PDA

View Full Version : Dates on tires

Sid Tuls
03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
It's time to put new tires on the bus,but here's my queston #1 can't find the thread that talk about this. #2 would I be looking for an date of 2010 on the tire? I have 365 on the front. I have about 70,000 on them and from what I've read you need to replace them when you approch the 5yr mark. My bus is 2006/2007 is the conversion year. I have put these miles on in the last 2.5 years so you can see that the tires arn't baking in the sun. Just want to be safe.

kenrobertson
03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Sid - If your tires are the original tires, and you have a 2006 shell, the tires are probably dated somewhere in 2005. The production date is molded into the sidewall, a couple of inches above the bead. The stamp begins with the letters DOT, and the important numbers are the last four. They are the week and year of production. For instance, 2205 would be a tire produced in the 22nd week of 2005. Unfortunately, the date stamp is only on one side of each tire, and quite often, the stamp is on the inside.

Ken

HarborBus
03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Sid, check the date code on your present tires, what you are looking for is a DOT code and will be the last 4 numbers ie: (3005) meaning the tires were manufactured in the 30th week of 2005. I wouldn't think that your tires need replacing at 5 years. This opinion is based upon the fact that you have put 70,000 miles on them in the last 2 1/2 years, tires like that. If the tread is good I wouldn't think it would be necessary to replace them. The rule seems to be 5 to 7 years, Michelin says up to 10 years but to watch them closely for cracks or any kind of weather checking both in the inside and out after 7 years. I'm sure allot of the brain trust will chime in on this for you.

garyde
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Sid. i just replaced mine on the front. They were stamped 4403. Which was the 44th week of 2003. So this last week being about the 11 th week of 2010, I had them for 6 years and 5 months.
Michelin says 7 years is still good so I wouldhave yours inspected prior to replacing. I inspected my old tires once they were off the rim. they still looked in great shape inside and out.

Sid Tuls
03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Gary did you find the best deal in Prevost Mira Loma and also did they have them in stock or do they sub them out? Also did you have your bus align at Prevost? Thanks for all the help from all.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Sid,

At two POG rallies we had tire presentations. One in Sevierville TN and one in Pahrump NV. One had a Goodyear rep and the other a Michelin rep. They both agreed on the following: At 6 years from date of installation monitor the tires for evidence of sidewall cracking. Michelin has a photographic chart that shows cracking that is acceptable and that which is not. The tires can be used beyond 6 years if the cracking is minimal or not in existance. At 6 years however they will offer no warranty.

At 10 years from date of manufacture (that is the date code) regardless of how long they have been in service they are to be taken from service. If the maximum age is to be reached, they recommend tire storage as they would be at a tire warehouse, which in our case would be to raise the tires off the floor when the bus is not in use. (Personally I think it would be more fun to just drive frequently, also an acceptable way of extending the life)

Some points they made. Constant use, such as on commercial trucks and buses is ideal because the flexing releases chemicals within the compounds that actually resist or prevent sidewall cracking. If the tire has been run with a tire pressure 20% below the required pressure based on weight it is considered unacceptable for service. If the tire has been punctured it must have a proper repair which consists of a plug and a patch on the inside of the tire.

phorner
03-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Sometimes it is difficult to find new tires with current date codes at smaller tire dealerships, especially if you need several of them. Often times the smaller tire dealers do not stock very many tires of the size we need as they have little demand for them and they are costly to have in inventory.

Most larger tire dealers will have current (2010) date coded tires. I had a flat tire last year in Arizona and the nearest tire shop that could handle the replacement had a new tire that was date coded 2008. Since this tire had never been used and was simply stored in the warehouse, it should still give me the same life expectancy.

I just recently purchased 5 more at my local dealership and all tires had 2010 date codes. The "old" tires were 2004 date coded.

garyde
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Gary did you find the best deal in Prevost Mira Loma and also did they have them in stock or do they sub them out? Also did you have your bus align at Prevost? Thanks for all the help from all.

Prevost put them on at Mira Loma. I watched him . The two tires were new with two different dates. One was 2009 and the other 2007. I decided to go with the 07 because it will still give me 5 to 6 years of service . The tire price before mounting was quoted at $664.00 before tax, etc. each. He also spun each wheel on their balancing machine and place small lead weights on the inside of the rims.
You can request newer dates but you may have to wait a week or two for them to arrive.

Sid Tuls
03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the responces it's great info. Thanks again