PDA

View Full Version : Fuse / Circuit Problem 12 V House

MangoMike
10-01-2006, 01:10 PM
97 Liberty Classic 12v House

Am trying to find the fuse for the red reading lamps next to the driver and passenger. I don't have the Liberty manual that details all these circuits.

I did find 3 fuses like the photo who failed the continuity test. Other than Jon's garage, Lew's traveling ACE or Jerry's ______, where can I get a couple of fuses like this?

Thanks
Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
10-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I might be wrong, but that loks like a diode.

If you check with the ohmeter, you will get continuity with the probes in one direction, and when you reverse the probes, no continuity.

Look for the wire numbers at the light and they will also be at the fuses or CBs.

Jerry Winchester
10-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Mike,

If you can get any numbers off of it, Graingers will have it. You can seach it online, but they have about 400 pages of fuses, so you need to narrow it down some.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=Fuses&operator=viewAllResultsSearch&searchIndexId=0

MangoMike
10-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Jon,

Checked it both ways and no continuity. And I have others in the fuse box that do work - so I don't think it's a diode (wouldn't it be strange to have it right there w/ the other fuses?)

I'm hoping it is a fuse, as I replaced them with a 20amp fuse in the meantime.

I'll be calling Liberty tomorrow to check on my WatchDog so I'll ask them.

Jerry, I can't read anything off the fuse - I'll just buy one each from Grainger.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Ben
10-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Mango,

It looks EXACTLY like a diode that Liberty uses for their toad taillight setup. I had to replace one the other week because it was creating an intermittent problem. It might be hard to find that exact style... I replaced mine with one that had a wire coming out of each end so that I could attach leads and screw them to the wires that connect to each side in the coach... that way my intermittent problem went away (it was due to the pop-in style of that diode not always seating correctly). I wasn't able to read any of the numbers on it, but one of the other style of diodes (with the wires coming out each end) was used for one of the other taillights and it was readable.

I won't have time to read the numbers off the replacement diode before I have to fly to Iceland... I'd be at POG II if I didn't have to go explore some beautiful country... gosh, I'd much rather be talking diodes with you guys :D

MangoMike
10-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Well the brains were right. It is a diode. Confirmed by Tony at Liberty. However no longer available and they're trying to find me a suitable replacement.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Ben, have a blast in Iceland - beware of the PolarLews.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Mike,

A didode is a diode is a diode. If you can find the capacity you are likely to be able to find a replacement (maybe not that configuration however) at Radio Shack or even auto parts stores because they are used to wiring cars for towing and the diodes are often necessay. If not there check with an alternator repair shop.

Ben
10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
When I had to replace mine to get my toad taillight to work right, RadioShack did not have them (I checked three different locations). I had to go to a more specialy electronics store... it wasn't hard to find since I was in a pretty small town in California... the guy at RadioShack told me about them.