PDA

View Full Version : Headhunter waterpump plus aux sur flo 5.7 extreme waterpump

bill lambrecht
03-26-2010, 07:14 PM
My 99 vogue xlv coach#1094 has headhunter water pump system.It also has a sur flo extreme pump in the system.I have never heard the aux pump activate.Dont know how to turn on or off.Wonder what reason pump is there for.Anybody got one on their bus? thanks BILL LAMBRECHT

Jon Wehrenberg
03-27-2010, 06:16 AM
I cannot answer the question specifically because I am not that familiar with Vogue or how your pumps were set up to run, but typically the second pump is back-up. Try shutting off the Headhunter and see if the Shurflow will kick on when the pressure drops.

Since you have the two pumps you certainly want to make sure they are both functioning. Don't forget, you can always give Parliament a call.

merle&louise
03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Bill,

I have an auxillary water pump as a back to my Headhunter. It is controlled by a switch over the microwave. If the Headhunter fails, just flip the on/off switch and bleed the air out of the lines by opening a water spigot closest to the pump. A backup water pump is a nice feature. Especially when you are taking a shower and the Headhunter quits!

sawdust_128
03-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Alek is the expert here!!

bill lambrecht
03-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks TUGA,I will look for the switch. BILL LAMBRECHT

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Newell and Vogue may have similar components, but I suspect they may have different philosophies regarding switches, placement and even if they have a switch beyond a circuit breaker. Step one is to determine the voltages of each pump.

Headhunters are usually 120VAC and Shurflo are usually 12 or 24VDC. Look in the 120V panel for the Headhunter switch if none can be found in the kitchen for example, and I have no clue as to where to look for the Shurflo switch. But there is likely to be some way of killing power to the pump.

gmcbuffalo
03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
What is the reason these Headhunter pumps have backups, are they troublesome pumps. How may coaches have backup water pumps? I have two 12v RV pumps in parallel but they come on at the sametime. I always assumed that they were to increase flow.
Greg

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2010, 04:09 PM
We could get into a big debate about water pumps, reliability and backups. At one time on older coaches I think most converters used a pair of Shurflo type pumps. I don't know if they ran simultaneously or if they were set up independently, but that was typical back when I had my 87. At that time Liberty seemed to be alone in their use of a big DC motor powered water pump. It was like something out of an industrial application, but it sure worked well.

I don't know when the shift began, but the converters and their customers began looking at the Shurflo type pump as an RV thing, cerainly not fit for a Gazillion dollar Prevost conversion. I think Headhunter pumps became the standard. I have a 97 Liberty and it still has a big industrial looking pump. However, stuff fails so I installed a Shurflo type pump as backup. I occasionally run the little pump to make sure it still works, but most of the time I leave it turned off.

I don't know if converters install back up pumps or not but when the Shurflo were installed failures happened but since everybody knew they were just a typical RV pump and they were cheap the just went down to the Camping World store and bought two, one to install and one to stick in the bay for when the next one quit.

With Headhunter pumps I have heard of failures, more than I think I should have heard about due to the cost of them, and I don't know if that is normal or if it just appears to be a problem. I suspect anyone that has one fail will install a back up if they do not already have one. In the meantime I'm loving my big, white ugly water pump that just keeps on working.

truk4u
03-28-2010, 08:07 PM
This is the big white ugly pump Jon is talking about and there is no comparison to the Shurflo's. The Shurflo's will give you anywhere between 2.0 and 5.7 GPM depending on pump model, but the big ugly white 12v Paragon gives you 11.0 GPM. Of course it was standard with Liberty!:p

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2010, 06:59 AM
That pump is not pretty and it is loud, but it is as reliable as an anvil.

dmatz
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
My head hunter pump also has a back up with a switch in the same bay as the pumps. It is also a back up. When I turned it on last year it did not work. I believe it was lack of use . I now operate it every few months.

gmcbuffalo
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
I think I understand the need for a back up and that is because the pump is 120volt and Buses, RVs, cars and boats really revolve around the 12 and 24 volt world as a primary electric source. The cost of a Headhunter looks like it's just over a $1000, you can get a shallow well pump for under $300. I would like to find a 12 volt one at a reasonable price.
Greg

bill lambrecht
06-15-2011, 03:40 PM
12Bad heart forces me to sell my 1999 FEATHERLITE VOGUE XLV 45.Bus is loaded.Includes OTR AC,4 roof AC and automatic awning.Has 124k mi.Price is 162500.00 OBO.I am BILL LAMBRECHT at 405 224 7010 in CHICKASHA,OK. THANKS BILL