kind design which rumor has was fashioned after the world famous Faberge jewel encrusted eggs. The first prototypes actually had jewels encrusted on the stickers but the jewels proved too expensive and were quickly replaced with LED lights. The initial prototypes proved to be difficult to install and were modified to the current black and white bumper stickers. I am not sure that I buy Jeff's story, but wanted to pass it on.

I guess since BP is now on the scene, AIG is off the nation's radar allowing Loc to use his work time a little more wisely.

TP

Loc
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Tropical Fruit,

Thanks as always for the kind words.

henryhighwood
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM
"Loc got past the screeners because you have been hiring moonlighting TSA employees. If you want to keep posts of that nature from this forum you need to hire a few North Korean censors."

Argueably the best post in this thread.

kenrobertson
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Truk - Just a couple of questions......First....How come you could make it to Boca Grande and not Clearwater.........Second....whats with the Igloo cooler full of beer at 7:30 AM

Ken

SteveCooper
06-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm with you Ken. By 7:30 you should be at least half way through that cooler of beer.

truk4u
06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Ken,

Trips to Clearwater cost way too much and there aren't any Tarpon near Ulmerton!:p

Just to set the record straight, the cooler was full of ice not beer and was needed for the Red Fish filet's.

Shouldn't you be out selling a bus instead of picking on a Liberty owner?:cool:

kenrobertson
06-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Truk - OK, you win. I'm going back to work.

Ken