PDA

View Full Version : Our first Prevost Gary & Megan Carmichael

Gary Carmichael
05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
As they say you will just know when it is the one for you. Well that happened to us in Stuart Fla. We had looked at several units like everybody does, but when walked into the 2005 H3-45 we both looked at each other and knew! After a week of negotiation, speaking with the original owner, service records the deal was struck. We are looking forward to many trips and meeting new friends. To us this Liberty is truly an Elegant Lady. Yours Gary & Megan Carmichael Milepost 163 Blue Ridge Parkway VA.

ajducote
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Congratulations! Now the fun begins! Enjoy your new baby, and keep us posted on how things are going.

Safe Travels, and welcome to the wonderful world of bus ownership!
OH YEA, where's the pictures! We all need to see pictures to believe it.

Alek&Lucia
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Welcome Gary & Megan,

Congratulations !
Also, welcome another H3 !

Alek

Jon Wehrenberg
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the asylum we call POG. Whatever you do make certain when you ask questions you realize none of us knows anything, and we all make up answers. It is strictly through luck that occasionally an answer will be correct.

You will enjoy it here as long as you understand the folks that hang out here are all OK as long as they keep taking their meds.

wayne
05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Congratulations Gary and Megan!!!
We also found our dream, a 2001 Vantare H345, waiting for us in Stuart last November.
What a thrill, eh?
Can't wait to see pictures!!

michaeldterry
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Congratulations and welcome to POG, Gary & Megan! Do post some pictures of your new baby and remember to add a signature with the year, model, and converter of your bus so that when you ask questions, the responses from the braintrust can be as specific as possible to your particular situation. Besides - some of us are brain damaged and don't have good memories! :p

Gary Carmichael
05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
My wife is the photo person she is at the coast but will get her to post photos next week other particulars 2005 H3-45 Liberty Elegant Lady #576, Gary

michaeldterry
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Gary - we can at least get you started on your signature!

At the top of the page, click on "Forum Actions", then on "Edit Profile";
On the next page, look down the left side and find "My Settings";
Click on "Edit Signature";
On the next page, locate the empty text box to begin creating your signature;
Use the various formatting buttons above the text box to make your signature look the way you want it to (font, size, color, bold, italics, etc.)
Type in things like your names, year and model of your coach, converter, type/yr of tow vehicle, and anything else that POGgers should know about you;
As you go, you can click the "Preview Signature" button below the text box to check your progress and see how it looks before saving/publishing;
When you have it like you want it, click on "Save Signature" below the text box (next to the preview button) and your new signature will appear below all your postings - just like magic! :rolleyes:
By the way - the "My Settings" area is also where your wife will come to add a profile picture, an avatar picture, and even a picture to your signature! (And, of course, you can also complete your profile information from here too!)

jack14r
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Yep,Stuart Florida can be a problem my wife says,I have owned 586 and now own 657,both great coaches.Gary it may take a year or so but in time you will be so pleased that you purchased the best,and you will never look back.Price is secondary after the sale but the service and satisfaction will be important for a long time.WELCOME to POG.

truk4u
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Congratulations, glad to see another Liberty on the Forum and be prepared to be harassed by the Country Coach guys, but we have your back!

garyde
05-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Gary, Congradulations on your Liberty. Welcome to POG. Buying a Liberty is a life changing experience.

Gary Carmichael
05-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Jack14r, Maybe you can help me , I need to get this coach inspected in N.C. Southport is my primary residence, just like the c ool summers in V.A. mtns. Where would you get this done I understand they have to jack it up ? Also are we required to have a class B liscence? Thanks for any info. I am leaving as we speak to go to the coast back on friday Iwill look to see any replies then regards, Gary Carmichael.

jack14r
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Gary,I have a Montana LLC(don't say anything Jon)therefore I don't need a NC inspection,I have a class A just because I needed it for other reasons.I had a Renegade toter home inspected last month and they did not jack it up,maybe they did it wrong.I do agree that you need more than a class C.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Jack,

I have something to share that may be of interest.

