PDA

View Full Version : Alignment

HarborBus
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
My coach was last aligned in Oct 2005. The steering wheel sits at 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Tires are fine and wear evenly. Does anyone know how often alignment should be preformed? Or what other reason the steering wheel would not be straight.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
If you had an alignment problem running your hands across and around the tires would allow you to feel evidence of mis-alignment assuming you do not feel it already in the steering wheel.

If all is OK with the tires and how it feels the steering wheel can be brought straight by an alignment shop or you can remove it (not how they would do it) center it and re-secure it in place.

HarborBus
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
If you had an alignment problem running your hands across and around the tires would allow you to feel evidence of mis-alignment assuming you do not feel it already in the steering wheel.

If all is OK with the tires and how it feels the steering wheel can be brought straight by an alignment shop or you can remove it (not how they would do it) center it and re-secure it in place.

Jon, the tires feel fine and there is no vibration at all in the steering wheel. What do you mean "not how they would do it"?

So from the info I have given would you have the bus realigned?

Jon Wehrenberg
03-17-2010, 06:32 PM
The normal way is to thread the tie rod end adjustments in and out to center the wheel while retaining the proper toe in on the coach. That involves getting the coach up on the alignment machine.

tdelorme
03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Elliott, my guess is that when someone installed a new steering wheel the tires were off center. If the coach is steering properly and the tires wearing evenly I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you enough, you can remove the steering wheel and replace it in the position you prefer with the tires straight. I installed a new fancy steering wheel on our old coach a couple of years ago. When I drove the bus the first time I found that I had missed getting the wheel in the perfect position. After a couple of trips with it off center, I pulled the wheel and got it where it should have been in the first place.

BrianE
03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
An easier and much more accurate way to align the steering wheel is to lengthen or shorten the drag link which is the rod that connects the pitman arm to the steering linkage. This is an approved procedure and will not change the alignment on an IFS bus. Need input from a solid axle guy as to whether this is an okay procedure for straight axle steering.

HarborBus
03-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Jon, thanks for the clarification, Ted I don't think a new steering wheel has been installed but it's good to know that it isn't a huge job to replace the steering wheel, what wheel did you install? Brian great information and I would like it done correctly, thanks. Thanks to you all for responding.

I double checked the tires and after closer inspection I can feel a little cupping on the second tread in on the right front. So I think I'll have them align it. I have no idea what is reasonable, Prevost has quoted $650.00, do you think that is in line????:eek:

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Elliot, that is probably about right for alighment price.

Loc and I had our bus's aligned here in Houston and that was what the dealer charged me. I only needed a normal alignment.

Loc I believe paid way much more than this, but we all know they saw Loc coming . :D

Gary S.

BrianE
03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Elliot, We had our bus aligned at Western Bus Sales in Portland, OR last month. They did a good job and it took less than 2 hours. $350.00. Another good resource is Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene, OR. Any reputable alignment company that does trucks and buses should be able to do the job for a lot less than your Prevost quote.

HarborBus
03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Brian, I totally forgot about Kaiser, a friend has used them for years and I know several other people that swear by them, thanks for the reminder it's on my way home so we'll do that. Again thanks to all that took to time to post. It this a great forum or what.:):)

Orren Zook
03-18-2010, 05:21 AM
I double checked the tires and after closer inspection I can feel a little cupping on the second tread in on the right front. So I think I'll have them align it. I have no idea what is reasonable, Prevost has quoted $650.00, do you think that is in line????:eek:

Seems a little pricey for a front end alignment, are they replacing quite a few parts?

campers
03-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I just have had an alignment. Did ask Liberty in Stuart. Fl. where I could get a good alignment. They mentioned " Port St. Lucy Tire" in Port St. Lucy. Florida.
This company did a very good job, and the charge was $ 125.00
( only the front tires.)

Kevin Erion
03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I think one thing that should get mentioned when quoting the price is a 3 axle or just the front. This will change the price. I did use Kaiser for my 3 axle and they did a great job!

garyde
03-18-2010, 11:26 PM
A toe in or out alignment should be less than $200.00. But if you need more , it will cost more.

phorner
03-19-2010, 09:28 AM
If the bus has had a good three-axle alignment once, does that imply that future alignments are only required at the steer axle?

I can understand the possibility of the front end needing periodic alignment.

Any thoughts regarding the conditions under which you would need to re-visit the tag and drive axles?

rfoster
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Yep: When you knock the crap out of a curb in a turn with the tag & or rear drive. I was quoted 600 bucks for the three axle alignment from Prevost Nashville in 2006. Plus parts if needed.

Inflation has not hit Prevost yet. They have always been High on price.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Yep: When you knock the crap out of a curb in a turn with the tag & or rear drive. I was quoted 600 bucks for the three axle alignment from Prevost Nashville in 2006. Plus parts if needed.

Inflation has not hit Prevost yet. They have always been High on price.

Roger, then does that mean that my bus had the crap knocked out of it:eek:?

JIM:confused:

rfoster
03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Jimmy C: Those long cold winters in the frozen north are not making you paranoid are they?

Get that bus out and ride, find some bugs to splatter on the windshield. It makes life a lot better when you are burning diesel fuel and making smoke.

and to answer your question =No, that bus was treated very gently while in the southland by yours truly.

dale farley
03-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Jim C., Don't worry about little things like that. Roger was thinking about you when they gave him that price. He said, "I think I'll let the next owner worry about this one."

Actually, if you haven't noticed a tire problem by now, I doubt that you have an alignment problem. Considering the way the commercial bus drivers handle the buses, I think the alignment components are rather sturdy and don't "necessairly" need adjustment every time we hit a curb.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I see, it was then, a hypothetical example of what would need to be done to the bus for it to require a three axle alignment.

JIM;)