PDA

View Full Version : The fueling bath revisited

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Some time ago there was a discussion about taking a fuel bath on refueling. My idea without trying it would be to wire in parallel into the dash mounted fuel gage circuit, a second fuel gage either permanently or have a plugin unit that you carried out with you when refueling. NOW THATS REAL BLING or NOT
JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
09-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Or as an alternate, maybe the wizards that design these multi gazillion dollar coaches could come up with a fuel filler that won't puke on you.

My 87 did not puke on me. Ever.

I'll bet MCI fuel fillers do not puke on you.

I'll bet plywood palace fuel fillers do not puke on you.

How hard can it be?

Since Prevost has had this problem for a long time, we need to get them off the dime and make them do a recall at their expense. Since the great state of CA is loaded with environmentalists that are more anal than anyone on this site, maybe if they knew every Prevost pukes fuel, and damges the environment we could get them to educate Prevost by initiating some enforcement action.

Jerry Winchester
09-29-2006, 02:45 PM
The '92 baby Prevost doesn't puke either :)

garyde
09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I have not noticed on mine, I will check it out. I do know that in the manual it states not to attempt to top off, after the pump nozzle stops.
I had some problem with my Lexa until I stopped topping off.

Chris and Debbie Yates
09-29-2006, 10:44 PM
You are absolutely right,no top off = no bath. Trust me I learned this the hard way.

Chris.

Orren Zook
09-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm guessing that you are encountering that splash problem when you fuel at the truck island, most newer trucks have a 4 inch inlet as opposed to the 2 inch filler neck on your bus, so tank venting is not a problem for them with high volume pumps. Try opening the cap on the other side of the tank/bus or watch the pump dial and when you get within 20 gallons or so of full ratchet back a couple of notches on the nozzle - 10 gallons a minute is too much fuel without a way for the tank to vent.
You'd never have this problem at the RV island of a FlyingJ all you need is an hour to spare while you fill up!

dalej
09-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Mine must be the party animal, it pukes all the time. I just can’t lift the nozzle all the way or “watchout”! It doesn’t matter if its on one fourth or three fourths tank, it will puke. So I usually take longer inthe fuel line, but that is ok, since I like to check things out, older coaches need babied.

I think on my coach it might be because it has a auxiliary fuel tank (175 + 75) gallon and that might addto the issue. I’m so cautious of it now its second nature to back away when filling. Maybe its just the different pressure at the pumps that does it.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-30-2006, 08:54 AM
I'll take no prisoners in this debate. We are supposed to have commercial vehicles and as such I expect them to be filled at a commercial filling station like a truck stop, with the nozzle on its fastest setting. Why should I expect to use a half speed setting?

I have filled at the RV island (once) and at a convenience store (once), and it took so long it wasn't worth it.

I have tried filling both sides simultaneously, the drivers side only (that really pukes a lot), and the passenger side only (that pukes, but much less dramatically). On my other coach, about a minute before the nozzle shut itself off you could hear a gurgle in the filler pipe which got progressively louder. At that point you could see the foam disappear back down the pipe.

Now you hear the gurgle at the same instant about a pint of fuel shoots out the pipe. There is no way to even contemplate "topping off" because it seems an amount equal to what is coming from the nozzle comes out at you. My current practice is to never get closer than 3 feet to the side of the nozzle while it is pumping, and when it simultaneously pukes and shuts off I am done.

FWIW I have the standard 208 gallon tank and the optional 90 gallon auxiliary tank, so fortunately I don't have to fuel very much.

lewpopp
09-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I think the absence of JPJ is answered. He is researching the reasons the coach of yours is puking. At this very moment he is breaking croissants with the HNIC of Prevost. I know he will not give up until he has some super innovative top secret solutions for you "Puking Prevosts". Does PP stand for that or the "proud" studs?

Joe Cannarozzi
09-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Dale, our 86 does not have this problem and we have identical stuff?

Explain this someone:confused:

truk4u
09-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I have no puking, but I don't try to run the hose pipe wide assed open!;)
No what I mean...

Jerry Winchester
10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
125 gallons of $2.31 diesel pumped this morning with no puking or flowback. But it looks like there is a vent line plumbed into the filler neck about 3 inches back from the threaded end of the neck.

ken&ellen
10-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Since we travel most weekends our Liberty makes regular stops for fuel. Ellen fueled up at $2.29 per gal, should have waited it dropped down to $2.19 yesterday, 96 gallons ....not a drop. We always utilize truck stops with BIG nozzles! Ken

blacklab
10-02-2006, 08:46 PM
My '93 XL hasn't puked on me either. BTW are all the fuel fillers on the starboard side?

Jerry Winchester
10-02-2006, 09:33 PM
No, they are on both sides, but it was either an option or only came on certain coaches or tank configurations.

lewpopp
10-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Which reminds me. I pulled into Flying J to "diesel up" and there was a fancy truck outside my front door when I pulled up. I was covered with "love bugs" (nasty creatures, and hard to remove after they dry ) And happened to mention to the guy working on his rig that I would give him a great deal on Love bugs. His quick answer was " that I don't need, the company supplies them" I thought that was a neat answer.

Well anyways, I scrubbed the front of the coach this morn to remove the buggers. I tried that green shit that Jon washes his gonads with. He says it does everything. It worked good, as for my scrotum, I will use something else.

blacklab
10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Well, on my '93 XL the filler is on the starboard side, which means when at the pump you gotta turn the main pump on, set the nozzle on the ground go around and use the "2nd" pump to fill up. This is a major PITA!! My 1st coach (Blue Bird) had fillers on both sides. Now there's an idea!!

win42
10-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Jon: The obvious answer is sell the liberty and buy an old Royale. The money you save will allow you to hire someone to fuel and clean your coach.

The only time I get puked on is when the nozzle shuts off automatically and I pull it almost out and try to squeeze a few more ounces in. Dumb I know, but irresistable. Too bad they didn't supply brains with brawn.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I was at Camp Prevost in Nashville yesterday (drove over a brand new coach, not mine) and guess what Prevost owners talk about. Yup....coaches.

The topic of puking came up. Everybody I talked to has had a #2 bath.

It was not a problem on single side fill coaches. Those of you that have one of those may be unhappy because you have to go through a little dance with the nozzles, but at least you don't have to undress outside at the Flying J before your wife lets you back in the coach.

Coloradobus
10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Our 2001 Country Coach (1999 shell) did the puking thing. We had Mira Loma drop the tank, and install a wire basket that had a plastic ball in it. When the fuel reached the neck, the ball would intercede the splash back. That was done under warranty. With our current coach, I estimate what it will take fuel-wise, when it gets closer to that figure I back off the flow, look down the fill tube for foam. When I see foam, I stop it, let it breath, then add more following the same practice. It only pukes on me 2 times out of ten. Some pumps have a faster "slow flow" than others', and it takes me by surprise.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-03-2006, 03:11 PM
This is strictlyt an academic question, but is it possible peering down the fuel filler of a bus that pukes back at you 20% of the time might not be the best idea?

I do like the idea of the fix you described. It actually makes sense, and would prevent me from considering Harry's offer of his Royale.

Coloradobus
10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
I have quick reflexes:D :D :D and good hearing, if you listen you can hear it coming up at you!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-03-2006, 07:15 PM
On the one occasion I let my coach drown me, the sequence of events was as follows:

Fuel approaches the full point.

At the precise moment fuel reaches the full point, the flow divides, with less than 1% of the 10 GPM flow going into the tank, and more than 99% of the flow, immediately reversing itself, and flows upward through the filler neck at a velocity greater than the speed of sound.

Once fuel accelerates up the fill pipe, an invisible force urges me towards the nozzle, anticipating the tank is nearing the full point. The same force which impels me to step into the danger zone shuts down my hearing, so as the sound barrier is broken by the flowing fuel I have no knowledge danger is nanoseconds away.

At the exact time I lean forward to try to evaluate the tank level condition I am struck by a fuel spill slightly less than what might be contained by the average supertanker. Can you say Exxon Valdez?

As soon as my new jeans, my favorite Birkenstocks, and my wallet are totally soaked, and beyond redemption, the Flying J fuel nozzle decides to shut off further fuel flow.

My hearing is then restored, and the sound heard distinctly, is that of #2 dripping from me to the concrete surface, followed by an expletive. That occurs at the exact moment my reflexes tell me to jump back.

garyde
10-03-2006, 08:29 PM
On the one occasion I let my coach drown me, the sequence of events was as follows:

Fuel approaches the full point.

