PDA

View Full Version : CA Road Trip

GDeen
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Headed to the San Luis Obispo area in a week for spring break to visit our college boy at Cal Poly. Any suggestions on places to stay? I see a few parks / parking lots in the Pismo Beach and Morrow Bay areas. Would appreciate any knowledgeable insight.

Been working like a convict the past few weeks and really haven't had a breather to check into this. Hopefully not too late to find a decent spot - Thanks.

Ray Davis
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey Gordon,

I'm hoping you have time to stop by and have dinner or something enroute!

I'm not familiar with what is right in the area, but about 60 miles South there is Flying Flags resort in Buellton. A group of uf stayed there after Christmas. Nice park, and nice stuff around there (wineries, Solvang, etc).

I think that John (FlyU2There) has indicated he stays regularly at Pismo, so hopefully he'll jump in.

In understand there is some nice places in Paso Robles, but again, I've never camped there in the bus ...

ray

Loc
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
The best ones in the area that I have heard of are Pismo Coast Village http://www.pismocoastvillage.com/ and Pismo Sands http://www.pismosands.com/. Further away in Paso Robles is Wine Country RV Resort http://winecountryrvresort.com/ which is a great park. Ask for one of the sites in the upper part of the park if available.

flyu2there
03-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Gordon,

I guess that I am the resident expert on Pismo Beach as I have owned a home down on the water there for that past 12 or so years. I stay away during the rainy season which, maybe, will end some time before July. Very wet year over there!

Should you be an Elk, there is a lodge in Oceano, just a mile or two south of Pismo that has a few nice spaces. Wal-Mart's, parking lots and the like are pretty much a no-no in San Luis Obispo County, everything is posted No Overnight Parking; that was done some years ago to keep the macrame school bus crowd and surfers at bay.

Pismo Coast Village is fairly nice, good location but as Sid has mentioned, a bit tight for a big bus, although it is certainly doable. Book early and tell them you need a big space and 50 amps........... There proud of their park as well ($$$). Don't know about Pismo Sands, from the street (PCH) looks like a grass parking lot with hook ups. There is a state park as well just south of Pismo Coast Village but you will need to check if they have a length limit.

My personal preference is Avila Beach, actually past Avila at Port San Luis. http://www.portsanluis.com/ They do not take reservations and it fills up early but they have some kind of a host there who I would contact well prior to arrival....again, very beautiful and somewhat unknown area.

Paso Robles is a fair clip up the 101 from San Luis Obispo over that lovely Cuesta Grade and is an inland valley town which can get hot during certain times of the year. Morrow Bay is full of old hippies and fisherman, very nice place to visit when the fog is not there.

Send me a pm if you would like more info...restaurants and the like.

Ray Davis
03-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Tom....oops I mean John

?? :confused: OK, prove that I did it wrong!! The post says John! :D

Sorry, John ....

GDeen
03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Alright, thanks for the info...Loc, I believe you have camped in every place in America. That Millinium ain't no hanger queen eh?

Pismo Coastal Village says 40' max length. We scouted the place last year though and there was at least one H3-45 camped there. May just call and ask for a bus slot.

John, Morro definitely has an interesting vibe. We are not so interested in Paso - like the Pismo/SLO area much better. Will check out the Avila beach deal though.

Ray, don't know that we will make it into the LA area. Would love to see you guys, will keep you posted of schedule which is fairly tight.

Ray Davis
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Ray, don't know that we will make it into the LA area. Would love to see you guys, will keep you posted of schedule which is fairly tight.

If you get in a day early, you can camp at our home. Got 50A and water (no dump - sorry). From us up to SLO is around 5 hours, give or take.

Ray

flyu2there
03-06-2010, 05:51 PM
If you get in a day early, you can camp at our home. Got 50A and water (no dump - sorry). From us up to SLO is around 5 hours, give or take.

Ray

Ray
What are you doing, walking to Pismo? I can get from Yuma to Pismo in 6.5 hours block to block although one has to plan transit times for LA and, at any cost, avoid travel on the 405 (uggghhh!!). The most efficient route that I have found is the 10W to the 210 (just after the Banning Pass) to the 5 to the 126 to the 101N. Not the shortest but the fastest..... Now, a major accident, a water main break or a rush hour transit will skew that time, kind of the luck of the draw.

