PDA

View Full Version : Roof Cleaning

garyde
09-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Ok, So I got up on the roof today to sweep off the Ash from a distant Fire blowing Ash into Santa Barbara. What I discovered is a Rough Surface top , which has no seams, nor rivets, except at the front and back where the Fiberglass Caps meet. Can you all give me some insight .... Is it OK to be up there, to wash and maintain or not. It seemed a little soft in places with crossmembers every 30 inches or so for solid support . My Country Coach felt more firm. Also, I was told by Troy at Liberty the Top was Metal, and it expands and contracts during the day and makes some snapping noise. I am assuming this is normal.

dalej
09-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Gary, you can wash away. I always try to step on the cross members while up there, just to keep the metal straight. Its a good time to check things out up there also.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Gary, The roof is aluminum, which is heated before application at the factory so it is drawn tight as it cools. All our coaches make funny noises as the sun starts to warm up the skin because as it gets hot it expands and "oil cans".

Wash away, but as Dale suggests try to stay on the cross members. In between them is the foam insulation and walking between the cross members will loosen it.

I usually wash the roof while standing on a ladder and use a brush with a long handle. I avoid walking on the roof unless necessary.

Kevin Erion
09-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Gary,
I use a warehouse ladder on wheels with a brush on a long pole. I feel that the roof is not intended to stand on and unless you must for some repair reason I stay off.
Kevin