PDA

View Full Version : Fridge in lower bay??

Jamie Bradford
04-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I have a 2000 Xl. Plenty of room in the lower bays.

I am thinking of putting a fridge or a Waeco CoolFreeze Portable Fridge Freezer AC/DC CF

in a storage bay. Is there enough ventilation for a fridge compressor to run in a bay? If I need to put

in a vent going through the floor how difficult is that? Also , does anyone have any experience with

these "compresssor coolers"???

Thanks

Jamie

Jon Wehrenberg
04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
On our previous coach we had a chest type small freezer/refrigerator and AC/DC type. The bay was not vented to the outside, nor did it appear to be necessary.

GDeen
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I have one and it is not vented (that I can tell). Chest fridge / freezer depending upon the temperature you set. Didn't view it as necessary when looking at buses but we really like it and use it constantly. Go for it.

Loc
04-17-2010, 03:40 AM
We had a small wine cooler / refrigerator in our bay. The refrigerator had a vent cut into the floor of the compartment with a fan on a thermostat. We never used the refrigerator and removed it last year when we redid the entertainment bay. When running it would generate a fair amout of heat in the bay even with the fan.

dreamchasers
04-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Jamie,

A very good topic. I have a small AC/DC freezer located in the lower bay of my Country Coach. The freezer works well in the winter, but ventilation would make it work better in the summer. I notice that during the summer months, when it is hotter in the bay area, the low temperature achieved by the freezer, will be higher because of the ambient temperature. Mine does not have a vent in the bay, but installing ventilation is on the "to do list".

I also agree with Loc, mine also will generate heat while running, especially during the summer months.

If you do come up with ideas to add ventilation, please post pictures or I will do the same if I get to the job before you do.

Hector

Loc
04-17-2010, 08:30 AM
The ventilation for our refrigerator was simply a round approximately 7 inch hole cut into the floor of the bay with a wire mesh on the outside and a plastic (steel wool like) mesh filling the hole with a wire cover over the top. The ventilation hole was directly at the back of the refrigerator adjacent to the compressor. The fan was a computer type electric fan that had an electric thermostat. When activated the fan blew the hot air from around the compressor outside of the bay. I assume that it pulled air from the passenger compartment into the bay when the fan was running. I did not find any addition ventilation in the bay.

tdelorme
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Jamie, we've had one for a long time that I have moved from one coach to another over the years. Ventilation has never been an issue and the unit works great.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-17-2010, 08:45 AM
The bays, unless modified by the converter should be sealed from both the coach living space as well as outdoors. Exceptions to this generally are vents related to the generator, ventilation provided for batteries, and Cruise Airs.

When vents are added, the vented area will soon have a film of all the road dust and debris all over it unless the venting is of an isolated enclosure with its own air intake and exhaust. That coating is subtle and takes time, but it finds its way inside.

Any refrigeration needs air for the condensing coils, but if I felt the need for outside cooling air I would insure the refrigerator to be vented was within an enclosure sealed from the rest of the bay, and that that enclosure had a dedicated air supply and exhaust. One thing to note about bay venting. When cool air is needed most, such as in the summer in the southwest, the heat radiating off the highway far exceeds the internal temperatures of an unvented bay. I would make every attempt to bring supply air to the refrigerator from the bay door, and exhaust from the bottom. Pulling superheated air from the highway in the summer is unlikely to be beneficial. That is why Cruise Airs will shut down when used for cooling while traveling. I'm not sure I would want to punch slots in my bay door just to cool a refrigerator.

truk4u
04-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Jamie,

I put an AC/DC portable fridge in your bay for a few trips and had to remove it. It just couldn't cool enough because of excessive heat in the bay. Maybe venting is the answer, but Jon brings up some good points.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I thought a refrig in the bay was important when buying a bus. Now after having it I would rather have the storage room it takes up in the bay. It works fine, but goes unused. Planing on taking it out, but when????
I don't know if it is vented or not.

JIM

ajducote
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I have an AC/DC fridge/freezer in my front bay. The bay is open side to side and generally not filled with junk. I have it set to freeze mode and it has worked great for 6 years now. On a few occasions on really hot days I have opened the bay door to let in some fresh air, but I have never really noticed any issue with the freezer staying cold. I suspect there is enough air space in the bay to handle the needs of the fridge.

Jamie Bradford
04-17-2010, 10:37 AM
It seems like buying ice as I travel may be the easiest way to deal with this????????

truk4u
04-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Jamie,

Nothing better than brewski's on ice!:cool: Besides, just have Debbie go get the ice since your doing all the work!:p

bonhall41
04-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Jamie,
We also have one of those refrigerator or freezer looks like a big ice chest things in one of the bays (right under the Wii) and it does come in handy when making frozen margaritas. We've had one of these dual units in several other RVs and have never had a problem and it seems to work very well. We have also just used it as an ice chest on occasion but wished then that it had a drain of some sort. Besides, Debbie has other more important things to do than running to the ice store all the time.
Bonnie

Prevost.Rick
04-19-2010, 10:21 PM
most of the time when you are putting one of these units in you can some time get away if you have a full bay to disapate the heat,if you can get to the fresh air intake of your gen and get a themostat and small blower (squirrel cage) from say grainger you can get the bay cooled down there is a couple of ways to get intake air without the dirt that can come with a hole cut in the floor ,e me or 813-833-2284 and i,ll tell you the ways i,ve done it over the years,prevost.rick@gmail.com

gmcbuffalo
04-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Rick article please!!!!!!!!!!!! This would be helpful for all not just for the freezer.
Greg