PDA

View Full Version : New Member TBC

rfoster
03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
:cool:Captain Mogul just got promoted to Colonel Mogul.

Ed and Sandy Brockman of Key West fame now have a new to them and us 45 foot Royal. Just got some pics over the phone.

Wow, what a nice bus. Big "A" TV. Outside grill- really "Blinged out".

More Pictures for the inmates please.

Congrats on the new coach - I know how excited you are and we are very happy for you.

You might even qualify for "King Mogul"!!!!

ajducote
03-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Roger,

If the pictures are on your phone, why are they not on here yet? Lets' see it so we can all see what they have.

Ed and Sandy,, congratulations! I know you have been looking for a 45 fotot. Looks like things finally worked out.

We need details!

Pete
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Makes me feel good just to have friends with a new bus! Congrats, now let us see some pictures.

bonhall41
03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
How come the rest of us haven't seen the photos yet????? Glad you made the trip safely and I'm sure you're extremely excited. Hope it was better than you remembered.
Bonnie

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Ed and Sandy, sure is a beautiful coach, thanks for the pictures. Post more for all to see:cool:

JIM:)

MangoMike
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Congrats!

...and welcome to the Club.

mm

michaeldterry
03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Where are the pictures of Ed & Sandy's awesome new bus? "Inquiring eyes want to see!" :D

merle&louise
03-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Congratualtions Ed and Sandy - now you have room for the bass fiddle!

We're happy for you - hope you can get out of the TBC soon.

Can't wait to see it

phorner
03-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Congratulations Ed and Sandy!!

We're looking forward to seeing your new bus.....

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Ed and Sandy,

Enjoy that new ride! Now that you are members of a rather exclusive club are you attempting to get out of it or are you going to hang in there like Mango with a bus on each coast?

hobobimmer
03-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Ed and Sandy:

Congratulations on new bus. Very cool. We look forward to seeing pictures or in person soon.

Eric and Debbie Faires
Huntsville, TN

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi guys. Spent the last two weeks working, installing a stack washer and dryer (fulfilled promise) in the process discovered some electrical issues that could have proved deadly. In running the 10-4 wire for the dryer I discovered the ground buss bar floating in the main A/C panel, meaning not bonded!!! Second issue was in the shore power cord box. My only desire for a 45' was a power cord reel, dont believe me ask Sandy. Well my joy was short lived as the cord was only 15' long, some one left home plugged in I guess. Next shock was yesterday looking things over for a trip to see Sandy mom, I found some hack electrician had simply cut the cord inside the storage box and spliced the 15' cord using wire nuts. Kind of scary as it should have been in a junction box with split bolts, which i finished this morning. I need suggestions on the prefered length for the shore cord. I only expect one answer to this question as I know there is only one proper length for the PREVOST. Note new fan not for the faint of heart. New bass place not finished.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Ed,

Shouldn't the question's answer lie with the cord reel capacity? I have never measured my power cord, but I would presume the size of the cord storage area is the controlling dimension that dictates cord length.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Good thought Jon, when we get to Dothan AL. I will see how much water hose I can stuff in there, think I carry about 150'

phorner
05-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Ed,

When my shore cord was replaced by Liberty, the new one measured just under 70', which was about 10' longer than the old one. The Glendining reel had no problems.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-03-2010, 09:48 PM
http://www.glendinningprods.com/contact.html

JIM

garyde
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Regarding your grounding of the panel, did you do a jumper to the nuetral or simply bond the ground bar to the panel can? Typically the ground would remain seperate from the nuetral. Where the shore cord comes into your transfer switch the ground wire should be grounded there to a terminal which connects all of the grounds together as well. So when you connect your cord to a shore recepticle, the ground will be attached to the earth ground at the breaker panel.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Ed,

Gary has advice that must be observed. An improperly grounded bus may never appear to give you a problem, but at some point if you ever touch the skin of the bus and something metal that is grounded such as another RV or a post you may find yourself part of an electrical circuit.

