PDA

View Full Version : Slide squeak....FIXED! Prevost TN goes extra mile to help.

Mark3101
04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I got the chance to stop at Prevost in TN on Friday morning on our way to Orlando. We have had a come and go squeak from our front slide since we got the coach in October. I had heard from another member that he got the Jacksonville branch to fix his by using some tape. Well, that is exactly what the good people in TN did on Friday. They clean the surface where the slide stop contacts the coach and then put some simple foam tape on it to insulate the two pieces of metal. It works, but I was told that the tape wouldn't last long and that I could replace it whenever it did fail.

Our squeak was driving us mad by the time we got to TN and afterward, there has not been a peep out of it. I just looked at the tape and it is somewhat misshaped and is quite flat where the slide stop rests on it, but it still is holding on and working.

One thing the service mgr at Prevost was very clear on...DO NOT USE GREASE ON THE SLIDE STOP! He said it would not work, and that it would leak onto the top of the slide and then get into the seal which would not be good as it would start to deteriorate the seal.

I asked if the tape should have always been there and was told it was just something they came up with to get rid of the squeaking and it was not a factory item.

I must also give kudos to the people at Prevost. I called them at about 8AM Friday to see if we could get in to at least get it looked at. They told me that they were swamped, but to stop in and they would at least look at it to see what was what. We got there about an hour later and they were indeed busy...evey bay in the shop looked full. After just a very short wait, they had me drive over to the west side of the bldg. and one of the supervisors got on a lift and did the work for us. He didn't even do any paperwork on it, just told me to have a good trip. I call that pretty good customer service. I know it made my day!

So if you have an issue with a slide squeaking, this should be the fix...at least temporarily. I wonder if they will come up with a more permanent fix in the future?

Sid Tuls
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Mark, I had the same experince over there! They were really good. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of what they did? When I was there I had a relay switch go bad on me for the rear slide. I was in and out of there in hour. They said the same thing have a safe trip and enjoy TN. Up to this point Prevost service centers have treated me GREAT!!

Mark3101
04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Mark, I had the same experince over there! They were really good. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of what they did? When I was there I had a relay switch go bad on me for the rear slide. I was in and out of there in hour. They said the same thing have a safe trip and enjoy TN. Up to this point Prevost service centers have treated me GREAT!!

I will post some when we get back. We are in Orlando now and will be leaving tomorrow afternoon for the trip home.

Ray Davis
04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Hey Sid. Did you get my private message I sent? If you have a free minute could you give me a call?

Ray

Sid Tuls
04-28-2010, 11:48 AM
No I didn,t Ray. I'm On the road to see a friend in USC give me a call because I misplaced your cell # Here is mine 559-901-6426 look forward to hear from you.

Mark3101
05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok..I took a couple of pictures. One shows the now mashed foam tape and the other is the slide top that contacts it. I can see that this will have to be re-done on a regular basis unless I find another tape or something else that will last a bit longer. I still don't have a squeak, but from the looks of the tape it won't be long until it comes back.

FWIW, we had occasion to stop again at Prevost TN on the way home with a broken alternator wire. Again, they were swamped but took care of us ASAP. Granted only needed a new ring terminal put on, but still did it without an appointment and got us on the road as soon as they could. I could have fixed it myself, but didn't have the part needed and since it is a warranty issue and we were driving right by, I figured they could do it and if there was a bigger issue they could deal with that too.

Sid Tuls
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Mark for taking the time to post the pictures:)

Mark3101
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks Mark for taking the time to post the pictures:)

No problem...I wish I had one just after the tape was installed...it would have shown it before it was all mushed up!