PDA

View Full Version : Traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway

Wahoo
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
We are planning on a trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway in May. Wondering if anyone has any helpful hints or advice about the area.

sawdust_128
03-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Check the road closures. There have been landslides in the past 6 months, plus landslide warnings and construction closures.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

I don't take my coach on any part of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I always camp near an entrance and cruise it in the toad.

We've spent close to three months up there in that past year+. Be happy to share info with you.

PM me if you want.

RonAltman
03-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Last summer we purchased a lot at an motor-coach resort in Galax, VA that is just off of the parkway. In order to get to a RV repair shop to have some awning repair done, I took a 15 mile shortcut on the parkway several times. The parkway is truly beautiful, but personally I would not drive my coach along the parkway other than for a shortcut. It is two lanes and, in my opinion, too narrow for a large coach. Another big negative is the abundance of trees that hang over the side of the road that you will need to move over for or risk scratching your coach.

James
03-13-2010, 10:17 AM
We drove the parkway from Gatlinburg, TN to Boone, NC. Beautiful drive but had to sometimes drive in the center of the road to avoid overhanging trees. Even then we hit a few.

We also went down the center of the road in some of the tunnels, probably more for peace of mind than for actual clearance requirements. The sides of the tunnel slope in and appear to be close at times.