Gordon
I think you would really enjoy Avila (pronounced AVA-LAH)..try Fat Catz out there for B Fast (most excellent) avoid the restaurant on the pier. Try Mo's BBQ in PB avoid the clam chowder places as it is all canned. McLintocks is superb for steaks in AG (Arroyo Grande) stay away from the tourist McLintocks on the 101. Must have wine or a cocktail at the Sea Venture in PB...best sunset views you will ever sea (sic)..... Lotsa of Hollywood types hang out there if you are into that stuff! You are right about Morro Bay...but the fog is rampant...got to hit it on a good day or it really blows! Thirty or so miles up the road (1 or the PCH) is San Simeon...if you have never been there...do go!

BrianE
03-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Gordon,

Morro Bay is a very picturesque town with great seafood restaurants and a great wharf side atmosphere. We enjoy staying at the Morro Dunes. Ask to be parked in the newly upgraded big rig area. You can walk to the town via the beach from this park. When you leave Morro be sure to visit the Hearst Castle at San Simeon. They have two or three tours, if you have the time, take all of them. When you leave Morro you can continue up Hwy 1 if you're headed to Carmel and Monterey however the drive is very curvy and it's necessary to cross the median fairly often. It's doable but will definitely get your attention. It actually takes less time to return to Hwy 101 via Hwy 46 which is an excellent road.

Ray Davis
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
John, it's 240 miles from my home to San Luis. If you can average 60 MPH through SoCal, you're doing great. So, I always plan on average speed of around 50 to 55. 4 to 4.5 hours will get you there. Now, if I remember right, you told me in Vegas that you tend to drive a little faster than I do!

Ray

GDeen
03-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Alright, booked into the Pismo Coastal village place for a few days. She only has a few slots for 45 footers and we were able to get one (even though website says 40' max).

Decided against Morro b/c every time we have been there it has been foggy. Will definitely go to Morro though to eat at Taco Temple. Great spot if you haven't tried it.

Thanks for the input.

GDeen
03-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Had a nice trip out to CA. Ray, we never got close enough to you and Kathy to hang out - thanks for the invite and we look forward to the next time though...

Pismo Coastal is a pretty nice little park and is right on the beach. We were the only Prevost in there all week and I am sure the only 45' of any kind. No problems navigating even with the GX hooked up and we liked the beach vibe of the place. Excellent fire rings and firewood available made for nice evenings in the 50 degree weather.

It is hard not to like the Pismo / SLO / Morro Bay area. Great weather and really laid back. Made the SLO farmers market for the 3rd time Thursday night which is a can't miss street party.

John we had lunch at Mo's one day and dinner at McClintocks another. My college boy threw down on their monster "Baron of Pismo burger challenge" and won a tee shirt. He ate it in about 11 minutes and had the whole place cheering. Turns out he and his buddies do these type of things. I pointed to my ownself and reminded him genetics weren't in his corner on maintaining his 3% body fat, and food challenges were stacking the deck against him.:). Good calls though as the food was very good.

Spent a night at the MCCC in Indio. Man, what a place. Unfortunately we basically did a drive through, but I would love to go back and spend some time there. I can see why the SoCali crowd likes to go over there.

Stayed at the Hacienda in Las Cruces our first night out. Right on the interstate, easy in and out made for a good trip overnight. Boondocked both nights on the return at a TA near Phoenix and Walmartinez in Ft Stockton.

LA - what can I say? I pity you guys that have to deal with that constantly. We drove through the east and north side on Sunday morning which left me with my guard down mistakingly thinking it wouldn't be bad.:rolleyes: Trafffic, construction, pavement heaves, idiot drivers, ..... oh well.

Thanks for the help - great trip. 3214 miles and the bus ran great. Late yesterday we hit what one of my buddies calls a sweet spot.....great sunset on the W Texas desert, pavement smooth as glass, and we were just humming along in the quiet, silky smooth comfort of the bus taking it all in.:cool: