PDA

View Full Version : Tire Time

phorner
03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Since I endured a flat tire least summer while many thousand miles from home, and 5 of my tires were '04 date codes with some minor cracking starting to show, I decided that it was finally time for some new rubber on the bus.

So... off to buy some new shoes.

Final cost was $4,273 for 5 new (2010 date coded) Michelin XZA2 tires.

OUCH!! :eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
03-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Did you price Chinese tires? For five Michelins that price is outrageous. I think they are trying to find the highest price loyal customers will pay and they will not back off until sales start to drop.

HarborBus
03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
OUCH for sure:eek: I priced all 8 XZA2's last summer at $5517.68 no sales tax in Oregon.

phorner
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Jon,

I didn't price Chinese tires. Two of the new tires were to go on the steer axle, and I wasn't sure I wanted to try Chinese tires in that position just yet.

Sure does encourage me to put a lot more miles on the bus to try to justify the cost/mile. It is a shame to have them age out long before they're even close to being worn out.

phorner
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Did you price Chinese tires? For five Michelins that price is outrageous. I think they are trying to find the highest price loyal customers will pay and they will not back off until sales start to drop.

Truly outrageous is the list price that they show on the invoice at..... get ready for this...... $1,275.56 per tire!!

Can anyone imagine any scenario under which a single tire for an XL bus being worth that much money???

When I saw that list price, I couldn't believe what I was reading.

GDeen
03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
When I was at Prevost last month, I was discussing tires with the parts guy. He mentioned that they had dropped their prices to be more competitive. I said no way you guys are in line, but he quoted around $650 for an XZA2. I was surprised they were that low as I expected more like $800 from them.

Paul, after seeing the variability in Chinese quality control on oilfield tubulars, no way I would trust my families life to riding on them in the bus. I know others have had good luck, but no telling when one arbitrarily gives up the ghost. Better places to save money than tires.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Well I hate to jump in here, because I am sure most everybody on this panel knows more about these buses than I do......... However, I put an entire set of the CHINESE TIRES "Double Coins" on my bus and couldn't be happier. They ride great, have not given me one moments problems for the 3000 miles I have run them so far. I also used the DynaBeads for balance, and am extremely happy with the way that turned out too.

The BEST $ 3500.00 for all 8 tires, mounted, balanced I have ever spent. I might add too, these are 20ply tires, and rated for 10,000lb each, well above what the Michelin's will carry.

http://www.doublecoin-us.com/

RR202 FEATURES & BENEFITS
• 10,000lb load carrying capacity for heavy load applications
• Modern multi rib tread design excellent for free rolling applications
• Durable casing provides long original tread life and promotes multiple retreads
OVERALL SECTION TREAD single dual Static revs PRODUCT TIRE PLY LOAD SPEED DIAMETER WIDTH DEPTH max/load max/load Load per CODE SIZE RATING INDEX SYMBOL (INCH) (INCH) (32NDS) RIM pressure radius mile weight

If you would like to talk to someone at Double Coin, the MFG. please call and mention my name:

Aaron C. Murphy
Vice President
CMA, LLC
406 E. Huntington Drive
Suite 200
Monrovia, CA 91016
888-226-5250, 626-301-9579 (fax)
aaron.murphy@cmaintl.com

OK let the bad mouthing begin::confused:

Gary S.

Trendycat
03-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I just had 8 Michelin XZA2's put on at Prevost Dallas for just under $5,800 - a much better price than I expected.

I had 8 Toyo M111Z's put on the bus at Les Schwab in Montana last summer for $4,500 and they never rode right. Despite adding Centramatic balancers and then having them pulled and balanced (an average of 21oz of weight per tire) they still threatened to shake the bus apart.

It appears that they were either defective or mounted improperly since all of the tires showed a significant "hop" on the spin balancer. Trying to work some type of reimbursement out with Les Schwab - otherwise it will turn out to have been a very expensive mistake.

Devin W
03-10-2010, 01:21 AM
When I was at Prevost last month, I was discussing tires with the parts guy. He mentioned that they had dropped their prices to be more competitive. I said no way you guys are in line, but he quoted around $650 for an XZA2. I was surprised they were that low as I expected more like $800 from them.

That sounds about right as I was quoted $650/tire from TCI for 4 new Michelin drive tires and ended up getting them for $560/ea.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-10-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm about 2 years away from beginning the tire replacement cycle again. I am approaching 6 years on the tags but as yet there is no sign of cracking so I will ride them and monotor them in accordance with recommendations from both Michelin and Goodyear.

However, based on 4.5 years performance on the Double Coin they are assuredly on the short list of tires to consider.

When Roger and I bought the Double Coin the dealer said his customers for them were truck / trailer fleets. Those guys cannot afford tire failures.

mike kerley
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Paul, Did you get yours at St. Lucie Tire and Battery?

phorner
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes, Mike, I did.