PDA

View Full Version : Chassis light bulbs

rahangman
03-14-2010, 01:01 PM
OK, wanting to upgrade my rear lighting while camped in Colorado , brakes,rear lights,turn directionals etc from the incadescent to LED. Got some 1156R (red) to change out and was glad I did. None were out, but several were stuck so bad, I wound up pulling the entire light fixture out to remove bulb so as to not damage anything, as I would imagine that they are hard to find replacements for. So, I checked my prevost parts booklet (from Prevost) which stated 12vdc for 1156 bulb. Got the bulbs, installed (lubed real good with dielectric lube) and checked out. BOY are they bright! BUT, without testing with a meter yet, I figure they must be 24vdc due to 3 bulbs "burnt/melted" So, checked CatView and , yup, 21-24vdc. Now I have to find the correct incadescent bulbs as I am not finding any 24vdc LED's. Howsomever, I am not finding, in stock, any 1156 bulbs in 24vdc here in Colorado Springs. LEDTRONICS and a couple of other .com locations are not coming up with 24vdc LEDs. Any help. Is the 1156 bulb the correct ones?:o

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Rodger, I am always on the lookout for 24V led lamps and fixtures, haven't found any yet. I guess there isn't enough demand at this time to warrant anyone making them up.
They definitely would be nice to illuminate the bays.

I don't know about the brake and directional lights, havn't had occasion to look into that.

Why not ask Prevost?

JIM

rahangman
03-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Jim, thanx, I am getting keyboard cramping, finding most LED emit forward and my light fixtures are set up for bulb coming in from outboard side causing the 12v LED (before meltdown) to illuminate to the inboard side of lens more than an overall lighting. I see some that are at 90 Degree angle, (big $$) and wonder. As info, yes I got out into the snow today with meter...yup, 24v. Should have looked at CatView first. Catview says they are #7511 with a different Prevost Part# than what my list shows....hmmmm time to call Prevost
Thanx for the guidance. ;)

Jon Wehrenberg
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
If you all (you all is kind of a southern phrase) need 24V bulbs and don't absolutely have to have the LED lights, WW Grainger is a good source. Also, on line there are numerous companies that sell bulbs.

Everyone should be aware that Prevost chassis lights used to be 24V, with only the sealed beam headlights being 12V. I do not know when it changed, but later model XL coaches were switched to all 12V exterior lighting.

Due to the mix of voltages on both the chassis and the house it always pays to verify the lamp voltage before replacing.

stevet903
03-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Check this site out, it has what you need!! 24V 1156 bulbs as well as some other 24V LED lighting....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=OTHER

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Check this site out, it has what you need!! 24V 1156 bulbs as well as some other 24V LED lighting....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=OTHER

Very interesting source Steve, I'll check it out thoroughly.

As time passes there will be more and more conversions to LED lighting.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
03-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Rivets and filaments forever!

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I too like the glow of a filament. The glow of the old radio tube was something to behold. :D Now it's all transistors and diodes, the romance is gone.:cool:

The problem on the bus is, the bay light fixtures diffuser melts from the heat of the filament/element:eek: disgusting to look at those brown spots, don't you agree.

JIM;)

Orren Zook
03-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Jim, you can still get the lens for the lights in the bays: Signal Stat 9007C or 99007C - The Signal Stat line is now owned and sold by Truck-Lite of Falconer NY. The cost is under a dollar.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
One of my projects on the "to-do" list is to improve the bay lighting.

I do not know if others feel the same way but my lights are not placed where they are most effective, and the type of lighting could certainly be improved, perhaps with fluorescent fixtures or some other type to direct the lighting where it is needed.

The lighting project is likely to end up being a winter project, but when I do it I will also correct another pet peeve with my coach and that is to put a 120VAC outlet in each bay. My first coach had that feature and I sure miss it.

That way I would not need a trouble light and an extension cord to polish my plumbing.

Orren Zook
03-16-2010, 08:55 AM
One of my projects on the "to-do" list is to improve the bay lighting.

I do not know if others feel the same way but my lights are not placed where they are most effective, and the type of lighting could certainly be improved, perhaps with fluorescent fixtures or some other type to direct the lighting where it is needed.

The lighting project is likely to end up being a winter project, but when I do it I will also correct another pet peeve with my coach and that is to put a 120VAC outlet in each bay. My first coach had that feature and I sure miss it.

That way I would not need a trouble light and an extension cord to polish my plumbing.

I have AC florescent lighting in the first bay (both sides) and it is a life saver at night... Jon - won't you need an extension cord for your portable buffer to polish that copper? or do you do it by hand with Brasso and a cloth?

JIM KELLER
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Jon, My Country Coach has a 120 VAC in each Bay !

rfoster
03-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Jon:

My Country Coach has 110 volt in each bay.:cool:

rahangman
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
My Country Coach has 120vac outlets in all bays also. Besides, Jon, if you have to bring an extension cord AND Trouble Light to do the polishing, don't you already have a "Liberal" way of lighting your bays...??? the question had to be asked (first shot fired?)

I do thank you all for the info....I got ahold of PASS for help, they contacted the local Prevost Tech who steered me to the Local Grayline Shop Foreman, Don Niewald who has been VERY helpful, providing me with the necy bulbs (even gave me selection to try, varying wattage to determine best glow). He also states that if one needs Emer Help they do help out on Chassis problem after their local fleet requirements are met. Good information while traveling and not close to Prevost Service Centers.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I need 120VAC in each bay for the power tools I intend to use so my plumbing does not look like CC plumbing.

Obviously since Liberty coaches are sold to the elite who have their people polish the plumbing, outlets are not really required, but since my last Liberty had them, I want them again. CC copied that feature from my last bus.

If both of you have jobs, why aren't you paying attention to business instead of picking on me?

JIM KELLER
03-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Jon Hope I have a Business when we get back. On our way to N.C. for ten days. Hope to take care of all the effects of a very cold Winter. Left warm and sunny Fla. at 70 degrees. Sitting at 63b cold and rainy 40 degrees.

dale farley
03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Jon, I have 120VAC in each bay, and my plumbing is not exposed, so it doesn't need polishing.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-18-2010, 07:04 AM
So what you are saying Dale is that CC is ashamed of their plumbing?

dale farley
03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I am saying CC is smart enough to place it behind a nice panel, easily accessible if the need ever arises. Are you telling me that you are so proud of your "house" plumbing that it is exposed for all to see, and do you polish it also? I know Di is not falling for that one!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
As a matter of fact our house plumbing is outdoors for all to see.

dale farley
03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Outdoor plumbing must be a Tennessee thing. The last place I lived (about 20 miles from Chattanooga) in Tennessee had outdoor plumbing.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Actually it is not really plumbing. I just pee off the deck.

JIM KELLER
03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Dale, You had to keep pushing him, didn't ya.

truk4u
03-19-2010, 09:09 AM
What he forgets, is he's peeing into his tomato plants!:o

rfoster
03-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Truk: Thanks for the warning. If Jon offers me tomatoes this summer - I will pass.