PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft Disconnect Systems

hobobimmer
05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Howdy POG. What does the braintrust say about drive shaft disconnects? Are there other brands besides the one made by Remco? Does anyone have experience towing a modern day Nissan Frontier? We are exploring ALL our tow options and this might be one we would consider.

Thanks.
Debbie Faires
Huntsville, TN

Woody
05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Had a Toyotya Celica Convert with a Remco shaft disconnect - great and easy to use.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
There is no end to the ingenuity that people have demonstrated to tow various vehicles

From tow dollies, to driveshaft disconnects, to transmission fluid pumps to wheel lifts that are a part of the bus. We have seen every one I believe. It is solely my opinion that there is no better,safer, or more efficient way of towing than to select a vehicle whose owner's manual explicitly approves towing four wheels down with no limitations such as distance or speed.

There are a lot of vehicles ranging from the current version Chevy Malibu which is a family sedan to Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 4WD pickups that are allowed to be towed by their manufacturer. I prefer to stick with options for a toad from a list of those that can be towed with no modifications or limitations. And given a choice (which I am not) I would opt for the lightest vehicle that will meet that criteria.

Danss
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Chevrolet 4 wheel drive trailblazer tows 4 down no disconnects req. I have towed ours about 35000 miles. Good luck

Coloradobus
05-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Ford -all divisions Escape-Mariner-Tribute 4X4 Hybrids towable, no limitiations
GM Trucks 4X4 wheeldrive, NOT ALL-Wheel drive except Escalade-Tahoe, Denali 4X4 HYBRIDS
Dodge trucks as DanSS said
Local foreign car transmission shop told us there is No reason mechanically GX and LX 470's up to 2007 towable, ours 1999 14,000 miles towed no issue
Subaru all stick shift
Jeep-Cherokees gas or diesel 4X4's like your Wrangler. We are towing a Wrangler Rubicon behind the Airstream 270 Classic Motorhome

We did pull and E-350 Ford 1 ton Van Airstream B-Class 190 to POG 2, Santa Fe 2wheel drive with Remco driveshaft disconnect, unfortunately they no longer have their own shop outside Omaha as they did when we went there in 2006 for the Ford Airstream VAN. Worked great.
There is a company in Arizona that does disconnects. If you do a Ford Van, we have to base plate, driveshaft disconnect, and Roadmaster XL adaptor for use of Blue Ox Advanta Towbar good to up to 10,000 lbs towe vehicle.
Remco has good info except a few differences of opinion. They say Honda Pilots up to 2009 are towable, Honda says NO, only up to 2005. Remco says our LX470/Toyota Land Cruiser is not, our Mechanic siad YES. YOu need to talk with a towing mechanic. Remco said we couldn't do a disconnect on a Merceder Sprinter Van, yet Ken at Hich-Pro and Tow in Eugene Oregon has set up a number of them. You need to do your do diligence., I even got Mercedes to agree with me that the G-Wagon G-500, being originally a military vehicle is towable with a transfer neutral. Roadmaster, Glenda was the contact said they were willing to send an engineer to the local MB dealer to see if they could build a baseplate. but by then we moved onto the Lexus, which she said we would be very happy with, and we are.
Just a few thought

Jamie Bradford
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
NOOOOOO PROBLEMOO !!! As long as you travel with fellow P O G members.................

sawdust_128
05-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I have the REMCO Towing Diconnect on my Dodge RAM 1500 SLT. It works great. Early on it needed a couple of adjustments but after that, it has not presented any negative issues. After practice of the all the hook up and unhook procedures, I can have the truck up and running in a matter of a couple of minutes. Maybe as quick as a minute.

Here is one thing I will suggest,. When you purchase the REMCO apparatus, they manufacture a new drive shaft for your vehicle. This will have the connect/diconnect splines built in. The installation requires that they pull the yokes (or you purchase new ones) from your old shaft and they install those on the new, REMCO shaft. However you do it, save the old drive shaft. Eventually you will want to sell the toad and you can reverse the install. Additionally, you can ship the disconnect shaft back to REMCO and have it refitted for your next TOAD .

You might want to review the installation/operations manual. I believe it is on-line and if not, I will scan mine and send it to you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

kenrobertson
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi Deb - I have a Remco drive shaft disconnect on my '01 Tundra - 160,000 miles driven - don't know how many miles towed, but a bunch - countless short trips, so hundreds of engage/disengages - not one problem - would choose a disconnect again if needed for the otherwise perfect tow vehicle.

Ken