PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Balancing

Danss
09-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Some use weights, some use equal however, I understand there is another product called COUNTERACT at least I think that is the name. Anyone had experience with this product? Thanks

Jon Wehrenberg
09-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you are the first to post anything about its existence. Is there a web site?

dalej
09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.counteractbalancing.com/

Looks pretty good!

Jon Wehrenberg
09-21-2006, 07:13 AM
DANSS,

Where Equal looks like sand, this stuff being small beads seems to be better. I'm assuming what I call beads is like BBs and not grains of sand. Regardless I have used that balancing method for years and it is superior to weights in my opinion.

When I change tires next year I will consider using this.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I thought that Balance Masters by Sun-Tech Innvocations http://www.balancemasters.com/motorhomes.html was one of the best ways to balance the wheels on these big rigs?

Anybody using this method or had any experiences with it?

Gary

Orren Zook
01-10-2007, 05:30 AM
I had counteract installed when I put steer tires on my last American Eagle, it seemed OK at highway speed but at lower (20-35mph) speeds allowed tire vibration that caused some visible scalloping of the tiread after about 8000 miles.
I prefer spin balancing on the steer tires because each tire wheel combination can have the exact amount of weight needed put on - where's that extra pound or so of weight go with this method when you only need a ounce of weight to perfectly balance a tire. I have also seen brand name tires so out of round that no amount of weight could take the vibration/tire hop out,but spin balancing will demonstrate this before you leave the tire shop.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-10-2007, 08:40 AM
We have these on our bus and I love them although there is a slite compramise that Orren eluded to. They take a couple of miles to SET and when you first hit the road you feel a slite wobble on the wheel but very soon there after things become soooooooooo smooth its unreal. The same thing at slower speeds. I think if you were in a situation where your constantly stoping and starting that might be bad under certian situations but havent experienced this as of yet.

Orren also made a great point that I would like to add to and that is in my experiance that the manufacturers do a POOR job at best at tire quality concistantcy. You see it all the time at the races. A guy dominates ALL DAY only to come in for a final pit-stop and gets a "bad set" and doesn't win. I can not tell you how many times I've put new steer tires on the Pete only to hit the road with a shimmy that wasn't previously there. Case in point. the manufacturer often puts a DOT on the sidewall that is supposto line up with the valve stem. They try to use the valve stem to correct an imbalance in that tire that THEY KNOW is there. Nice hu.

Anytime I buy new tires I make it clear to the seller that if there is ANY ISSUES with ballance or the feel of a wobble that it will be imideatly corrected to my satisfaction or they will be taking them back. Make them put it in writing ON THE BILL and I assure you if you get an EGG, and believe me, there are plenty of new tires out there like this, they might try 1 more time to ballence and then will without argument switch it for another new tire that will usually completly correct the situation.

As for the ballance rings, again, I love them.

Joe Cannarozzi
04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
What the heck is the manufacturer or name for these wheel balancers that mount up behind the rim with the lead beads in the ring that I and I know others here have as well? I think Rodger has them for one.

Thanks in advance.

tdelorme
04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
What the heck is the manufacturer or name for these wheel balancers that mount up behind the rim with the lead beads in the ring that I and I know others here have as well? I think Rodger has them for one.

Thanks in advance.

Is this them, Joe?
http://www.centramatic.com/New_Catalog/600series.php

Joe Cannarozzi
04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, thanks again Ted.

Loc
04-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't have them on the bus, but I do on the Jeep. The Centramatics work great. I have never been able to get a good balance on the 35 inch off road tires until the Centramatics. I would think that they would go as good a job on the bus. Same principal as Equal (balance while moving), but without the chance of deflating tires because of a bad valve stem.

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I bought a set of the Centramatics and hope to have them installed on all the wheels by the time we get to Sevierville.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
If you bring them to Sevierville we can install them there.

If you take the ugly plastic windscree off the front of the bus.

That is like putting a bra or mud flaps on a Rolls.

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM

"DENTS" or "DENTFREE" That is the question we must ponder.

BrianE
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Joe,
You might visit the Balancemaster websight that Gary posted. I spoke to the manufacturer at the Pomona FMCA Conv. and he pointed out that Balance Master is similar to Centramatics but uses mercury as the weight medium. Much smoother, absolutely quiet, and will not wear out over time. They were a little less than $200 per axle. That being said, we are installing new tires as I speak and the dealer is primarily heavy truck oriented. He carries Centramatics but feels they are not as good as computer spin balancing which gives the installer the opportunity to inspect the tire for trueness as he installs them as well as giving a better balance. He also says that he gets far more requests for equal than Centramatics when folks insist on a dynamic balancer.

Someone once said fact clouded by opinion is our worst enemy.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Brian, don't you think the tire guy has a vested interest in his opinion. When he spin balances, he gets more money, than he does when he places centramatics over the studs.
Tell him he should already have inspected the tires and rims, because he just sold them and mounted them.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Brian,

My first coach ate up a set of tires in 70,000 miles despite multiple spin balance sessions. Tire pressures were always per the Michelin specs.

So the next set I used Equal.

At 130,000 miles I still had 1/4" of tread but they had aged out. They were worn evenly, unlike the ones that were spin balanced. They had cupping and I had to break the wheels and tires down to put the cupped tires on the drive to straighten them out. No more balance weights for me.

I will surmise Centrimatics or Equal function in the same fashion so results should be the same. Equal is just more economical at about $10 per tire.

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Jon Thinking about this proposal, I don't know If I have enough ass to do that many lug nuts by hand. Perhaps in my younger days but now I think I would need one of those 80 gal tank compressors you suggest and an Impact.

dale farley
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Jim, All you need is that 12X multiplier and Karen can take them off.

Orren Zook
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I will surmise Centrimatics or Equal function in the same fashion so results should be the same. Equal is just more economical at about $10 per tire.

Wouldn't the use if Equal or other powder type balancers impact the operation of air pressure sensing devices that some are using? I'm sure that the centrifugal force 'should' spin the product to the tread portion of the tire -but- there's always that possibility.

JIM KELLER
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Jim, All you need is that 12X multiplier and Karen can take them off.

Dale, bring that thing to Tn. I would like to look at it, not use it, just look.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I'll have mine so Karen can work the wheels on her side of the bus.