PDA

View Full Version : GUNS and SHOOTING

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I know there are a great number of gun enthusiasts in the group, so I thought you would probably be interested in this link, it is for an auction site that has consistently had fine examples of fire arms worthy of collecting. The auctions are absolute with no minimum bid.
Note the highly engraved 1958 Browning auto 22.

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=954722641

JIM

Charles Spera
04-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I know there are a great number of gun enthusiasts in the group, so I thought you would probably be interested in this link, it is for an auction site that has consistently had fine examples of fire arms worthy of collecting. The auctions are absolute with no minimum bid.
Note the highly engraved 1958 Browning auto 22.

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/

JIM

I have one of these, never realized is was so valuable. Just a varmint gun to me.

michaeldterry
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
For the first time in my life, I am a serious candidate for firearm acquisition. I have never fired a gun and frankly, am scared of them. However, due to continued subtle (and not so subtle) threats by Vita's sociopathic, abusive ex-husband (I don't use the term sociopath lightly), I feel the increasing need to be in a position to protect my family. All threats/intimidation are directed at Vita - the coward bastard won't mess with me, even though I'm physically unable to engage in a real confrontation. The police have been no help. Their position is that he must act on his threats before they can get involved. (In other words, somebody's got to be killed or injured before they deem it a serious threat). So - here's where I am; I want to choose a weapon that i can learn to use responsibly and properly with accredited traininig - and insist that Vita and my daughter also get trained. I want to obtain a Georgia carry permit so that I am completely legal. And I intend to keep the firearm secure, but readily accessible in my home. At this time, I have no plans to carry the gun in the bus - although the crazy bastard is obsessed with my bus and it infuriates him that i own it! He calls it my "million dollar bus" and tells everyone who will listen that I am secretly "rich"! (If he only knew the truth - that my sole source of income is Social Security Disability! Actually, he does know, but his mental illness won't allow him to accept that fact!)

So anyway - back to the topic of guns. What recommendations do you gun experts have for me as far as which weapons to consider for ease of use, stopping power, easy to learn, relative safety for the user, and reasonable cost? After months of inner debate and soul searching, I'm ready to make this move as soon as I can get licensed and acquire the right weapon for me and get trained. I can say with absolute certainty that I will have not have one iota of trouble pulling the trigger without second thought or remorse should my wife or daughter be in danger from an imminent threat.

I apologize for bringing this non-bus related topic onto our forums, but i can't think of any group of people that I trust more to advise me on the important and deadly serious matter!

ajducote
04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Michael,

Start at the beginning. Find a local gun range that has NRA certified instructors and take a basic gun safety class. Don't even think about buying a gun until you at least do that. After the safety class, start by renting different types of weapons at the gun range and get a feel for what you feel comfortable handling. Once you think you have the right weapon picked out, take the "Concealed carry" class with that weapon (a rented one if possible). After that if you still fell good about your choice, buy your 1st weapon. (It won't be the last!). Then take more training.
This is a serious life decision. Make sure you, your wife and daughter all agree on what you are doing. Get a gun safe to store the weapon and ammo in when you are not carrying it, or must leave it at home unattended. Which weapon to get is a very hard thing to tell someone else. Every peron and thier circumstances are different. Lot's to choose from, revolver, auto pistol, shotgun, may different calibers. Some people swear by shotguns as the "best" home defense gun, others would not have anything less then a 45 ACP and lots of ammo. Many other things in between.
Most important:
Safety
training
practice
knowledge
more training
Did I mention Safety?

Hope this helps a little. I do believe that we have a certified instructor who joined not to long ago. Maybe he will jump in with "real knowledge" to help out.

phorner
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Another good resource..

http://www.gunbroker.com/

phorner
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Micheal,

Andre made some excellent points. Safety of everyone concerned is of paramount importance. There is no such thing as accidental discharges.... only negligent discharges, which can have catastrophic consequences.

The decision to purchase and carry a firearm should be made only after a LOT of thought and soul-searching.

Please take the time and make the effort to fully avail yourself of NRA certified instruction as well as a good concealed carry course.

