PDA

View Full Version : Williams, AZ to Durango, CO then Colorado Springs

ajducote
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I have read a lot of old threads on some of these roads, but thought I would ask for up to date info.

In late July to early August we will be leaving Williams, AZ to got to Durango, Co. Looking at the map I have picked this route and wonder if it is an OK road for the bus.

I 40 east to Flagstaff
North out of Flagstaff on 89.
Then 160 up to Cortez then over to Durango
Then after the Durango stopover
160 from Durango over to I25 at Walensberg.
Then North on I25 to Colorado Springs.

Anything with this route I need to worry about?

Thanks

Coloradobus
03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Andre, Nothing to worry except take it slow up Wolf Creek Pass. Also, if you plan on stopping at Four Corners Monument, be sure of the time, for the Reservation time on the clock if differnt. La Veta Pass on 160 to Wlasenberg is gradual compared to Wolf creek, no issue. We have done them both with a bus w/series 60 towing a 6000lbs chevy truck with the bus, and the 1984 airstream 27ft classic motorhome equipped with 454 that had the wrong fan belts on, long story, and we did fine.

truk4u
03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Andre,

The Bus Boy's are the CO experts for sure. I did I-25 to Durango on 160 many years ago with a plastic piece of crap Gulfstream Diesel Pusher and almost ended up in the weeds. No jake or exhaust brake, had to unhook the jeep and Nancy drove it to the bottom. I had to pull over half way down and cool the overheated brakes and cracked 2 rotors in the process. It was very difficult not to over speed the engine, even in 1st and 2nd gear. I was west bound, so that may be worse at Wolf Creek Pass

Would I do it with the bus? You bet, just go slow.

ajducote
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Jim, Chris and Tom,

Thanks for the info. This makes our summer plans almost complete.

Coloradobus
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
There is some ongoing construction on the eastside of Wolf Creek Pass, but nothing to major, just alot of dust to drive over. OTR, off. Colorado has been improving the Pass over the years. The westside going up or down is a very nice road, but heading east, you need to watch your water temp. The pull is a radiator cooker. We did in the "H" in2nd gear, and in the Airstream in first.(454 GM motor)
Going down the eastside, just sit back in 2nd with the Jake and enjoy the view.
If your make to Denver, let us know, we have 50 amp and water avaibable. Several Poggers have stopped.
Most recently, sans coach, was RHangman, Roger and I had a great afternoon visiting, and yes he got the Airstream Family Tour.

Ray Davis
03-26-2010, 07:04 PM
We are definitely hoping to get out to Denver this late summer, early fall. Say, what happened? We didn't hear from you when you were out here around Feb 25th?

charlesebrownjr
03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Wolf Creek is a real _itch. 160 is mighty winding and when you get bhind slow moving traffice, it really takes a lot of time. I 40 all the way to Santa Fe then 25 to Colorado Springs is probably faster if you are intrested in getting there quick. 755 miles.

Roadpilot
03-27-2010, 08:58 AM
We took 160 over Wolf Creek Pass last May. It's a beautiful drive. The wife drove the truck with the Harley in the back and we reconnected to the east. In hindsight, I wouldn't disconnect again. It's not a bad road and has some of the most beautiful scenery around.

Larry W
03-27-2010, 10:30 PM
We have drove all the roads on your list in our bus. You won't have any problems. Wolf Creek does have some 8% grade on the west side but its not a big deal if one takes it easy. US 160 from the Colorado border to Cortez is a rough road but not very long. Some of the Indains on the reservation seem to like to poke along or pull out in front of a big bus.

rahangman
03-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Jim is right (of course) on all counts of the Colorado Routes. Yup, we spent a very nice (and informative) afternoon visiting last week. They are very gracious hosts and are rightly proud of their collections ..... Airstreams not withstanding. The auto/truck collection is pretty outstanding also. Good people. Enjoy Colorado, we just spent 5 weeks there, both at Monument and down in Denver at Cherry Creek State Park.