At the precise moment fuel reaches the full point, the flow divides, with less than 1% of the 10 GPM flow going into the tank, and more than 99% of the flow, immediately reversing itself, and flows upward through the filler neck at a velocity greater than the speed of sound.

Once fuel accelerates up the fill pipe, an invisible force urges me towards the nozzle, anticipating the tank is nearing the full point. The same force which impels me to step into the danger zone shuts down my hearing, so as the sound barrier is broken by the flowing fuel I have no knowledge danger is nanoseconds away.

At the exact time I lean forward to try to evaluate the tank level condition I am struck by a fuel spill slightly less than what might be contained by the average supertanker. Can you say Exxon Valdez?

As soon as my new jeans, my favorite Birkenstocks, and my wallet are totally soaked, and beyond redemption, the Flying J fuel nozzle decides to shut off further fuel flow.

My hearing is then restored, and the sound heard distinctly, is that of #2 dripping from me to the concrete surface, followed by an expletive. That occurs at the exact moment my reflexes tell me to jump back.

Sounds like you got a "handle on it'.

lewpopp
10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Coloradobus:

I can just hear Jon now after reading your comment on looking down the fill tube. Jeeze, would I like to hear his uncensored comments, but I'm sure the webmaster would block them.

I'm still laughing just picturing Jon standing outside the coach in his skivvies after one of the pukes.

Lew

Jerry Winchester
10-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Jon,

With your diminished senses, maybe you should turn to technology and a tactical plan rather than a strategic one.

Wear this. Don't Libertys come standard with them?

http://www.interstateproducts.com/ultra/tanker_tourniquet_-_installing_copy.jpg

Ben
10-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Tip: When you turn on the main pump, put the pump handle just under the lever you lifted to turn the pump on... lifting the lever creates a gap just big enough to hold the pump handle. That way you don't have to leave the handle on the ground when you go to pump from the other side of the coach.

lewpopp
10-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Where did you learn that Ben? Some of us are aware of that but is there an answer to the puking problem? Jon wants the answer NOW !!!

rfoster
10-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Okay Boys and Girls, I have been following the all knowing, full of knowledge, helpful A1 Jon, since my bling is so brite and shiney
And 62.5 mph don't get this, but 59 mph does, notice all the numbers243 -he don't get puked on as much as some. This aint mine, its Jons244

Jerry Winchester
10-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Well I thought I had a front row seat for some classic fuel puking this evening. Mike, Chris (who sounds amazingly like Austin Powers when taking on the CB) and I are at the Flying J just north of Oklahoma City. MM and I are next to each other at the truck fuel island when the Liberty Diesel Puke-o-Saurus nears full. Up walks the Flying J trash boy who is standing in the fuel puke Cone of Certainty emptying a trash can.

I can see it all happening in slow motion; Mango running for the fuel nozzle in slow motion followed by that deep voiced, slow NNNNNOOOOO as the dual filler Prevost takes another victim. But the guy, most likely distracted by the Blingster Royale next to him moves ahead as Mike shuts the fuel down mucho gallons early to avoid a major fuel spill.

Damn the luck.

Ben
10-09-2006, 03:40 AM
The solution to fuel puking is to buy a 40' coach that only has one filler. That's what I have and I can use the high flow filler and let your fill until the pump shuts me down without a drop spilled.

truk4u
10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Me to Ben, no Jon bath in my future.

grross
10-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Tom,
We solved the problem when we bought the coach from Mark. I have fueled from either side and both sides simultaneously without spilling a drop!!

lewpopp
10-10-2006, 09:33 PM
GR

Come on, don't keep it a secret. Are you holding out for more money? If you are, you're in the wrong crowd. Jon will give you some old marker lites for some information.

grross
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Lew, Tom knows my solution; we upgraded to an 05 XLII chassis

Joe Cannarozzi
10-12-2006, 06:14 AM
Well heck Lew, all ya gotta do is buy another bus. Piece a cake:rolleyes:

lewpopp
10-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I could make a ton of comments but I'll just say "No comment".

You just don't know how much that hurts to say that.:(

truk4u
10-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey GR, good to hear from you.. One way to solve that nasty fuel problem is move up like you did!:D GR came away from the Marathon Rally with a beautiful new XLII, it is the nicest one we have seen. You have to try to make one of these POG Rally's, it's a never ending fun time. Great weather out here in SF right now, the Poggers are having a great time. I'll e-mail you off line...