This relates solely to the state of TN. Apparently commercial buses (think 45' entertainer coaches that are not owner driven) are prohibited from towing anything. This law has been on the books and has not been enforced until yesterday when 45' entertainer coaches with trailers were stopped in Cookeville by the state police and the coaches could not continue with the trailers attached. The law is specific and says the buses cannot tow anything. Not a car, boat or trailer.

However, motorhomes are given a pass. Why were the entertainer coaches stopped? It says in the law buses, and the DOT number made them a bus. One that was registered as a motorhome was given a pass, but the driver had only a class B so he couldn't tow as I understand it. Apparently the trailer exceeded 10,000 pounds. I think the coach that was a motorhome had OR tags, but regardless TN only requires a regular license to drive a coach, but in this case the police demanded a class A.

Rob Russell is the source of the information and perhaps he can fill in the details, but I think as states get in worse financial shape they are going to look at revenue sources we haven't thought of.

It is a very fine line that separates an LLC owned coach driven by a non-owner (you own the LLC, but the LLC owns the coach) and an entertainer coach driven by a non-owner for hire.

jack14r
05-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Since my coach is titled as a motor home and not a bus I think that it would be OK,many states have a requirment that a trailer over 10,000 LBS can only be towed by a driver with a CDL.NC in 08 changed their law because farmers were having a problem with trailers being over 10K and now we can have a combined gross of 26,000 LBS-truck and trailer.

Will Garner
05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Gary & Megan,

First, Welcome to POG and will you be going to Maine for Skiff's mini-rally in July?

Second, you do not need a CDL, in fact in NC you can't get one for a bus converted to a motorhome. OK, now for the reason that I was given by NCDMV, "It has to seat more than 16 passengers or tow a trailer rated at greater than 10,000 GVW. You can upgrade to a "Classified B" license which is one step down from a CDL. I had to take a road test with a delightful female examiner. She said this may take awhile as she had never given a road test in one of these. She suggested a trip to Myrtle Beach. I called her bluff telling her I had a full tank of fuel which was enough to get us down there and back but maybe not before sundown. Oh, she passed me and I got the license. The written test is 50 questions. You must answer 40 of them correctly. Use the CDL manual as a study guide because none of the questions are based on driving buses. The questions are all about driving a tractor trailer. I was going great guns with 30 out of 30 correct. I let down my guard at that point and did manage to get 10 more correct answers. Yeah, I passed first time - you can too!

Finally, for an inspection location you might try contacting a tour bus company in your area that has a good reputation. Another possibility would be an outfit such as Gregory Poole. Their branch in Garner NC was willing to do mine but I use Holiday Tours in Randleman NC each January.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I know this does not apply to NC specifically, but it may have some bearing. NY state has an inspection program. Every motor vehicle that is registered in NY has to have a valid inspection. Where it was confusing for a while was some thought the Prevost had to have a commercial inspection, but others thought it was required to have a private vehicle (think car) inspection.

If you take your motorhome to a bus company you will get a DOT type inspection, and that is good, but it may not be suitable for a motohome. I would check with motorhome dealers to see what they suggest.

Loc
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Gary and Megan,

Welcome to POGland. Congratulations on your Liberty.

Gary Carmichael
06-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I just updated our profile, but I don't know the URL number of the picture that I have on my facebook account that has the picture of our coach,,,,I'll post the picture later : )

ms911
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
On the subject of safety inspection in NC, I just registered my 2005 Marathon H3 in NC. I was under the impression that I did not have to have a safety inspection the first year (according to a NCDMV email) but the lady at the DMV said motor homes do not need safety inspections. I have not followed up on this. Email me if you want.

Gary Carmichael
07-20-2011, 11:50 PM
911, I have been getting the coach inspected in Wilmington at Howard R.V. 27.00 They did not have to do anything to it! It wa funny they told me it was the first Pre vost they had ever inspected, and could not figure out how to open engine hatch, for some reason they had to know how many liters the engine was. Sorry for the late reply but was told they have to be inspected. Good Travels Gary