PDA

View Full Version : Hanger Queen Heads North

Jerry Winchester
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
This was the scene yesterday outside my office window. Yep, it's Loc McNew in the Millennium maintenance hog headed north to Prevost. The best part was the story where the door wouldn't unlock (while he and a large number of people + two dogs - okay, one big ass dog and one normal sized one were inside trapped).

Evidently an errant air valve kept the door locked, but a ladder and the emergency escape window did the trick. I would have paid money to see him lift the world's largest Beagle dog out of the bus.

truk4u
04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Word has that our favorite Government Employee has contracted with Prevost Dallas to secure permanent storage on site and provide a 24/7 porter service. I also understand the Loc Nest now figures 2 hours of shop time for each 1 hour of travel time is reasonable.:cool:

Jdub - Could you tell is he was still in his underwear while driving the bus or did he have on coveralls for the next "oh crap" moment?:p

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm just curious here, but can anyone explain how a company president can spend time looking out the window, much less spending time looking out the window with a camera in his hand.

This of course is likely not surprising because the little time not spent looking out the window is likely spent perusing the latest Acme catalog, or checking the latest stock yard reports for sheep futures.

garyde
04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Where is that air valve anyway. Is it accesible from the inside. I know on my other air doors I can get to most of them because they are identified and accesible.
Also, what was Loc doing with a bunch of people and two dogs locked inside his coach wearing just his boxers?

Jon Wehrenberg
04-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Isn't the door lock retracted by dumping all the bus air?

Seems if the switch wouldn't cause the door lock to retract wouldn't shutting down the engine and bleeding air pressure for the coach aux air system cause it to retract? Aux air can be bled from inside the coach by actuating the bed lift, pocket doors, driver's seat, air horns or anything else that uses air.

Loc
04-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks JDUB.

Just a note to the XLII crowd. We came back from a trip on Sunday (with my family + dogs + a friends wife and two kids) and could not get the entry door to unlock. The automated air lock in the top of the door would not disengage. I bled all the air out of the auxillary system that I could internally (down to about 5 psi) and the lock still would not release. I called Prevost and they said to look for a Norgren valve under the dash board. After spending 25 minutes dismantling the dash and not finding any valve I decided to exit the bus via the emergency window and see if I could release the last 5 psi of air from the aux filter drain in the utility/electrical service compartment under the driver's seat. Prevost said they would call back after looking at the schmatics for the bus. We then took everyone including the dogs out of the bus through the emergency exit window (that was fun and a zoo). Everyone left and I continued to look for a fix and started pulling air lines off valves in the electical compartment and bingo the lock opened. The Norgren valve that controls the door air lock is very conveniently placed in the electrical compartment in easy view and reach. When Prevost called back (about 10 minutes later) they said the value was not under the dash but in the bay (which I had found). They did say that the valve for the newer H3's is under the dash. To make a long story somewhat shorter the Norgren valve was not functioning property. I cleaned it out and tried it again. At least this time I only had to climb out of the emergency window exit. Thank goodness for the larger XLII windows or I would still be in the bus and so would the Fat Beagle. I got a new valve from Prevost on Tuesday and replaced it and things were fine. If you have this issue (failed valve) there is no way to release the door from inside. I am working on a fix that runs an air line to the driver's area that I can unplug to release the air just in case for the next time.

When the world's busiest CEO took the picture I was indeed heading to Prevost in Dallas for some other repairs. What amazed me is that it was 5:15 pm and El Queso Grande was actualy in his office to take the picture. Usually when I call around 4:30 pm his assistant (Sharon who is very charming) makes some creative excuse for why he isn't in the office. When I dial the home number it is easy to reach him at 4:30 pm.

Truk,

Don't you have some sheep to help over the fence?

Jerry Winchester
04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I think he tried that.

A1 - I know living in Tennessee is a challenge but when you drag yourself into this century, among other things you'll discover are phones (that have no cord or hand crank) that function like computers and have cameras in them. It's all pretty amazing, but in the interest of full disclosure, I did get a heads up call from Beagle Boy as he was complaining about the traffic on the Sam Houston....

JDUB

Jon Wehrenberg
04-09-2010, 02:43 PM
JDUB, so basically you were goofing off playing with your camera, phone, internet connection, clock, timer, calculator, calendar, and photo album.

Here in TN we actually work.

merle&louise
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Quick question: Do XLs have this air locking mechanism or is it only on XLIIs and H3s?

Also is this air lock system used each time the door is opened/closed (i.e. in a CG)? Or does it just latch closed?

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Quick question: Do XLs have this air locking mechanism or is it only on XLIIs and H3s?

Also is this air lock system used each time the door is opened/closed (i.e. in a CG)? Or does it just latch closed?

My bus has an electric lock and an air lock. I only use the air lock when driving. I am not sure if that was the design intent, but that's what I prefer. I use the electric or key lock or keypad lock when the bus is stationary. I think those three are all the same lock just actuated differently.
Sometime I lockup differently though, it all depends on my mood :rolleyes:

JIM

Mark3101
04-09-2010, 09:08 PM

On mine (2006 XL2 chassis) the air lock is tied into the parking brake. Brake off, door locks, brake on door unlocks. I hope it keeps working that way as there is no other way to unlock it that I have found!

Mark3101
04-09-2010, 09:52 PM
JDUB, so basically you were goofing off playing with your camera, phone, internet connection, clock, timer, calculator, calendar, and photo album.

Here in TN we actually work.

I thought you were retired?? <VBSEG>!! Sorry...I couldn't resist...

Jon Wehrenberg
04-10-2010, 07:13 AM
I can see Mark is going to be a problem. Instead of sitting on my butt in the big office, I really do have to work.

Orren Zook
04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I thought you were retired?? <VBSEG>!! Sorry...I couldn't resist...

My brother-in-law is retired, he says he's so busy now that he doesn't know how he had time to work!

Mark3101
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I can see Mark is going to be a problem. Instead of sitting on my butt in the big office, I really do have to work.

I said I was sorry...<G>!

Jon Wehrenberg
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Are you kidding???? With this bunch you never apologize. If we don't get insulted or become the butt of jokes we will think there is something wrong.

If you do not want to be the butt of jokes or on the receiving end of insults with this bunch of misfits never ever show any signs of weakness or provide an opening for an endless stream of jokes and insults. The Acme Company has had double digit increases in sales as a result of this group.

MangoMike
04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm surprised Locness doesn't have BITE ME painted on the top of his bus for easy viewing from the Dubmasters office.

rfoster
04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
If you examine the photo closely, and I mean really close-- it appears that the passengers are mooning the executive office.