PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Bed Lift: how much mattress weight can it handle?

hobobimmer
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Good afternoon from Huntsville, TN:

Deb and I are considering putting TempurPedic mattress on bed. It is a pretty heavy mattress, although I'm not sure exact weight. We have 2003 Liberty, with automatic bed lift. Do any of you know if the air lifts are strong enough to support the weight of a TempurPedic mattress? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

GDeen
03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Interesting question Eric - Jennifer wants a new mattress for our bus after our recent 9 night trip. I like it, she thinks it is too firm.

Ours is air lift - is the Liberty air or mechanical?

Kenneth Brewer
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Should be. The lift action will be slightly delayed until the pressure increases to the point where the bed is raised. We've left 'stuff', such as suitcases, clothes, etc., left the lights off in the bedroom at night, and (the other person) had to go in the storage area underneath for something, hit the switch (button) without looking, and regretted it.

Woody
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Google memory foam - you will find that a 3" memory foam topper gives the same results at half the weight and a quarter the price - we have one on our bus and had one on our Vogue before.

For what it's worth, on those cold Maine nights, we have one at home.

Great nights sleep.

phorner
03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
We put a standard, residential, queen sized mattress in the bus when we purchased it, and it is HEAVY!! Much heavier than the one we removed.

That being said, the bed lift works fine. As mentioned before, the mattress might lift a tad slower, but it's hard to say because it's not much different at all.

jack14r
03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I have a TempurPedic California King and the bed lift works great,I also have a new Queen TempurPedic at Liberty that I would like to sell for 1/2 price.

phorner
03-24-2010, 06:04 PM
If Eric and Deb pass, we might be interested....

michaeldterry
03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a TempurPedic California King and the bed lift works great,I also have a new Queen TempurPedic at Liberty that I would like to sell for 1/2 price.

If Eric and Deb, and then Paul all pass, I'm interested!

Ray Davis
03-24-2010, 07:07 PM
If I remember correctly JDUB indicated they had put a TempurPedic mattress in their coach ...

Trendycat
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
We have a Queen TempurPedic in our bus and it's great. However, we do not have an air lift :( and the existing manual gas struts aren't strong enough to even begin to hold it up.

I suppose the positive aspect is that I'll soon be able to out-lift the Governator if I have to keep getting things from under the bed. :D

hobobimmer
03-24-2010, 08:50 PM
If Eric and Deb pass, we might be interested....

Jack,
Thanks for the offer, but we already have one we can use. Paul, you're up, and you are even close to Liberty.
Eric and Deb

James
03-24-2010, 11:06 PM
We have a Queen TempurPedic and while the bed lifts will eventually get it up I always assist the bed to rise. Once up it stays there just fine.

sawdust_128
03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
My bed lift has it's own regulator. If you have one, you might make an adjustment?

Steve Bennett
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Eric, the lifts should work fine. Sometimes you need to relocate the upper attachment point. If you move the upper attachment forward (towards the end that lifts) it will have more leverage if you do not have enough air pressure.

hobobimmer
03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you to all for the replies. I guess we're good to go (except for the mattress IN/OUT of the bus part), or might have to manually assist a bit if the air pressure not high enough, or maybe relocate the upper attachment forward, but we won't be the first to have gone this route. Thank you all for answers and input.

Eric and Debbie Faires
Huntsville, TN

Jamie Bradford
03-26-2010, 01:49 PM
With you two on it or not??

hobobimmer
03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
With you two on it or not??

Not with us on it, Jamie. We like to surprise other people, though. We think it's fun to put visitors on the bed, then press the "Bed Lift" button and sling them into the back closet area. Deb and I get a big kick out of that. The look on the faces of the people we've done that to are priceless. We cracked one of the closet mirrors doing that, though, so we don't do it anymore.

truk4u
03-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Must be a TN thing... Eric & Dep are worried about a new mattress being to heavy for the bed lift, yet they are catapulting people off the bed!:D

garyde
03-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Bed lifts remind me of the Munster Family. Can someone tell me what is the main difference in mattresses and the Tempurpedic.

hobobimmer
03-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Gary,

The Tempurpedic is a whole lot heavier than a regular mattress. I don't know the exact weight, but it is a beast.

It is also the most comfortable mattress one could ever have. Of course, that is my opinion. Also, for those who might not know this, there is a company called Bragada. They make a mattress of the same composition as the Tempurpedic, but at about 1/2 the price. We have both an original Tempurpedic and a Bragada. In fact, years ago we placed a Bragada on our vacation home bed, and we slept on a Tempurpedic at our house. When we moved full time into our vacation home, we didn't bother switching the mattress, because they are very heavy and we are lazy, like Jon says he is.:) It has been 31/2 years and we still haven't swapped them.

If you choose to try a Bragada, consider the environmentally friendly version. That was not an option when we bought ours, and that type of mattress has a chemical odor for a while when it is new. It goes away, but it is something you notice with both the Tempurpedic and the Bragada, but maybe worse with the Bragada. I assume they tried to eliminate that when they started making the new environmentally friendly version.

That was probably too much bed info for everyone, but for those who don't want to pay the price of a Tempurpedic, we have been very happy with our Bragada. We would buy another one if we had the need. Plus, it takes this thread back to serious tone after Jamie hijacked it with his earlier post. :)

FYI, I just read where they are on sale until March 31. You buy them online and they ship them to your house for free, I believe. bragada.com is the link for inquiring minds who want to know.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Bed lifts remind me of the Munster Family. Can someone tell me what is the main difference in mattresses and the Tempurpedic.

Gary, they say Talk To A Man That Has One, :D I was trying to tell a guy about the attributes of the mattress and how you could place a glass of water in the place next to you and it wouldn't spill when you moved. He said OH!, you mean someone could be having se. next to you when your sleeping and you wouldn't even know. :eek:

Hey on a serious note, some personal opinion of the mattress, it is too hot for some (it retains body heat), it is difficult to move around on it (relearn how to sleep with it), it is hypoallergenic :) (sorry for the big word).

Some like it and some don't, if you can try one before you buy.

JIM:)