PDA

View Full Version : Southern Route HELP!!

LarryB
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
We want to head to Charleston,SC and Hilton Head areas then return to AZ. after the rally at BuckHorn this Fall. Haven't had the Bus East of TX. so I am asking for things to see, places to eat and stay, things that would be on your "Don't Miss" list.

We were thinking of East bound on I 20 returning on I 10, open on that routing as well.

This has to be good Guys, as I will have the Wife away from home [read Grand Kids]for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanks for the help and PM me if you like.

michaeldterry
05-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Larry - there are lots of worthwhile things to see and do in the Atlanta area on your way to or from! Just to name a few interesting attractions - Stone Mountain, World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Aquarium, Lake Lanier, Lake Allatoona, and a wide array of outlet shopping and museums! For a stopover - I would reccommemd that you try the Stone Mountain Park RV Campground. It has large big rig friendly sites with full hook-ups, dump station and great amenities - all inside Stone Mountain Park.

merle&louise
05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Larry,

On your return trip on I 10 you might consider stopping in New Orleans. The French Quarter RV Resort is a nice RV park located 3 blocks from the French Quarter in downtown New Orleans. The weather starts to get nice and cool in late September. New Orleans is probably about 10 hours driving time from Kerrville, TX.

The city has great shopping, restaurants, and the D Day museum. Also the old mansions on St. Charles Ave. and antebellum plantation homes on the Mississippi River are beautiful. Take her to Commander's Palace for dinner; she'll love it!

LarryB
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Michael and Tuga, that the kind of stuff I'm looking for, Thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I second Tuga's suggestion. If you haven't been there NO is a fun place with great food. That time of year it is getting a little cool, sweater weather, but if you hit it around the 3rd week in October the fall colors in the Smokey Mountains are nice. Not as spectacular as in NY, PA and New England but still very nice.

Neal&Carla
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
We stayed at the Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort. It was great. The restaurants were outstanding!! They were all part of the Lowrey Group--Old Fort Pub, Boathouse II, CQ'S and Antonio's. It has to be some of the best food anywhere. Each place had it's own ambiance but all wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our time on the island. We also did day trips to Savannah and Charleston. We would return in a heartbeat! We echo the sentiments of the French Quarter RV Resort. Great location and wonderful food. We enjoyed Emeril's and Galatoire's. Yummy!! Enjoy!

Carla

Ray Davis
05-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Just make sure to get to hilton head before dark. They do not allow you to park after closing hours. once you're there, you'll appreciate why.

LarryB
05-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Carla, thanks for the Food info, we do like to eat.
Ray, Good Tip, I'm am planning out the trip and usually don't drive after dark unless it makes sense to do so, would have been my luck to have planned to arrive at HH late. Now I know.

Woody
05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort and Marina is only about a half mile after the bridge on your left with sites on the marina and the Sunset Grill with some of the Islands best food and views. The down side - it's a long way from the rest of the island.

We owned a lot at the Outdoor Resorts facility and it is one of the best and in the middle of things.

It's a great Island.

Roadpilot
05-28-2010, 05:30 PM
We own a lot at Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort and just love the area. The bars and restaurants are fantastic. The beaches dynamite. If you get there after dark you can just park the bus in the entry area or you can stay in the Walmart on 285.