PDA

View Full Version : Kubota Genset

Journeyone144
03-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi People,
My Kubota Genset will start but won't stay running...before I call anyone I was hoping I might get some suggestions as to what may be the cause...
Hopefully talk more intelligently to the mechanic I expect to be calling...
Thanks for any input...
Hugs Always Viv...
88 Prevost Le Mirage XL

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't know if this helps, but it is a try:confused: Look under Sparky's corner under Forum. They are talking about a failed solenoid. What do I know? I am here in Key West freezing and also another lady. Sandy
I hope some one can help you Vivian:)

BrianE
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Viv,

Your genset almost certainly has fail safe systems that will cause it to shut down if it overheats from a leak or low radiator coolant. It also may have a low oil pressure shutdown feature. It would help if you could tell us how long it runs after you have started it, and how long you have to wait before you can start it again.

If you let us know what your current location is, I'm sure that a nearby POG member will assist you in finding a qualified repair person.

rodburtonmusic
03-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Hey Viv..

Check the e-mail I sent you as well. My universal did exactly the same thing...would run for 2 or 3 minutes..then shut off. My issue was the filter in the water separator. Easy, low cost fix.

Pete
03-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Viv, if you have "Auto Start" on your generator, make sure the switch is in the "Off" position as it will cause the generator to shut down soon after it starts.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-07-2010, 11:24 AM
While everyone's advice may in general be helpful, be aware there are many conversions, many variations of those conversions and consequently features or devices that may differ significantly from those you are familiar with.

Brian is headed in the right direction by asking for very specific information, and likely a lot more information may be required before the true analysis begins.

Step one will be to get as much information as possible, including if it has auto-start, who the converter is, what year, if anything has been serviced recently, what is the starting process (push a button and wait, or manually go through all steps like pre-heat, start, etc.). Has the coolant level been checked, oil level?, last fuel filter change?, etc.

garyde
03-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Viv. How long has it been since you last had it serviced? It should be serviced once a year or more depending on use. Most of the recommendations made are part of a annual service.

Journeyone144
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Gimmie a break Gary,
I have the Bus not quite 8 mo....lol.. I'm okay, Got home fine...hating the miserable rain, then home to snow and cold as much as all of us...I'm really anxious to get it out of the yard...This Sat. if it doesn't rain or snow I am...I'm taking it just 6 miles over to the Lakewood, NJ Bus Terminal I used to drive out of...then just go for a ride...aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

You know I joined an Association of Driver Retiree's to set up a museum for old busses...and some of the busses chosen to be refurbished are housed at that garage and members meet.... I sent you pics....there usually every Sat. to work on them...I usually am just a Gofer...the only woman again...I bring Donuts & Coffee...Not good for much else at my age or ability...but I do as much as I can...

Since I'm back from Fl. They're after me to bring the bus over...I haven't been there yet...just tooo gosh awful cold...but I still would have gone if not for the snow and not being able to get it out...and even now,"here's a laugh for ya"..

I have just figured out a way to unplug the bus and still be able to get the power cord back under it and re-plugged into the house outlet I had installed for it...I'm going to tie a heavy string to the cord end and let it. "the String" lay where the power cord usually is while I'm gone...then I can just tie it back onto the power cord and pull the cord under the bus and back to it's home outlet on the house...It can't reach the outlet without going under the bus...got all that...lol...tell me anyone else has to go thru' this just to take their bus out...

Incidently when I got home with the bus my neighbor across the road, Frank, crawled under it to get the power cord over to the house...I could never do that...I do sure need friends to manage at all...

But thank goodness...I have my bus..!!! and I couldn't even get in it for 3 whole weeks..I was scared let me tell ya...but by gosh that precious bus kicked over at first turn of the ignition key...I was delighted..!!!!

The genset wouldn't start on my way home from Fl..at a Flying J..I think it was somewhere in NC..so I just went to bed while the coach was still warm...Heat works beautifully...no Video or DVD that nite...TV you ask..?? What's that..?? Have no Satellite connection yet...Don't want to pay for a 2 yr. contract when I'll only be going on one and two week trips all summer.. I'm happy with Tapes...TV news all bad anyway...

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and advice..love ya...
Hugs Always Viv...

Hi Viv. How long has it been since you last had it serviced? It should be serviced once a year or more depending on use. Most of the recommendations made are part of a annual service.

GSwaim
05-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Viv,
Just went through this same symptom with my generator. There is an oil pressure, water temp, high heat and possibly a radiator fluid level sensor that will have to be checked. These all will send the generator controller a no go signal and prevent the generator from running after the starter disengages. My problem ended up being the fluid level sensor in the top of the radiator. I cut the wires going to the sensor and the problem disappeared. Now all I have to do is replace the sensor. Hope this helps.