PDA

View Full Version : Shore Power Cord (Plug)

aggies09
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Good morning all. I thought there had been a posting recently about replacing/repairing a shore power cord, but couldn't find the post. I had my center (ground) post on the end of my power cord break off the last time I unplugged from the surge protector. My question is two part. Not being an electrician, is it OK to continue to use, as is, in conjunction with the surge protector until I can get repaired/replaced and secondly, where is the best place to go to either repair or replace the cord? Is there an exchange program where I could get a refurbished cord and replace myself?

I know somebody just went through this but I can't remember who. Let me hear from you.

Will Garner
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Tony,

It is possible to get a replacement plug end. I had to replace one and was able to get the Marinco plug at a West Marine store. I don't know if they are in your area or not. Other marine companies may also be able to provide the plug. Lloyd had a wire come loose from the terminal in the shore cord or Marinco socket on the side of the coach.

Electrical supply houses are also a possible source for a replacement plug.

If it were me, I would not use that shore cord until I got the replacement plug installed. You need a ground!

Jon Wehrenberg
05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
DO NOT USE THE SHORE POWER CORD WITHOUT A GROUND.

You can replace the plug. I haven't done a search to see where all the sources are, but I would start at WW Grainger.

Will Garner
05-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Tony,

Here is a link to Marinco. You can do a search for the closest dealer by clicking the "Where to Buy" button in the lower left corner of the page.

Happy hunting.

http://www.marinco.com/product/50a-rv-replacement-plug

Will Garner
05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Tony,

In case you want to replace both ends of your shore cable, here is the link for the female connector into the coach outlet.

http://www.marinco.com/product/50a-125250v-locking-female-connector

Loc
05-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Tony,

You can order them through Camping World at http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/power-grip-replacement-plugs/5810 or PPL in Houston. I carry a spare in the bus. You should periodically check the connections in the plug as they tend to loosen over time.

Loc

jack14r
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I purchased one at Lowes,I think that only the largest stores will have them.

aggies09
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Loc, I am assuming that the dimension of the plug are sufficient that it will easily fit into the enclosure when rolled up. My current male plug end is molded onto the cord, so there is no way to check the connections.

Loc
05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Tony,

With the Camping World plug the only thing that may be an issue is the handle. That is plastic and can be cut off if necessary. Mine still fits through the small round enclosure but it is tighter. I looked several places and it was the only one I could find. The local HD or Lowes were no help.

Loc

aggies09
05-08-2010, 05:14 PM
That was my experience at HD and Lowes as well. Nothing that would work. Thanks.

jelmore
05-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Tony, if yours is like ours, the cord goes through a hawse pipe as in http://www.glendinningprods.com/cablemaster.html. Our male plug was damaged and we used an extension cord for a year. We worked our way to Conway, SC and Glendinning molded on a new plug end without removing the cable from the cabinet. I think Paul Horner had Liberty disassemble his cord cabinet and replace the cord.

If your install is like mine, I'd sure like to know of a plug that fits. I looked and could never find one.

phorner
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Jim,

You are correct. I had Liberty Coach install a replacement shore cord in our bus as my original one had substantial cracking at the plug end due to over heating. The replacement cord was considered "reconditioned" by Glendinning and was a substantial savings over "new" from Glendinning. Both had the molded plug end.

So far, I'm very happy with the replacement.

aggies09
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Jim,

That is exactly what I have. I am planning on being in SC in late July so I may need to set up an appointment with them to get a molded plug attached. I have ordered a couple of the plug ends referenced by Loc and hopefully that will fit and get me by until I can get over to Glendinning. I knew someone had replaced their entire cord on an exchange basis, but couldn't remember who, Paul I am glad to see your post. I will check to see if I have any cracking that warrant the same type of exchange.

jack14r
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
The Glendinning plug is smaller than others and it is the only plug that will go through the marine plastic threaded access in the bay where it is stored in my coach.

jelmore
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I had a bit of conversation with Paul Glendinning and he offered this bolt-on plug as a replacement. I've never seen this plug in any catalogs. Maybe it is theirs. I don't know if it will fit our installation, but I would guess so since he knew what our installation was.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I had a bit of conversation with Paul Glendinning and he offered this bolt-on plug as a replacement. I've never seen this plug in any catalogs. Maybe it is theirs. I don't know if it will fit our installation, but I would guess so since he knew what our installation was.

My bus has a Hubbell 9452C the cross to a Leviton is in the link.

http://www.buylevitoninstead.com/Hubbell-Wiring-9452C.htm

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-09-2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.thefind.com/appliances/info-50p-plug#page=3

Scroll down and find Hubbell on the left. I prefer Hubbell products to Leviton.

Both may not be the same physical size or shape and may not interchange in every application.

(meaning will it fit in your haws Pipe?) I have a square door.

JIM

aggies09
05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Jim,

I am always amazed at the amount of detail that you seem to have at your fingertips. Thanks for the guidance. I am afraid that the plugs ordered from Camping World will not fit. I will wait until they arrive to verify, but if not I can use your part number to find a replacement. Thanks.

BenC
05-13-2010, 09:33 AM
The Glendinning people have always worked well with us. We actually send cords back to them to have a new end molded on. We keep one in stock to rotate out ship broken ones back. It costs a bit more than the after-market bolt on plug to change the cord out, but the result is just as new and water-proof so not as suceptible to internal corrosion/loose connections. The only real problem with their molded end is that people tend to drop them and if the plastic cracks, then the terminals are exposed to air and water, and the cascade of failure begins.

The huge problem with the bolt-on ends is that due to heat-up and cool-down, and exposure to air and water, loose connections and corrosion are inherent. If a bolt-on replacement option is used, the plug should be taken apart and terminals should be tightened frequently to prevent loss of neutral and other voltage problems in the coach. This issue simply doesn't exist with the molded plug, unless the casing gets cracked.

Hope this helps.