PDA

View Full Version : Tire Shopping

Sid Tuls
05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Price some new 365 tires for the front and tag from prevost mira loma $664.11 a piece installed and balanced. The drivers are priced at $643.00 I was just wondering if this is in the ball park? These are Michelin tires. It's what I have now.

grross
05-03-2010, 04:20 PM
In PA I paid the prices you quoted for Michleins...but my son had to mount and balance them.

phorner
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
They're a bargain compared to what I paid for 315's here in Florida....

garyde
05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Sid. Call them back and confirm that includes labor for removing the old and mounting the new. I had the two fronts done (365's) at Mira Loma last month. The tire price was about what you had quoted but there was about a two and a half hour charge on top of that. Total price incl tax , labor ,balancing, etc $1845.00.

Sid Tuls
05-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Will call in the morning and find out. thanks Gary for the heads up!!

scott13
05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm paying 780 each for 365's. I haven't put them on yet but I assume that's total the price.

campers
05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it is cheap!!! Did just the front tires (365) and paid $ 1750.00 in Frt. Pierce. Florida

scott13
05-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I think it is cheap!!! Did just the front tires (365) and paid $ 1750.00 in Frt. Pierce. Florida

I just put them on today and with mounting I was over your price about 1800.

Sid Tuls
05-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry for not getting back sooner alot of traveling so here it goes--- 8 tires $4,679.55 labor $1,536.90 2 shocks $154.00 labor $154.00 Total bill $6,381.75 ave $797.71 On the road in 9 hours and feeling good about it. Thanks Scott and helpers:)

Sid Tuls
05-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Just wondering how often most of you rotate your tires? I put on about 25,000 miles a year.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-15-2010, 06:05 AM
When I was putting on about 30,000 miles a year I rotated them every year. Front and tag to drives, and drives to front and tag. All tires were the same age and size. I had to knock them down because it was easier doing that than polishing the rims because the rims get reversed in their new positions. Keep in mind this was in the days when the inner drive was aluminum just like the others.

The net result was the tires wore evenly and after 130,000 miles I still had 1/4" of tread depth. I replaced the tires at that time because I was selling the company and I wanted it to put new tires on the bus as a going away present.

If I had a bus with dissimilar sized tires as the newer coaches have I see no advantage. I definitely would not put a front tire that had any sign of unusual wear on the tag.

The drive axle is the ideal place to correct any steer axle unusual wear patterns, but with the larger fronts now being used I don't see that happening.

Sid Tuls
05-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks Jon

James
05-15-2010, 09:19 PM
The drive axle is the ideal place to correct any steer axle unusual wear patterns, but with the larger fronts now being used I don't see that happening.

What about crossing them as in switching the left front tire with the right tag and the right front with the left tag?

When rotating our wrangler tires the left front goes on the right rear, the right rear goes to the right front which goes on the left rear which moves to the left front. Perhaps something similar could be done for the front and tag tires.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-16-2010, 07:32 AM
When we got our first coach the steers had cupping on the outer edges due to an out of balance condition. This was before I started using Equal and before I realized (thanks to Jim Keller) that the rubber tire actually rotates on our wheels.

Anyway that cupping was typical of the 12.00 tires of that time (1990). The tread depth was good, all the tires had been balanced, so I had the steers with the cupping put on the tag. Within 5000 miles those tires that had been placed on the tag had the rubber worn off down to the steel cords. Aparently the tag axle has ride motions that accelerate bad tire wear and accentuate it. At least that is the case I experienced.

I don't have any knowledge for or against side to side rotation, but I know I will not put any tire that shows an unusual wear pattern on the tag after my experience. FWIW the Michelins of 20 years ago are nowhere near the quality of those of today with respect to outer tread wear. Those tires back in the bad old days on just about everyone's coaches had a distinct scalloping around the outer edges that could be felt, and if allowed to continue could be seen. I learned a hard lesson that as soon as any unusual steer or tag axle wear is detected to move them to the drive axle where that wear will eventually be corrected. It goes without saying that part of the process is to eliminate the cause of the wear unless you want to continue going through the process of rotating tires.

BTW, I do not rotate tires now because I have no unusual wear at any position, but have been putting the newest tires in the steer position.

My Chinese drive tires still hold air.