PDA

View Full Version : Prevost Nj

dmatz
05-02-2010, 09:14 AM
I bought my dream to own a prevost a year ago a 2002 royale on a 2000 chasis. New tires in 2009 since then my left front tire 10k moles has bad wear on the curb side all others are ok and air pressure is good. I would like to take it to prevost in nj it's only a 3 hr drive and have this repaired as well as the necesary maintenance done for 65k miles. Any feed back on this facility or items to be done would be appreciated.

truk4u
05-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Doug,

I've been to Dallas, Nashville and Jacksonville with good results, but can't help you with Joisey!

dreamchasers
05-02-2010, 10:11 AM
My only experience with wheel alignment is with Prevost Fort Worth. I had my wheels aligned last year. They used the mobile contractor "Pro Tire" to do their alignments. It worked for me.

I have never been to any other Prevost facility.

Hector

grross
05-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Over the years I have used NJ Prevost both in the Meadowlands and in recent years their facility off I287. There people have always been fair and properly addressed my requests. The new facility has excellant parking!! Keep in mind they do not work on motor homes in the same numbers that the other Prevost facilities do.

stevet903
05-02-2010, 10:32 AM
How fat is your wallet and how tolerant are you of poor workmanship? I had a level one service done there which was supposed to change oil, filters, grease the chassis, overall check up of brakes, fluids, etc etc. The previous owner picked up the substantial tab as a condition of the sale. I found about half of the grease fittings were never touched, the passenger side front brake was adjusted too tight, the transmission filter was never changed despite looking like it was about to rust through, the fan belt was loose due to a frozen adjuster, the rear electrical box door was left open due to the hinge rivets corroding away. The final two were fixed in the parking lot when I did a walk-around with the service manager, the others were found later. This was before I joined POG and learned that you need to watch them like a hawk....... I still couldn't recommend them. Do a search through the forums, there have been a number of posts on people's experiences with Prevost service.

Where do you live? Do you have an IFS coach? Sounds like it is time for an alignment, and if it is an IFS coach, possibly some bushing replacement (before the alignment of course!!) There may be an alignment shop closer to home.

Steve

Jon Wehrenberg
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Doug,

If you are in Prevost ownership for the long term it would help you tremendously if you would cultivate your own team of experts that are close, honest, knowledgible, and willing to work for a fair price. You may choose to include Prevost in that list. Regardless of who you choose plan on having the contents of your wallet vacuumed out, and shitty work if you do not manage the work. Your do not have to understand all things mechanical, but you do have to participate.

If you have knowledge of what work is required do the research to determine if there are experts in your area, what the job should entail and what it should cost. If you do a search you will find that recently there was a thread on front end and whole bus alignments. That's a good place to get a better understanding of what it entails and the cost.

Generally speaking based on personal knowledge and many reports and conversations I would not make Prevost my first choice. It seems lately they have been quoting high prices for a wide variety of tasks so I would be concerned about that. Specifically, your stated problem is a worn new tire. When the alignment is done, that tire needs to go to the drive axle (not the tag) so over time the uneven wear can be corrected. But before the alignment is done I would make certain you do not have a front end bushing problem that is causing the mis-alignment. If that is the case that repair needs to be made before you attempt to get the alignment.

That is another case where Prevost wants an excessive amount for rebushing the IFS. There is another thread active now and if you pose questions on that thread the guys with IFS can guide you on what they feel would be the best approach.

It would help if you are more specific as to your location because POG members may know of experts in your area.

dmatz
05-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I reside on shelter island by on the very east end of long island ny. I have not been able to
get a referral for a shop for this work and have been reading the other post about good service in tenn, fla, tx. Was hoping nj would be as good. I am
open for help.

Denny
05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Doug,
Two years ago I had front end work done on my bus and correction of the ABS light being on at NJ Prevost. I was completely satisfied with the service and treatment received. At the time the manager was new and he was trying very hard to overcome the poor reputation NJ had. I had upper and lower A arms replaced because of bad bushings. I questioned replacing the entire A arm versus just the bushings. I don't remember the exact figures, but they gave me parts and labor prices for the replacement of bushings compared to the cost of new A arms and the new A arms were less. I was also permitted to watch and ask questions while the work was being done.

Again, that was two years ago and things may have changed but I left there very satisfied.

rickdesilva
05-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Doug
I live in NJ and have used Prevost in Nj for most of my work. I have been very pleased with their work. Be prepared to pay. However any work I had performed was done to my satisfaction. Carl the service mgr and Judy the Service writer/receptionist are great. I have no problem recommending them, get an estimate first and go from there. Overall I have been very pleased with their work.

Will Garner
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Doug,

Try calling Hampton Jitney. They run Prevost exclusively and may be able to perform your work as their schedule permits. I just met one of their mechanics and he loves doing Prevost work. He has been working on them for several years. He is from Florida (work dried up down there for mechanics with tour operators result of the economy) so he will have an accent. His first name is Bud, I can't recall his last name - I'm bad about that. You may know of other tour operators so consider giving them a call as well.

dmatz
05-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I will give them a vall they are right iny back yard. Did not think they would work on private coached. Thanks

hillndale
05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
i've been there a few times and they seem to do a nice job. most recently i had a few stainless panels that were slightly lifting at the edges. they repaired them but in the process put some small chips in the paint on them which i wasn't thrilled about. they touched them up but not very well. other than that they seemed to do a good job and were accomodating with scheduling. definitely not many motorhomes going through there though.

dmatz
06-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I was able to get Hampton Jitney to look at the coach. They did find the sway bar bushings in the rear completely gone, replaced them and the front end out of alignment. They recommend I go to NJ Prevost as that is where they send that type of work. So off to NJ I went. They found both A arms seals split and cracked, front end alignment on both sides. Rear alignment was out on the drivers side and was aligned and tag alignment were both good. Both front tires were marginal after removing them. The new tires were coded 1410. It was a full day and the mechanic Jeff, I must say was very very through. I will use them again for sure. Thanks for the feed back.

dmatz
07-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I recieved my invoice for all the work completed. Total with tax about $4,200.00 I felt as though it was a fair price for all the work performed.