PDA

View Full Version : Smartcar as a toad

gmcbuffalo
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I was thinking of buying a Smartcar and towing it. I notice that it is as low to the ground as a Mini Cooper and was wondering if any of you that tow a mini have any problems with the ground clearance issues or just that fact that is lower than the bus?
GregM

BrianE
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Greg, Have you seen this? http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/towing-rvs-11464/. Looks to me like the Smartcar has almost no overhang so would think clearance would be adequate. The King knows for sure.

gmcbuffalo
05-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Brian I was wondering about road debris hitting the vehicle since it is so low.
GregM

rfoster
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Great Link re: Smart Car Towing Mr. Esler.

Seems there are some folks already towing them. The only Smart Cars I have seen behind an RV todate have been strapped on the back like lawn chairs or on a trailer.

I cannot see were ground clearance would be a problem. It is going to follow the bus and the ground clearance of the bus ain't that great. Especially between the front axle and rear axle when transitioning a railroad crossing or an uneven road intersection.,

Go for it. The worst thing that could happen is you will need another car.

stevet903
05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't have a problem towing the Mini..... the problem is more with the drop hitch that you need to get the lower height needed for the tow bar to line up properly. Blue Ox recommends that the tow bar be level with the car, or no more than 4" higher on the coach end. I think I have a 6" drop to get it level - it probably wouldn't drag if it was a 4" drop, and it would still meet the Blue Ox recommendation. It drags every once in a while, maybe three or four times in the last year of full-timing. Let me know if you want a picture of what it looks like....

Steve

BrianE
05-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Greg, For rock protection we are now using a Protect A Tow screen: http://protectatow.tripod.com/. It works very well and is easy to install/remove with a little teamwork.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-19-2010, 01:40 PM
;)[QUOTE=gmcbuffalo;64001] I was wondering about road debris hitting the vehicle since it is so low.

If it is a SMART CAR it should get out of the way when there is road debris!;)
I couldn't resist this one. Sorry:rolleyes:
Sandy