To the best of my knowledge RV's with 4 wire 50 amp service do not bond the neutral and ground even though this is a common practice in a lot of residential electrical boxes. We supply power outlets with provision for bonding the neutral and ground but always ship them unbonded.

phorner
05-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Ed,

Jon make a VERY important point. We had some electrical work done on our power pedestal her at Outdoor Resorts that added a couple of circuits. The licensed electrician explained that it was very important to recognize that in RV applications, the neutral and ground buss bars are separated, and NOT combined as in typical residential wiring.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks Paul, do you ever use 70', I was thinking more like 40-50'. I've time to think as I carry 60' extension cord. I could have been more clear on the A/C panel. Never bond neutral to ground, it should be isolated-insulated from box-ground. In my case the ground bonding bar had been taken loose and never put back.

phorner
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Ed,

I've never needed the entire length of my cord. I would guess that 50' should be more than enough, especially if you carry an extension. I guess a lot depends on where your cord exits the bus. Mine is about centered, so I need 20' or more just to get to the end of the bus.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-05-2010, 07:23 AM
While a long cord length can sometimes be convenient there is a downside. The longer it is the greater the voltage drop. When we are in campgrounds with poor electric service a volt of two sometimes makes the difference between the AC running or not.

But my biggest concern is the cord not used is usually left in the bin coiled up, and if the current draw of the coach is high the cord can get hot and there is a potential for fire. When I anticipate a high power draw I uncoil my entire power cord even if the power outlet is right next to the cord reel.

jack14r
05-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Ed/Jon,I have a question about neutrals and grounds,there are 3 places that I go to events each year,all 3 have electrical boxes(square D,GE)that do not have the interior breaker covers but only the outer cover,these places expect the customers to snap in a breaker and hook up the ground and the neutral,which I do.By now I am sure that we are all thinking the same thing,how much insurance must the people have.I have seen on one occasion a box that had the ground and neutral connected together,I did not hook up to that box.My question is,what could happen if one did hook up to it and should I always check with an ohm meter neutral and ground.

Kevin Erion
05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I am no electrician but I think your bus won't let the power pass thru the auto switch.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Actually local codes generally dictate if the ground and neutral are to be bonded, or joined together.

I have power outlets in my garage for the bus and my local code is one that requires the two be bonded. I did not bond the two at the power outlet, but I may just as well have because 30 feet away in my circuit breaker box the two are bonded. I would feel more comfortable it they were separate, but even the UL standard to which the products are certified has provision for bonding the ground and neutral.

phorner
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Jon,

I am guessing that in the situation such as you describe with outlets in your bus barn, if the neutral and ground were not bonded at the circuit breaker box, that GFCI protection on outlets in the barn wouldn't work? Could it be that local building codes require the bonding in order to afford GFCI protection?

garyde
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
This is per our local, state and Natonal codes.
On all seperate buildings nuetrals and grounds are connected together at the main service panel. Sub panels in the same building are not, they are kept seperate. The short circuit ratings of the breakers are designed to trip when encountering a short to ground and /or to nuetral. The devices and fixtures down stream from the breaker panels are desinged to have a ground wire seperately attached to metal enclosures so they are fully grounded. ie; stoves, dishwashers, hand held applicances or equipment.
The nuetral serves as a pathway for the power to return to ground to complete a circuit. This nuetral goes back ultimately to the main service and then to a utility transformer. The nuetral and the ground at the main service are grounded together to give a good ground reference for the main breaker on the panel for short circuit protection.
A pedestal could be considered a seperate service in which case the nuetral and the ground would be connected together.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Paul,

I cannot tell you if the codes are written that way due to GFCI.

I don't think any of our coaches, with the exception of Thompson Coaches can connect to a 20 AMP GFCI circuit because we will trip the GFCI.

Thompson has a unique logic to the electrical system and transfer switch so his coaches can connect.