PDA

View Full Version : New from Phoenix, AZ

flloyd
03-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Howdy folks. My name is Fred and my wife, Robin and I are from Phoenix, AZ.

I've been looking at coaches for years and now, finally, it looks like I'm going to get one!

We're looking for a late 90's, early 00's Liberty or Marathon, XL series and literally can't wait
to head out on the road to start enjoying our semi-retirement.

About myself, I'm an ex-high tech veteran with 25 years in the computer business, with
all kinds of experience in everything electrical and mechanical, and yes, even software!

My wife is horrified by all of the technical complexity of a bus and I'm nothing short of
excited by it all. As a lifelong wrench-turner and fiddler, this is just the kind of thing that
interests me the most. I've owned a couple of cheap Class-A's in the past, and were
disappointed with each one, mostly due to their inferior systems, poor power, and bad
driving habits. All of these things have drawn me to Prevost, because I really want a
sophisticated machine that has the power and grace to go along with the beauty.

I drove big rigs in my youth, and in later years became a pilot and flight instructor. If
it has an engine, I'm generally interested in it, but only if I get to drive. This is going
to be FUN!

I'm also into Ham Radio and my website is the world's largest in the hobby. If there are
any other hams in the group, I'd like to meet you. Also, if there is anyone in the Phoenix
area who might be able to share some of their wisdom and advice, I'd be grateful.

My online bio is at http://www.qrz.com/db/aa7bq

Best wishes,

-fred

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the asylum Fred. You are now in the midst of gear heads, pilots, and bus owners. We will be able to answer all your questions, may even offer the right answer by accident from time to time, and when it comes to helping you buy a bus, remember our favorite thing is spending other people's money.

We have very little wisdom, but we never lack for advice.

hobobimmer
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Welcome Fred and Robin. From your initial post, I know you will love Prevost and POG! Hope you will attend the national rally in Kerrville, TX in October, so we get to meet you. Have fun in your search!
Deb, Eric, and Jay Faires
Huntsville, TN

Coloradobus
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Fred,, Glad to have you aboard. There are a few coaches out there, so you can pick an choose. A friend of ours is selling his 2001 Marathon H thru California Coach. It's a beautiful coach with some upgrades that come on a newer shell at less cost than new. I can't link it, but go www.californiacoachcompany.com and see 2001 Marathon Coach #726

Ray Davis
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Welcome Fred and Robin.

There have been a few other posts on our site regarding amateur radio operators. I found this post:

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?4171-CB-RANGE-MININUM/

which lists a number of us with amateur licenses. I wouldn't say we've got an active ham community, but anything is likely to happen. Hmm, maybe a seminar for POG9 in Kerrville?

Ray

HarborBus
03-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Welcome Fred and Robin, you will thoroughly enjoy a Prevost and you couldn't have come to a better place than POG to get answers/information.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the group Fred, it's nice to have another Ham aboard. You make number eleven of any that have shown their heads, there may be some lurkers.
You will like the guys and gals, we're like family. :D

JIM :)

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
-fred, don't limit yourself to any one converter when looking for your Dream, there are many fine examples of campers available.
Rather formulate a criteria for what you want in the broad sense such as, Length, Stainless Steel with rivets or Bonded, an H-3 with big bays, Slides or No Slides, OTR heat and air, interior design and decorating, to name a few.
Search in the forum reading as much as you can stand and ask questions.
Look at as many buses as you are able.

When you see your dream you will know it, the conversion name will not matter.

JIM:D

garyde
03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Welcome Fred and Robin. Your at the one and only site for Prevost and Conversion fun and information. I've heard it say that when you find the right Coach ,you will know it. Enjoy the hunt.

phorner
03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Welcome Fred! Enjoy the "shopping" experience. When you stumble upon "the one" you will likely know it immediately.

Not to open a firestorm of debate, but if I lived in Phoenix, one of my "must haves" in a bus would be factory OTR air conditioning. We enjoy traveling a lot in the southwest and have found our OTR air to be a necessity.

Jerry Winchester
03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Fred,

Welcome and don't pay attention to Brillo Boy. He'll have you in Country Coach hell faster than Trukman at a sheep buffet. But the most important thing is, what is your favorite Mexican food place in Phoenix? And yes it is a test, so reply accordingly.

JDUB

truk4u
03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Welcome Fred... Sheep are for company, not eating. Jdub turned down a mutton taco, so you know where he's coming from. Check out the Liberty's, might as well do it right the first time!:p

flloyd
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Fred,

Welcome and don't pay attention to Brillo Boy. He'll have you in Country Coach hell faster than Trukman at a sheep buffet. But the most important thing is, what is your favorite Mexican food place in Phoenix? And yes it is a test, so reply accordingly.

JDUB

Mexican food? There's so much to choose from. Arriba's is always good, as is Via Delosanto's. For everyday eating we go to Los Compadres because it's close to home.