PDA

View Full Version : Culligan part??

phorner
05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I have been experiencing poor water flow through the fresh water outlet in the door of our Amana refrigerator. All filters have been recently changed and there doesn't appear to be a problem with the ice maker.

So, while cleaning the filter on the Cruiseair unit behind the fridge, I find this Culligan part. It is in the fresh water supply line to the fridge and has a direction of flow stamped on it. Kind of looks like a check valve of some sort and I'm sure it has never been serviced/replaced.

Any ideas as to its function, if I can remove it from the water feed to the fridge, or if it requires periodic inspection/service/replacement??

sawdust_128
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Paul, I have another element in my water system that is referred to as a post filter elemet. It removes chlorine and odor, but does not filter. It does require replacement, I believe just like a refrigerator filter, 6 months is the recommended schedule.

truk4u
05-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Paul,

Looks like a filter to me. My old Amana didn't have an internal filter, so maybe Liberty or a previous owner installed the filter for your ice and water.

phorner
05-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have a filter inside the Amana, (in addition to the Culligan RO system in the water bay) which I feel should be more than sufficient.

So, I'm inclined to remove this "mystery" piece.

phorner
05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
I removed the "mystery" Culligan part with no adverse effects. Flow to the refrigerator door water outlet is considerably improved.

FWIW our Liberty had 4 water filter/conditioning units in place. A pair of whole-house sediment filters just after the pump, then through the Culligan unit (which houses another sediment filter, an activated carbon filter and a reverse osmosis membrane), then to that "mystery" filter/part that was behind the fridge and finally through the carbon filter inside the Amana itself.

It's a wonder that any water got through that maze at all.

JIM KELLER
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Paul, Are you drinking the water from the refrigerator door ?

phorner
05-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Jim,

Absolutely! And, a couple of the ice cubes fit nicely in a tumbler of Scotch.....

Jon Wehrenberg
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Jim,

We wouldn't drink any water that came out of our coach water system and tank despite sanitizing it about every six months. But when I replaced our refrigerator last fall I added a RO system that I installed behind the refrigerator and with the filter installed in the refrigerator I do not hesitate to drink the water or use the ice cubes. Its nice not having to bring jugs of RO water from the house every time we go on a trip.

When I sanitize the tank and bus water system I add a couple of cups of Chlorox and then run it through all the systems, including the faucets, shower and toilet. Then I drain it and flush the lines with fresh water but we still have a bit of chlorox odor faintly detectable for a while. The Charcoal filter in the refrigerator takes that odor out of the water and the RO takes everything else out.