If you decide that carrying a firearm is right for you, I cannot over emphasize the importance of on-going training and range practice.

michaeldterry
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Andre and Paul, for the quick and considered responses! You can rest assured that I will follow your advice and not get "in a hurry" to get armed!

ajducote
04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Michael,

If you need something right away, consider pepper spray or a Taser type device, IF they are legal in your area.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I have guns. Until several years ago we never had a gun and I feel uncomfortable with guns. Bus ownership and then a telephone threat made the decision for us to arm ourselves.

Having said that I will do whatever it takes to avoid a confrontation or put myself in a position where I must put a gun in my hands. We have had several perceived threats while in the bus, and my response is to get in the driver's seat and move away from the threat. As much as I hate the thought, I realize if I feel threatened enough so my only alternative is to place a gun in my hands I am now prepared to use the gun. In fact, it is my understanding that if I feel that threatened I have to use the gun. For that reason I will exhaust ever single option available, including driving or running away from a threat.

My only advice is to make sure if you do get a gun you are prepared for the consequences, which may mean somebody is going to get hurt or die.

merle&louise
04-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Michael,

I would like to bring up a point on the selection of a gun. Andre has given some very good advice.
And I would also recommend a fire arms safety course and shooting lessons.

I feel that having a gun will only benefit you if you and your family members feel comfortable shooting it. If you buy a 44 Magnum it will stop a grizzly bear but after you shoot it one time at the firing range it will scare you so much that you won't be able to hit anything with it. Remember: no matter how powerful the weapon you have to hit the target that you are shooting at. Have you ever missed a duck shooting a shotgun? The police on average, only hit their target 13% of the time! If you know that the pistol is going to kick you will flinch and more than likely miss the target.

Try to pick a pistol that doesn't intimidate you. Your wife and daughter will be much more comfortable with a low caliber pistol and therefore will be more willing to "go out and practice with it". It doesn't do much good to have a gun if you are not acutely familiar with its operation. Too many people buy a gun and never practice shooting it. When the time comes to use it (and I pray it never does) you need to be confident and well trained.

I have a .22 pistol that I carry in my coach. I take it out to the firing range and practice loading, shooting, un-jambing the magazine, etc. The bullets are inexpensive & available so I do more practice shooting; therefore, if I ever have to use it I will be confident that I can handle it.

Hope this helps.:D

James
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
weapons to consider for ease of use, stopping power, easy to learn, relative safety for the user, and reasonable cost?

I like the 12 gage Mossburg. http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28&section=products

No permit needed and will fit nicely in the home, bus or car. You can't get much better stopping power than a 12 gage slug or buckshot.

mikedee
04-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I am doing a carbon fiber dust collection project for a military arms company in Gunison UT.
http://www.christensenarms.com/

Today I saw guns that were were full military special forces type. The one that caught my eye was a 270 calber hunting rifle that weight maybe 4 lb's. The barrel was turned from a solid pice of titanium. The ends were full size to fit the action and a trick looking recoil reducing muzzle. The 20" between the breech and the muzzle was turned paper thin and wrapped with 12 layers of carbon fiber tape and cloth, tape and cloth, to 12 layers. The action was a Remington 700 design with many parts replaced with titanium. The bolt was fluted to lighten, even the trigger as drilled to remove metal.

This was all installed and fitted into a carbon fiber stock with recoil damping foam injected into the stock cavity. Then hand finished to perfection. $4,195.00.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I have one of these, never realized is was so valuable. Just a varmint gun to me.

It's at $1010.00 now and should go for around $3000.00.

Take care of yours!

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Charles your old varmint gun deserves more respect;

Server time: Apr-13-2010, 21:21:51PM; EST
Description

Currently: 3810.00 USD First Bid: 20.00 USD
Time Left: COMPLETED # of Bids: 48 (bid history)
Started: 04/06/10 19:00:00
Ends: 04/13/10 19:06:00
(mail this auction to a friend)
High bid: speck514
(Watch this item)
(ask seller a question)

JIM:D