PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Tecma Toilets

James
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking about having the Headhunter Royal Flush toilet removed and the Tecma toilet installed. The reason is that the Headhunter wastes water. I've tried taking the Adder valve apart and cleaning inside however it only worked one time for about a week. Repeated cleanings doesn't seem to change the 12 to 15 second deluge of water into the black water tank every time the flush button is pushed requiring us to dump once a day. Not good for dry camping.

I'm thinking about having Marathon doing the work. They indicate the installation involves removing the 110 volt water pump and installing two 12V pumps of which one is a backup.

Does anyone have experience with Tecma toilets? I'd hate to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

JIM KELLER
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
James, Is that toilet really called a Royal Flush ?

James
04-08-2010, 03:10 PM
James, Is that toilet really called a Royal Flush ?

Yep, the model is "Royal Flush". And mine certainly lives up to its name if you're talking quantity of water.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
James,

There are two adjustments to the water consumption on a Headhunter toilet.

The push button switch has a timing function that can be adjusted, and on my Headhunter toilet installation there is a valve that can adjust the bowl water level. I tried to download a link to a PDF file but the link would not work. I suspect Headhunter has a manual for the toilets that should be available.

Having said the above, the flush valve itself is a diaphragm type valve. If the small orfice within the diaphragm is occluded it will affect the ability of the flush cycle to stop. Extended flush cycles or even cycles that will not stop could also be the result of dirt or debris blocking the orfice in the flush valve. That is easy to service, only requiring the removal of six screws., cleaning any crud such as sediment, dirt or even minerals as the result of hard water.

Mark3101
04-08-2010, 03:30 PM
We have the Royal Flush and Headhunter pump and ours does not run that long. Maybe about half that much. I like it so far as it does a good job evacuating the contents of the bowl without multiple flushes.

James
04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Jon & Mark,

Thanks for the comments. The toilet does remove the contents with no problems, it's just the large quantity of water that we can't live with.

I have the manual and have cleaned the diaphragm several times. After the first cleaning it seemed to work ok and I was able to adjust the length of flush with the time delay module. This lasted for about a week and the toilet went back to very long flushes.

Since then additional diaphragm cleanings doesn't seem to make any difference and before I spend the 300+ dollars for a time delay module which may or may not be the problem I am considering replaceing the toilet.

jack14r
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I can adjust my flush time up or down,we dry camp sometimes 6-7 days and only have the tank 60% full at the end of the trip,during those trips I fill the fresh water tank each day and we are using the grey water by-pass.James,the timer must be bad.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm with Jack. Except for a need to clean the flush valve our flush time hasn't ever been an issue. If it will not hold the timing and the diaphragm is clean it has to be a defective timer.

James
04-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I can adjust my flush time up or down,we dry camp sometimes 6-7 days and only have the tank 60% full at the end of the trip,during those trips I fill the fresh water tank each day and we are using the grey water by-pass.James,the timer must be bad.

The timer could be the problem, however I've been messing with this one for months and the frustration level is such that the Headhunter is going to go and something else will take its place shortly. The Techma has been recommended by boat owners as well as being installed in other Prevosts. I was just wondering about the Techma toilets and if I would be trading one problem for another.

truk4u
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
James,

Why would you not consider the Microphor? I've had 3 of them, both 12v and air, they're very reliable and can be mounted in various configurations, direct drop to the tank or rear discharge. Their customer service is excellent.

James
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
James,

Why would you not consider the Microphor? I've had 3 of them, both 12v and air, they're very reliable and can be mounted in various configurations, direct drop to the tank or rear discharge. Their customer service is excellent.

I'll take a look.

billbunch47
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
James, I also have the Microphor 12 volt with air assist and the toliet works great and uses very little water. I just don't think you will be happy giveing up your Headhunter water pump for a 12 volt like they are talking about.

James
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
James, I also have the Microphor 12 volt with air assist and the toliet works great and uses very little water. I just don't think you will be happy giveing up your Headhunter water pump for a 12 volt like they are talking about.

I have a Grundfos MQ pump and it does work very well. The proposal it for two 12V pumps that either one or both operate depending on the demand.

Alek&Lucia
04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a Grundfos MQ pump and it does work very well. The proposal it for two 12V pumps that either one or both operate depending on the demand.

James,
Which Grundfos MQ do you have ? MQ3-45 or MQ3-35 ?

Alek

michaeldterry
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
James,

Ditto what Tom said! We had a perceived problem with our 14 year old Microphor recently (continuous flush cycling) and their customer service broke their back helping us get to the bottom of our issue. At the end of the day, my Microphor works perfectly again and it did not cost me a dime! on another note, my Microphor "evacuates" the bowl with no sweat, regardless of how hard Vita tries to plug it up! (And darlin', I love ya, but you plug toilets with more regularity than anyone I've ever known (including some huge men)! LOL! :o

Jon Wehrenberg
04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Michael,

Plan on sleeping in the bus tonight.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Coming from a Nurse's mouth...........You better sure hope, Michael, that she never has to wipe your...you know what!!! ;)

Sandy

James
04-09-2010, 03:16 PM
James,
Which Grundfos MQ do you have ? MQ3-45 or MQ3-35 ?

Alek

Alex,

I just went out and looked and I was mistaken. The pump that I have says G&L Pumps Model LB on the pump section and A.O. Smith Model C48C04A08 on the motor section. It's supposed to be a farm pump. Works very well and has better pressure than campground water.

Jay Becker
07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm a bit late to the thread, but FWIW I've had Tecma toilets on my full-time liveaboard boat for 6 years with no problems. I like that one button controls bowl fill when needed, and another the flush (with a bit of water). The time and therefore amount of water is adjustable as well. And no diaphragms.

James
07-07-2010, 10:24 AM
We went ahead and had the Tecma toilet installed along with two 12 volt water pumps.

Works great and no more long water wasteing flushes.