PDA

View Full Version : List Prices

redliteal
04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
I am in the early stages of finding my "dream coach" and have done considerable research and have narrowed down the make and manufacturer. In my effort to obtain approximate market values, I am frustrated that some Dealers/Brokers do not provide a "list" price for their coaches on their web sites. An example is the POG used coach site which lists many coaches for sale but few with a list price. Notably the large brokers do not advertise list prices....with the result that one must contact them to determine price (a marketing ploy??) I recognize the list price is not evidence of market value but at least it gives an indication of value. Why do the major brokers fail to show list prices on their web pages? Sorry for the rant.

Ray Davis
04-02-2010, 02:24 PM
When I was first looking this bothered me a bit too. But, I learned that the list prices are absolutely meaningless. Marathon, for example, seems to put list prices up that bear no relation to what the value of the coach is, or what they will accept for the coach. Others put up no list, and you need to be somewhat schooled in real values when you deal with them.

I think the best you can do it compare the sites that do list prices. California Coach Company (a POG sponsor) seems to price coaches fairly, rather than arbitrarily inflating prices. You can also get a guideline by looking at Prevost-Stuff, or Phil Cooper, although these are prices set by private owners and tend to be higher than real.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Allan, You have been confronted with the single biggest obstacle I have of ever wanting to trade coaches. Here is the object....A dealer wants you to call to find out the price. Then the price you are given ranges somewhere between our national debt, and the real worth of the coach. You in turn are then expected to counter offer.

Since the real market price is almost as difficult to find as peace in the middle east you have no clue as to whether your counter offer is reasonable or too high. Since nobody that buys a coach is willing to brag about the purchase price unless they stole it it becomes very difficult to determine a price that is fair to both parties.

You have clearly accomplished the hardest part of the job. You now know what you want. If you can prove yourself to be a serious buyer just start calling on every coach that meets your specification, but expect all prices quoted to be too high. You must look at the coaches that seem most reasonable because pictures do show the coaches better than they actually are and there is no substitue for seeing one in person, seeing the actual colors and not those reproduced from photos over the internet, smelling the coach, and generally getting a feel for it.

As long as people choose to post or ask unrealistic prices don't feel bad taking up their time negotiating. Play one seller against another, work them over as hard as they are going to work you. It will not be long before you know the market for your particular coach and what represents a fair purchase price.

BTW, this is strictly an opinion, but if you are looking for the absolute cheapest price, and not the best deal expect to take some serious money from your pocket after the sale fixing up that coach. The time to get stuff repaired is before a single dollar changes hands.

Woody
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
AMEN---------------

GDeen
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Allan - start with Steve Bennett at California Coach. Steve will shoot you straight about the market, the maufacturers and their pros and cons, etc. He may even have a bus that works for you. Steve is a great guy to work with and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Ken Robertson is another guy to check in with. Several folks in this group have purchased from Ken and been very happy with him.

garyde
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
If there were ever a buyers market, it's now. Make an offer discounted from what you see is the average price in the market for the Converter and work from there. Just make sure your willing to walk away if they won't negotiate close to your number. The dealer may not accept your offer but you will still be on their radar as a possible sale.
Its real tough to determine prices even with just one converter in one year. There are too many variables. Consider tires, Batteries, maintenace, up keep, mileage, records, and more. All of this adds or deducts. Then , all of the options, some being less important than others but they do have value.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Gary raises several good points and few first time buyers think about them. Recognize the purchase of a coach is not like checking a few boxes on a car order form and getting the car of your dreams, especially when you enter the used bus market.

There must be a eureka moment. When you and your wife walk in the door of a coach you both should have that sensation when you know this is to be your coach. If you don't really like it when you are buying it, you will either be trading soon, or spending some serious money to convert it to what you want. Here is what Gary said is critical. You may absolutely love the coach, but if it lacks a detailed service history assume it has not been properly maintained. If you think that is no big deal I have a very nice bridge in Brooklyn I trying to sell.

Then there are the thinks that have to be kept up to date and they cost serious money. Tires are for all practical purposes at the end of their life at six years from installation or 10 years from their build date. If you don't know how to check tire codes now is a good time to learn and put that at the top of the coach inspection list. Batteries have a 3 to 5 year life unless they have been abused and in that case their life may be less. They are not cheap.

Mileage on a coach is kind of dependent upon several factors. The best thing that can be done to a coach is to use it often, drive it regularly and maintain it properly. I would take a coach with 200,000 miles and good maintenance records showing a history of preventive maintenance any day over a coach that has been parked in Palm Springs for most of its life and shows 30,000 miles. With a million miles of good reliable life built into these coaches none of us are likely to wear one out unless we run it 80,000 miles or more per year.

Gary's comment about options having a value is on target. You as a buyer undoubtedly have a list of wants and needs. There are certain features that you may find vital for your coach. Since we don't know your desires all that can be said is that these coaches are not produced in high numbers and if on your list of needs are a couple of items not typically found on the coach you have selected then you must recognize you need to be willing to compromise on price or coach condition to get what you want, or risk not finding what you want. A good example is OTR. (Bus over the road heat and air conditioning)We have a few Marathon owners that have coaches with OTR. They are rare. For someone who wants a Marathon with OTR, that person will have to be prepared to jump at the first opportunity to get one, and take the good with the bad. On the other hand, if you want a Liberty with OTR you can be much more selective because almost every Liberty has OTR.