PDA

View Full Version : Rear Electric Box Alert

Jon Wehrenberg
10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I posted this on the other site as well.

I was told of a problem another owner had with his rear electric box falling onto his engine. I checked mine and like his, the rivets are failing or the hole is enlarging and the result when all rivets fail is the box falls onto the engine and hangs on the wire bundles.

I checked my box for the same problem and found that the top rivets had failed and it is just a matter of time before the remaining rivets let go. I will be securing the box before I head out Sunday. I would urge all to check the boxes back there. The failure point is between the box and the bracket, not the bracket to the firewall.

Depending on how the box drops and what it hits could create an electrical hazard. Mine has two electric posts coming out the bottom and if they both land on something metallic there could be a dead short. I don't want to end up with two bus fires.

Ray Davis
10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Mine had done the same thing. All but one of the hinges had failed. It was a pretty trivial task to knock out the remains of the rivets and to re-rivet the door back in place.

ray

lewpopp
10-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Ray

This doesn't sound like a door problem. I think Jon means the whole electrical box.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Lew is right. It is the entire box.