PDA

View Full Version : Brake system for toad

Mark3101
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Ok, since I got so many quick, good replies to my query about the mud flaps, here goes on brake systems.

I see that there are a few to choose from. I am looking for something that works, is not hard to hook up/unhook, and must be proportional to the braking of the bus. I have no problem with having to hook up an air line if that is the best solution. I have read the threads about SMI and M&G and am a bit confused about how the actually get the job done without just locking up the brakes. What am I missing, and which is the best one to get based on the above.

Thanks....

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I used the Brakemaster. Quick and simple to install and quick and easy to put in the toad and remove from the toad when towing.

There are other air operated systems such as M&G that the owners also like. I opted for the Brakemaster because we tow two different vehicles and I have virtually no investment in switching from one vehicle to another with my braking system. The others are a more elaborate installation than the Brakemaster.

James
04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
We've been using the Brakemaster since Feb, 2007 for over 40,000 miles of towing and no problem unless you count the time I inadvertently smashed the pedal clamp, but that's another story.

jack14r
04-03-2010, 05:49 PM
The M&G is very easy to hook up-just plug in a air coupling.The M&G will only fit certain vehicles,I have it on a Chevrolet 4WD truck and a Saturn Vue.The important thing is to be within the law and all of these brake systems will do that.

nrhareiner
04-03-2010, 06:09 PM
No matter which of the systems you decide to use, the important parts are that it is air driven, proportional, and fits with your toad. Personally, for no particular reason we use the M&G system. I have used the system for over 6 years, and have used it on three different toads. I have not had any problems.

Kevin Erion
04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I use the Roadmaster for all the same reasons Jon does!

Neal&Carla
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
We have used Brakemaster in Jeep Grand Cherokee and Lincoln MKX with previous plastic coach and our Prevost. Easy to use. No problems. Has dash indicator light when towed brakes are on.
Neal

rahangman
04-04-2010, 02:55 AM
We just had the M&G system put on the coach and Toad in Paola KS. About a 3 hr job and we spent the night on his ELEC which allowed us to spend an night in small , quaint town with a couple of great places to eat and nice people. Good feeling to have a system that is simple and very efficient. Works well and is so easy and fool proof.

Yankee802
04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
In a vaguely related note, I have an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee for my toad, and have been told by numerous people that even though installing a brake system would be 'nice', but I don't really need it. Thoughts?

Will Garner
04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Yankee802,

Ah the dilemma between wants, needs and cheap advice. Most States require a breakaway system for toads (check with your State DMV for confirmation). That means you need a toad braking system to get the breakaway feature. If you are towing and the toad just happens to disconnect for some reason, and you don't have a breakaway system well no telling how bad the collateral damage could be from your not needing a system for your toad. The investigating officer won't want to hear about everyone that told you so many times you don't need a braking system. You as a responsible operator should really want to have a system. There are many systems out there so just bite the bullet and buy one.

Yes a Prevost will tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee without straining anything. Heck they will tow anything up to the load restriction on the hitch receiver. That's around 10,000 lbs. It will stop when pulling a toad but the rub is it will take a little longer distance to do so. That could be the difference between just seeing the crash in front of you or being a part of it!

Don't cheap out on brakes or tires (for both the Prevost and the toad). I have the SMI Air Force One since M&G doesn't make a unit for my toad (2003 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5,800 lbs). It has been trouble free for me and works well. It takes me about five minutes to hook up the toad or to unhook it. Quick, easy and simple to hook up.

That's my two cents worth.

Safe Travels!

LarryB
04-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Yankee 802, I can tell you, first hand, that those advising you, have never come close enough to hitting something that the reduced stopping distance provided by the Toad Braking System saved the day, I have, and it is important to have the added drag during a panic stop. Saved my "Plastic Shield" and my Butt. <G>.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Let's be honest. Our brakes suck. At 60 MPH the average car driven by a soccer mom can stop easily in 130 feet.

Your bus is going to take more than twice that distance. If you add a toad that weighs 3500 to 4000 pounds your stopping distance will increase beyond its already lousy capability.

The next time someone pulls in front of you too soon leaving very little margin, and then spikes the brakes ask yourself if you wish your toad had brakes to help.

pwf252
04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I also have the M&G brake system on our Jeep Wrangler. Seems to work well and easy to hook up. I would certainly recommend this system for anyone in need of Toad braking.

Sid Tuls
11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Just installed the M&G brake system today. It sure is a clean unit and simple to hook up and take off. I now have the peace of mind that I'm legal.