PDA

View Full Version : RAGBRAI 2010 Anyone?

dsaylrn
03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
My husband, son and I plan to ride our bikes across Iowa (ragbrai.org) this summer....any other POGs thinking about making the trek? My hubbys brother is going to drive our coach as a support vehicle....if there are any other biking enthusiasts out there - lets chat!
Debbie:cool:

rbeecher
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
What are the dates this year? I'm sure there is a website but is it going East to West or the opposite?
Brothers, friends and I did the ride many times, 10 years straight for me and then I moved to Florida. Of course in Florida we can ride all year so we don't need one big long week of riding to catch up with the warm weather riders...

It would be a long shot for me to go this year. Do they have such a huge crowd that entering by lottery is still used?

Richard & Barbara Beecher
02 Marathon XLII 45
10 Mini Cooper S

MangoMike
03-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I would love to give this a try. Do you think JDUB would do a tandem w/ me?

Let us know the dates, and have they outlined the route yet? I understand they try to keep it secret as long as possible.

Mike

dsaylrn
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
It starts a little late this year, July 25th and goes west to east from Sioux City to Dubuque.
The route was just published and is supposed to be one of the flatest ever....which is good for me because I am pretty new at this.
You can check it out on ragbrai.com
There is still a lottery - my son is on a team so we are pretty much assured of getting in.....
We lived in south Florida for years....what part of FL are you in? You are right about bike trails down there - although the West Orange Trail was pretty cold a lot of this winter....
Debbie

dsaylrn
03-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Mike what does JDUB mean?
The route is on the website ragbrai.com and it starts on 7/25
Thanks
Debbie

rfoster
03-24-2010, 10:11 PM
This is gonna be fun.

"What does Jdub mean?"

I wanna see this answer.

bonhall41
03-25-2010, 12:30 AM
I can't believe nobody has chimed in on this one but maybe they're all holding back since it's JDUB's birthday today.

truk4u
03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
JDUB means Jack Dub Up Bigtime! Mango and Jdub on a tandem bike, now there is a picture... Didn't know they made tandem bikes with air bags and outriggers.

MangoMike
03-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Mike what does JDUB mean?
The route is on the website ragbrai.com and it starts on 7/25
Thanks
Debbie

This is a JDUB. (the one on the right)

BIRTHDAY ALERT: Truckman!

Richard Barnes
03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I came by your Alexandria location last night but it appears you were posting messages on POG at the same time. Sorry I missed you but the service was excellent and the crabcakes and mashers and the gumbo were outstanding.

This is a JDUB. (the one on the right)

BIRTHDAY ALERT: Truckman!

MangoMike
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Richard,

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T LET ME KNOW!!!!!

I just live right up the street and was in Mango's until 7pm. ( I hide in the office to dissuade the autograph seekers).

It's mandatory that any POGgers in the area alert me so we can do dinner at Mango Mike's. Mike@MangoMikes.com

PS. Thanks for the business.

Mike

Richard Barnes
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
It was a last minute decision. I was in an arbitration case in Old Town all day and actually didn't think I'd have time for dinner between the meeting and my flight. Sorry I didn't ask for you but I looked around the bar and restaurant and didn't see you. I thought you might be taking the evening off. I'll let you know next time I'm in the DC area and we'll do it again.

Richard,

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T LET ME KNOW!!!!!

I just live right up the street and was in Mango's until 7pm. ( I hide in the office to dissuade the autograph seekers).

It's mandatory that any POGgers in the area alert me so we can do dinner at Mango Mike's. Mike@MangoMikes.com

PS. Thanks for the business.

Mike

rbeecher
03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Mango, for most, this bike ride is NOT a big party. The real riders get up at 9 or 10 (a.m.) and are the last to leave after all the tourists have hit the road, usually before sun up, so they can get in before dark. The real riders do 25+, but if the route is more flat speeds will be up to 27+. They are in large groups and trade off riding at the front of pace line so as to keep the speed very high. When passing the tourists they usually yell "on your right" so some silly tourist doesn't suddenly move left and take the long pace line out in a single move. Don't get any bright ideas from these secrets I'm telling you here...The goal is to leave as late as possible,beat everyone in to the campsite and THEN party. The tourists tend to party on the route each day to keep their minds off the blistering heat or chilling rain. Sometimes the tourists become dillusionary from the shear weight on their shoulders due to the task at hand. They do not sleep well at night, not because they stay up and party but rather, they can't bear the thought of sitting on a skinny bike seat for 40-100 miles for yet another
day. I think you guys should do this, I'm sure you should.

Lance

I would love to give this a try. Do you think JDUB would do a tandem w/ me?

Let us know the dates, and have they outlined the route yet? I understand they try to keep it secret as long as possible.

Mike

rbeecher
03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I've lived in Miami then Ft Lauderdale since the early 80's. I haven't ridden in six months but start again this weekend. I am going to sign up to see if I can get in unless you can help? When you say your son is on a team, do you mean race team? I need a bus driver if anyone is available. Have you done this ride before?

Richard & Barbara Beecher
02 Marathon XLII 45
10 Mini Cooper S
It starts a little late this year, July 25th and goes west to east from Sioux City to Dubuque.
The route was just published and is supposed to be one of the flatest ever....which is good for me because I am pretty new at this.
You can check it out on ragbrai.com
There is still a lottery - my son is on a team so we are pretty much assured of getting in.....
We lived in south Florida for years....what part of FL are you in? You are right about bike trails down there - although the West Orange Trail was pretty cold a lot of this winter....
Debbie

henryhighwood
03-27-2010, 09:27 PM
JDUB means Jack Dub Up Bigtime! Mango and Jdub on a tandem bike, now there is a picture... Didn't know they made tandem bikes with air bags and outriggers.

I thought they rode the Ragbrai last year.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5unMlXg6WL4

MangoMike
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Ted,

...that's what I'm talkin' about.

Now I can watch out back for Trukman.

rickdesilva
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Do they make a Tandem with Wide Oval Tires?

sticks
06-22-2010, 09:57 PM
This is a late post but fortunately you're taking the coach to sleep in. I've been and it's great fun. The biking is a cinch no matter what the course is, but getting any sleep at night in the campgrounds is the real challenge. just about the time the noisy partying stops ( at 4:30 AM ) the avid bikers are getting up at 5:30 AM to start their day! Sleep in the bus!! turn on some white noise and enjoy!
!