PDA

View Full Version : BUS GARAGE and SHOP

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I am gathering information and seek knowledgable help. In a drive through Bus garage space that is 20' X 60' in a building, what would be the proper placing of the utility connections on both sides of the Bus. Also what would the size, lengty, width, depth and location of a pit suitable for maintenance.
JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
09-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Awright...maybe we are going to have someone else take heat for having a pit.

My pit is 24" wide and 48" deep. It works great.

As far as utilities for the coach, I located the sewer and electric near where they are on the bus when the bus is parked in its normal location. The electric box is on the wall of the garage in the same area as the sewer. I have a utility sink near the back of the bus, so I use that for water to fill the bus.

In the pit I have air and electric outlets near where the ends of the coach will be when it is parked. In the center of the pit I have a sump that is emptied via a pump into an oil trap located outside the garage. I rely on a pump to drain the pit because in the event of an oil or fuel spill I do not want it automatically going outside to be dumped on the ground or down the municipal sewer or my septic system. I only have to drain the sump periodically, such as when I power wash the engine, or hose the garage floor.

Locate the pit so you have sufficient room on the sides to slide an axle out in case you want to replace a hub seal or work on bearings. I allowed 5' from the side of the coach to the garage wall.

MangoMike
09-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Please be advised if you own a 40' coach, that you have the foresight to build a garage/pit to easily accomodate a 45' if the need should every arise. Things/people do change.

MM

rfoster
09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Jon: Looks like you got enough oil on hand to change mine, yours and Mangos oil. When can we come over?

Jerry Winchester
09-29-2006, 02:54 PM
My pit is 24" wide and 48" deep. It works great.

Maybe for a midget.

My feet are almost that big :rolleyes:

Jon Wehrenberg
09-29-2006, 04:51 PM
That last post was from someone who has never stood in a pit.

For the uneducated (and that is folks that did their schooling in Indian territory) you want to be eyelevel with the top of your pumpkin because you have all your service in the wheel arches.

A tall guy like Mango needed his height and long arms to get at some of the fittings on his front axle. There are some things I have to do on a two step ladder because they are up so high they are out of reach.

The best way to size the pit is to go to a truckstop and drive on their pit, and then go down and see what it takes to reach the items you will service or repair.

garyde
09-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Here,s my two cents; The service centers I have built the
electrical systems have an exh. fan in the pit to keep out explosive fumes, which can settle in the lowest area of a garage. If you do not have this, at least have a fan at floor level to move air out of garage. If you are using electrical within the pit make certain the cord is heavy duty, and there is no open splices or loose fittings. Now, on commercial pits, they have built in lighting in the pits, and built in plugs, but they are explosion proof units if there is no exh. fan. Finally, the pits I have seen are about 6 foot deep with adjustable stands, and step stools in the pit.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Except for ole number 63, if a six foot deep pit is used all work will be done on a ladder, which kind of defeats the purpose of a pit. I like my feet flat on the floor and at the 4" depth I can do most work that way.

I cannot disagree with the benefits of an exhaust fan and explosion proof lighting, but OSHA rules while meritorious do not take into consideration that my exclusive use of diesel fuel in the vehicles that are over the pit makes those two features an unecessary expense. If I were servicing gasoline powered or propane equipped vehicles the expense would be justified.

Since everybody is different, the best way for Jim to approach the design of his pit is to do what I did and that is to find one or two, park his bus over them, and see how the height and width work for him. If he is two stories tall like the pirate, maybe six feet of depth will work.

I do want to point out that when you need to get leverage on a tool, or need to really push or pull something to loosen or move it your feet need to be on the ground. I have tried to do some heavy duty work sitting under the bus, and standing on my short step ladder and there is no way I can use all my energy like I can when my feet are on the floor.